Next tropical storm (Erika) is on its way :-(

Ok so we go to Florida next September 21st, what happens if our flights were cancelled due to a storm, my travel insurance is provided free with my HSBC plus account, I just wondered if we would lose out on everything?

In the worse case, you will be delayed for a while, or as has been said, you will be diverted to an airport outside the effected area. then flown in after teh storms subside

Only if the hurricane hit the airport/resoprt, such as with New orleans would teh trip be cancelled and you insurance would kick in.

Is this going to hit Florida on Monday?

just keep an eye on the map on teh first post on this thread it will update.
At the moment on Monday its still way off the coast but you may have some rain and wind effecting the area, Tuesday/wed rather like flying to Manchester really! :rotfl::rotfl:

In the worse case, you will be delayed for a while, or as has been said, you will be diverted to an airport outside the effected area. then flown in after teh storms subside

Only if the hurricane hit the airport/resoprt, such as with New orleans would teh trip be cancelled and you insurance would kick in.

few years ago when Charley hit we had a connection to Tampa via Chicago. When we got to Manchester to check in they had just shut Tampa.Told us to come back next day or get in touch which would mean more than a few days:scared1:.
Me asked is Chicago open which was,as i new Charley was a fast moving hurricane (if you get one a fast mover is better as out of the way quicker) so i said would fly to Chicago and see if Tampa opened.As we hadn't checked in when Tampa had closed if we did fly to Chicago and couldn't get to Tampa we would have to put ourself s up for the night.
We opted to fly when we got to Chicago Tampa was still shut so i asked at check-in desk there where was open told Miami asked could we get on that flight and was told no problem
Flew to Miami picked our rental car from there no problem rental firm just transferred pick up.Of we whentand drove up that night
Luckily we were staying on site so everything was back to normal next day(rest of Orlando was in a mess)
One of the reasons we fly connecting in the hurricane months you have more options,direct would have had flight cancelled indirect we had more choice if first airport closed from Jacksonville down to Miami
Paul

As far as tropical storms go, Erika is looking pretty anemic right now, and there is little concern this will turn into a big storm through the Labor Day weekend. It seems that there is a lot of dry air invading the western flank of the storm now, and once it gets by that, it will have to deal with a zone of wind shear.

As a refresher, shear in the tropics refers to a prevailing flow that is in conflict with the circulation of a developing tropical storm. Even mature hurricanes have been significantly destroyed by wind shear.

In any case, Tropical Storm Erika will mosey along toward the west-northwest the next several days with little chance of becoming anything more through the weekend. The Bahamas can expect the disturbance to bring gusty breezes and enhanced tropical showers Sunday and Monday.

Story by AccuWeather.com Expert Senior Meteorologist John Kocet.

HOWEVER!
I am watching what the NOAA calls a "vigorous" tropical wave coming off the African coast today, lets see what that does...

two_atl.gif

You're a doom merchant Obi! :rotfl: I read up on the tropical wave and it is apparently very unlikely to develop into anything sinister, so fingers crossed! :goodvibes By the way, check Erika out on the map- she has shrunk significantly!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter