Nightlife on the Boardwalk

Disney1fan2002

<font color=red>Like OMG the TF is SOO psyched to
Can you compare it to Pleasure Island? Meaning, if my DH and I took my 15 yo neice with us to stay in the room at night with the kids, could DH and I make a night of it? Are there nightclubs? Do they have a cover charge? We have never been on the boardwalk, so please feel free to share what you can see and do on the Boardwalk! Thanks for any input :bounce:

Baordwalk is no comparison to Pleasure Island, there isn't nearly as much to do. The fun adult bar is Jellyrolls where they have dewling (sp) pianos and a cover charge and age limit. There's Atlantic Dance which has had trouble catching on. Then there's ESPN which is just a sports bar. There's a bus to Pleasure Island. Jellyrolls is lots of fun. But otherwise, it's not a pleasure island.

As CaptainMidnight stated, you would have more fun at Pleasure Island(Comedy Club,8Trax,etc). For dancing and music
musik36.gif
you will find a lot more choices at Pleasure Island.

You could certainly make a night of it. How many hours are in one night, anyway? 4 or 5?

There's a bit too much to do at Pleasure Island for one night, in my opinion. The best you could do is pop in a place, look around, MAYBE have a drink and go to the next place. It's sort of like doing the parks commando style. Can't really experience any one entertainment. The best nights we've had at PI have been when we've only gone to Adveturers Club or the Jazz Club, or maybe both.

If you've never been to the Boardwalk you can easily kill the first hour or so strolling the Boardwalk, watching the street entertainment and even gazing out at the lake. You could certainly make an enjoyable evening at Jellyrolls alone!

Just my opinion.

Cheaper to go to Boardwalk -free boardwalk street entertainment. Jugglers, piano player on wheels,comedy acts.
Isn't like $20 or more per person to get into PI after 7pm.

We've only stayed at Boardwalk 20 plus times and there is lot's of lively entertainment in the evening.
I know for a fact that during the weekend nights that the Boardwalk has had dancing/dance contests outside Atlantic Dance with a DJ. He played disco and such. Anyone could join in the fun.

Scott

PI has a lot more clubs but there is plenty to do on the boardwalk for an evening. We have spent many nights at Jellyrolls from around 9:30 PM until closing, this place is a lot of fun. My son, who is an adult and a BIG sports fan, almost lives at ESPN every night while at WDW. I really enjoy PI also and even have an PI annual pass but I only go to 2 clubs: the Comedy Warehouse and Adventurers Club, the rest of the clubs are not my cup of tea, my young adult DD though loves some of the dance clubs at PI. We usually spend about 3-4 nights at PI and at least 2 nights at the boardwalk clubs each trip. Both PI and the boardwalk are great and a lot of fun for an adult evening out.
There is a cover charge to get into Jellyrolls, Atantic Dance is free to DVC members and ESPN does not have a cover charge.

We just got back from BWV 2 weeks ago, and the last night there, my friends and DW went to Atlantic Dance. On a Sat night no less, there were maybe 30 people there! It was a VERY nice time, you are with your best friends, and have the whole dance floor to yourself! It was great, we let our teenagers keep the kids
(peace of mind), I would have worried more being a busride away at PI, plus it was FREE, (key word there, FREE) to get in. Yes the drinks cost, but it was a fun night, went there at 9:30, left at 11;30, and went over to Jellyrolls, and the cost was $7, and we said no thanks, and called it a night. I had never been there, and the staff was MORE than accomodating because not many people there, always a drink at my table. PLUS, if you indlulge too much, a 5 min walk to your room!!! (we did not have that problem)LOL..
DeerH

There are also some games on the Boardwalk as well. Water guns, basketball hoops, knock the cats down and flipping lobsters or frogs in the pond type of game. There is pizza, hot dogs, Ice Cream also. You can rent Surrey bikes and ride the path along the lake. So you can make a night of it with the kids or you can BE the kids and have just as much fun!!!

I'd have to agree with NJmouse.. IMHO, the entertainment on the Boardwalk would be much more condusive to a family then PI if you wanted to bring the kids in on the action...

Don't get me wrong.. I love PI.. Its worth a trip or two while you are down at WDW, but its nice being able to be within walking distance of your family.. Less stress and anxiousness for you means more fun in the long run.. :D

The street entertainment on the Boardwalk is fun.. There's shopping as you walk around.. You can rent a bike and ride around the lake, have a nice dinner at Spoodles or the Flying Fish. Get a boat ride to watch Illuminations. (Or even grab a bench and watch some of the taller fireworks from Illuminations.) Hang out on the beach by the BC.

Depending on the type of park pass you have, and whether or not you are going to burn a day, you are just a walk away from any kind of cuisine you could want at the World Showcase at Epcot.

Question - we visited the Boardwalk on a Friday night (7p-8:15) the last week of May and there was only one strolling entertainer with a washboard and whistle. There were no games or street people. We were very disappointed. Did we go at the wrong time, or is this just another area that Disney is cutting back??

Question - we visited the Boardwalk on a Friday night (7p-8:15) the last week of May and there was only one strolling entertainer with a washboard and whistle. There were no games or street people. We were very disappointed. Did we go at the wrong time, or is this just another area that Disney is cutting back??
The boardwalk entertainers are out performing at varying times during the evening and as everything else at Disney, during busier times the more often the entertainment is scheduled. You can get the times from the Boardwalk front desk.
There is never more than one street act going on at the same time and the acts are fairly spread out.
The games are the midway carney type games that open around dusk. There are about 4-5 of these type games and you win stuffed animals--typical carnival or boardwalk games. There is also a fortune teller, a huge arcade at ESPN, I think a hair braiding booth, pin station, etc.
The boardwalk is a very, very, small Disney sugar coated glimpse of what the real boardwalk was like in AC years ago. So slight that it does not really even remind me, who was born and raised in AC, of the real AC boardwalk! It is just a TOTALLY different atmopshere, so don't go expecting to see a "real" boardwalk, 'cause it ain't gonna happen. BUT Disney's version of a boardwalk is still a very nice place to spend an evening at. For a family it is very nice to have dinner at one of the Epcot resort restaurants--Cape May Buffet is great for families-- and then walk around the whole area including the YC/BC side, get an ice cream, walk over to the bridge to Epcot and catch Illuminations, play the carney games, watch the juggler, etc.
For an adults only party, some of the best WDW restaurants are in this area: Flying Fish, Shulas, Palios, Yachtsmen Steakhouse, so have a nice dinner and then go to Jellyrolls which is a lot of fun or ESPN or Atlantic Dance. Also make sure to take the time to take the very nice walk around the whole area and maybe sit on the beach at YC/BC, the whole area is gorgeous, especially at night. It is a wonderful way to spend the evening.
However....................
As much as BWV/BWI has a reputation for being the hustle and bustle, the noisy party central, etc resort at WDW, this area is very quiet and laid back compared to PI. You can have a very enjoyable time at boardwalk and have a great evening in the clubs if you wish, but if you want a really all out party atmosphere then go to PI. PI can get really wild and crazy especially on the weekends, CM night and if they are having a special event like Latin nights, Mardi Gras, etc.
I have to say. I agree 100% that the boardwalk is the place for a family of nighttime entertainment and NOT PI. PI is totally for adults, I am always amazed when I see people at PI at night with young kids.
So in answer to the OP, both boardwalk and PI have loads to do for an adult or family evening of entertainment, it all depends on what atmosphere you are in the mood for. Sorta sounds like choosing a DVC resort, hun?? LOL!

Kids are welcome at PI as long as accompanied by adults, right? Are there limitations to which clubs they can get in? Adventures Club? Comedy Club? Which clubs allow kids? I Know Jellyrolls on the boardwalk doesn't, but they might like the live band and firewarks at night at PI as a DVC entertainment alternative. We're trying to decide if as part of our BCV stay that we use the sandcastle club, and go to jellyrolls or bring the kids along and head to PI using DVC transportation.

Originally posted by CaptainMidnight
Kids are welcome at PI as long as accompanied by adults, right? Are there limitations to which clubs they can get in? Adventures Club? Comedy Club? Which clubs allow kids? I Know Jellyrolls on the boardwalk doesn't, but they might like the live band and firewarks at night at PI as a DVC entertainment alternative. We're trying to decide if as part of our BCV stay that we use the sandcastle club, and go to jellyrolls or bring the kids along and head to PI using DVC transportation.

I think it is a stretch to say that kids are welcomed at PI. It's more accurate to say "allowed" or maybe even "tolerated". As long as the kids are accompanied by their parent or guardian, they can enter all of the clubs on PI except BET and Mannequins. Those two clubs are 21 and older only.

Taking kids to PI is controversial - if you want to read some "interesting" threads on the subject, do a search. Most of the threads seem to end up on the Debate Forum. Personally, the only clubs I'd take a pre-teen or young teen into are the Adventurer's Club (early shows), Comedy Club (early shows) and the Jazz Club (depending on the act). I would not take a child younger than 11 at all, but that is me and the choice I made for my daughter. Be prepared for the kids to see drinking and the behavior that often accompanies it. Sometimes, usually later in the evening, that behavor gets to be way too much (lewd/puking in the street, YCH!) for this 50-something person and my DH & I leave earlier than planned (well before the fireworks at midnight). More often, though, you might wonder what all the fuss is about because the place is really pretty tame - kind of like network TV, LOL! Anyway, every evening is different. You don't know until you get there what type it will be. My guess is that the CM nights (they get in free) and weekends are the times you are most likely to see things you'd rather not.

Kids cannot get in with just any adult - for example an 21 year old cannot take a 17 year old sibling or friend unless he/she has a letter from the parent or legal guardian authorizing it. As far as I know, this is enforced, but I can't say for sure it is 100% enforced all the time.

Both JellyRolls and Atlantic Dance are for 21 and older. JellyRolls definitely checks ID and doesn't make exceptions(probably because it is a chain operation with a bar). I just loved JellyRolls, but it does tend to get very smoky in there. By the way, JellyRolls is not run by Disney and you cannot charge anything in there (including the cover charge to get in) back to your Disney resort.

HTH. Have fun no matter where you decide to spend your evening!

The OP asked a question about "2 adults " going out at night. Some how families and children got thrown in this thread :confused:.

The bottom line is if you want(adults only) to have more choices and options, then PI is the better choice if you are not bringing kids.
You have a choice of about 4-5 dance clubs
(8 Trax,Mannequins,Beach Club,BET,etc) the Comedy Club, Adveturer's Club,Jazz Club,New Years Celebration at midnight.

You can also see Cirqu Di Solei if you plan ahead. I agree with
crbalb post, the last 3-4 times we went to the Boardwalk at night between 8:00- 10:00 pm, there wasn't to much going on. If you go to PI between 9:00 - 11:00 pm there is a lot going on most nights. But I do agree that children should not be at PI after 8:00 pm.

CaptainMidnight,
Yes, kids are welcome on PI as long as they are accompained by an adult but PI is really not a place for young kids especailly at night once the place really gets going. Teenagers and older usually enjoy PI a lot because of the very loud music, the dance clubs, the comedy club, the whole party atmosphere, the NY Eve celebration and fireworks, etc, but there is really nothing there for young children. Also PI can get pretty crazy sometimes, and it is not unusual at all to see people really partying hearty. On it's craziest nights think NY Eve/Spring Break/etc all rolled into one. and then double it!! LOL! It is definitely a party atmopshere and drinking is very much present. There are outdoor bars set up on the streets and people walking aroung selling jello shots. PI before 10 PM can be somewhat mild but after that it is usually pretty loud, crazy, and definietly not for young children.
IMO, if adults really want to enjoy PI, leave the kids in a child care center or in room babysitting and you will have a fun, adult night, if not it is not really worth the price of admission. You will be happier here sans kids and the kids will be happier back at the room w/babysitter or in one of WDW wonderful child care centers.
I know it is confusing that Jellyrolls has an age restriction while PI does not and I have yet to figure Disney's logic in this, but believe me Jellyrolls is a mild, sedate afternoon tea party compared to PI when it really gets going! And this comes from much experience enjoying both places, LOL! Get a babysitter for the kids or use BCV child care center and the adults go to PI for the night, you will have a much better time and so will your kids.

You can also see Cirqu Di Solei if you plan ahead.
Not to be nit picking but since the OP was reagarding PI, I would not want anyone to get confused.........
Cirque de Soleil is not part of PI, it is on the opposite end of PI, it is not included in PI admission, it is a whole different entertainment venue and it is very much appropriate for all ages.

Originally posted by DeeP
Not to be nit picking but since the OP was reagarding PI, I would not want anyone to get confused.........
Cirque de Soleil is not part of PI, it is on the opposite end of PI, it is not included in PI admission, it is a whole different entertainment venue and it is very much appropriate for all ages.

I think it is "nit picking".........If you read my post, I said if you plan ahead, you can go to Cirque. I think most people would consider Cirque closer to PI than the Boardwalk.Most people know Cirque is not in PI.....but right next to it.

Sorry, I really did not mean to offend you! But when I read your post it sounded, that Cirque was also a part of PI and also something you could catch while on PI if you planned according. I just thought if someone was a newbie to PI and had no idea of what was there or the layout they could have possibly become confused regarding all that was available on and included in a PI admission! Jeez, I was only trying to help!:confused:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter