News Round Up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reducing the size of rivers of America... Going behind and to the left of HM...

Not a fan of that! Can't they use the land directly north of BTMR (over the tracks). As far as i can see, that land should be available. It doesn't appear to be wetlands, or hiding anything much. They could give riders on the train a bit more to look at too.

Not a fan of that! Can't they use the land directly north of BTMR (over the tracks). As far as i can see, that land should be available. It doesn't appear to be wetlands, or hiding anything much. They could give riders on the train a bit more to look at too.
Another option that's been discussed. We are a bit far out from it yet if it happens.

Problem is that there is no real way to open up that northern chunk for people to move there. The way Frontierland is designed, BTMR kind of blocks off that entire tip along the river's curve, and going west of that puts you in a very large backstage area.

They would have to push the railroad and have it bulge out more directly after the Frontierland station, and design new walkways and such alongside BTMR to even have this be an option.

The Frontierland thing is in my view a "Blue Sky" rumor. Something that's probably being discussed at high levels. (i.e. "We need more capacity at MK, where could we put it? Oh, Frontierland. What could we put there?") There probably throwing around ideas at WDI and seeing what sticks. That's also where the every once in the while Tomorrowland expansion rumors come from.

My guess is with the DAK and DHS expansions (and DSprings for another 12 months) sucking down money like drunken sailors there little chance of any big projects at MK in the next two years. Then they start to run into the run-up to the 50th, a year they definitely will not want major construction going on in the park, so either this is something that would happen in the 2018-2020 timeframe, or it won't happen until after 2021.

I definitely could see them sprucing up Tomorrowland. I don't know this for sure, but any major facility like WDW and each of the parks has to have a "to maintain" budget separate from their "new project" budget. With the hub and Pirates refurbs wrapping up, something will come on the plate for next year. How much longer until they give up on Stich. I've only ever been in there once, do they actually get people in there?

My guess is with the DAK and DHS expansions (and DSprings for another 12 months) sucking down money like drunken sailors there little chance of any big projects at MK in the next two years. Then they start to run into the run-up to the 50th, a year they definitely will not want major construction going on in the park, so either this is something that would happen in the 2018-2020 timeframe, or it won't happen until after 2021.

I'm not so sure. Disneyland is starting major construction in the middle of their 60th anniversary celebration.

I'm not so sure. Disneyland is starting major construction in the middle of their 60th anniversary celebration.
That is very good point. Also WDW doesn't care as much about anniversaries as Disneyland does.

I definitely think Disney is looking at it for capacity and from what I've heard it's farther along than blue sky but still not green lit by anyone high up.

And once again...for the 1,427th time:

"Celebrations" were an Eisner thing in wdw...the current managers get away with doing nothing and can charge more for it...

So foolish to think that a 2 year block is there as they try to convert to Beverly Hills...

You'll be able to buy tshirts...that's for certain...and a high intensity parade or two...
...definitely more dessert parties.

"Celebrations" were an Eisner thing in wdw...the current managers get away with doing nothing and can charge more for it...

If that's true, I think I can see where the business rationale lies: DL can definitely work numbers by appealing to the sentimentality of Californians and Baby Boomers by playing up how the park is *their* Disney. Whip up an anniversary, bang on a parade, sell some nostalgia, and the park numbers will respond. How well does that work for WDW though? Fifteeners aren't delaying their birthdays to line up with an anniversary. The rest of the international market largely wouldn't know or care, they'd just be pleased they seemed to be getting some kind of a bonus on a trip they'd already booked three months prior. DVCers will most likely be there whether or not. Star Wars and to a lesser extent Pandora will be bringing the hordes anyway. How much more will an expensive anniversary move the needle?

I can see for replacing the light shows for the anniversary, as it's just an easy time to switch them up (compared to DL, WDW's shows look rather tired). Advertising the anniversary costs nothing, as those dollars are spent anyway. Actual hard theming, and special events though, unless they're also hard-ticket up-sells, I just don't see that much happening, and if it does, my guess is it'll be confined entirely to MK. WDW as a whole will not see big events.

IMO, I am fine with the future projects of WDW. This is the most that is being done to the resort in a long time. DHS is getting two new areas that were needed. Especially, something for a younger audience with Toy Story Land. There is still potential for more expansion with this park. Epcot is getting Frozen Ever After and a Soarin' upgrade. This will provide more flow with the park. The only needed changes are: Innoventions, Imagination, and Universe of Energy and maybe something to the Wonders of Life pavilion. Animal Kingdom is getting a night time show and Pandora. Magic Kingdom doesn't need a whole lot of improvements. The hub construction will create better crowd control. Obviously, I would like something to happen to Tomorrowland or Frontier Land. However, the other parks were in need of something more and I am fine with capital expenditures to be spent on them rather then MK. I think the biggest thing that needs to change is Stich's Great Escape and maybe a new attraction to Frontierland. I miss Alien Encounter.

Listening to WDW Today podcast with Len Testa he said with talking to Jim Hill Disney is looking to drastically reduce the number of AP's at Disneyland. Disneyland currently has about 1.2 million AP holders and the want thhat number closer to 600,000...

That's insane if true especilly at Disneyland where people get way more upset about things than at WDW. I can only imagine what future price increases they are looking at for Anahein let alone WDW.

Yeah- it's during the "celebration", but the anniversary was July. This construction isn't starting until January of the following year. Disneyland did a whole pile of stuff leading up to the 60th, and during the 60th. (Let's call it from May - September). While they may not be taking the decorations down, it's not really the same.

That is very good point. Also WDW doesn't care as much about anniversaries as Disneyland does.

Well - they have cut back on that - but I would bet the 50th will be BIG deal in WDW. And of all the parks - they won't want MK under piles of construction walls.

The Frontierland thing is in my view a "Blue Sky" rumor. Something that's probably being discussed at high levels. (i.e. "We need more capacity at MK, where could we put it? Oh, Frontierland. What could we put there?") There probably throwing around ideas at WDI and seeing what sticks. That's also where the every once in the while Tomorrowland expansion rumors come from.

I definitely could see them sprucing up Tomorrowland. I don't know this for sure, but any major facility like WDW and each of the parks has to have a "to maintain" budget separate from their "new project" budget. With the hub and Pirates refurbs wrapping up, something will come on the plate for next year. How much longer until they give up on Stich. I've only ever been in there once, do they actually get people in there?
I actually don't think it's entirely unreasonable. Seeing as Disney should be finished with Disney Springs, Avatar, DAK enhancements, Frozen Ever After, Soarin upgrades, TSMM expansions, hub/infrastructure work, and Toy Story Land by 2017; that leaves Star Wars land, parking improvements, and perhaps another mysterious land. DHS will be getting the lion's share of all money spent for resort development. A misbalance that should be corrected if they're expecting Magic Kingdom to keep growing (and if RCID's building patterns are any guess, they expect it to). Say they break ground late 2017 (start of fiscal year 2018), they could have it done easily by late 2020 in time for a 50th celebration. Any additional costs would be offset by the decreased spending of the those above projects being finished. It seems perfectly possible.

Even if it did push into the 50th, it would be built in the far left corner of the park away from the majority of park activity.

Tomorrowland is an interesting slate to work with. Their current Sci-Fi theme seems to be working well, but updating attractions and increasing draw is what the need to do next. Design wise, we have one of the best Tomorrowlands because we're not actually trying to be a real "tomorrow."

And once again...for the 1,427th time:

So foolish to think that a 2 year block is there as they try to convert to Beverly Hills...

You'll be able to buy tshirts...that's for certain...and a high intensity parade or two...
...definitely more dessert parties.
I find that hard to believe. Walt Disney Company found the 50th anniversary Disneyland celebration at Walt Disney World very successful. It worked. Attendance went up, and general excitement levels went up too. I think what happened is Disney tried to turn every year into a "celebration." That led to burnout among fans, and a general hostility towards the concept. The 50th anniversary party at Walt Disney World is a legitimate reason to celebrate though. That's what set it apart. I'm pretty sure I wasn't the only fan who was jealous of all the cool stuff Disneyland was getting. I think TDO knows there's a distinction between what happened in 2007 and what happened at the Disneyland 60th. By putting out some collectibles, spending a couple million on ride improvements, and by putting up decorations, Disneyland went crazy. Even if they could only replicate some of the tiniest amount of that success, it'd be worth it. I'm betting we get a large celebration with new offerings for the 50th. I'm sure they have some gold decorations laying around in some warehouse...

Listening to WDW Today podcast with Len Testa he said with talking to Jim Hill Disney is looking to drastically reduce the number of AP's at Disneyland. Disneyland currently has about 1.2 million AP holders and the want thhat number closer to 600,000...

That's insane if true especilly at Disneyland where people get way more upset about things than at WDW. I can only imagine what future price increases they are looking at for Anahein let alone WDW.
You said it @rteetz. That's insane. They're betting on Star Wars and the continued growth of the Resort district. I think this could definitely work, but they'd better be confident before they betray hundreds of millions of dollars in revenue that know what they're doing. I've been one of the most ardent "Disneyland is discouraging pass holder growth camp."

This does seem odd coming off of the 60th AP love party, and MiceChat saying Disney was happy with their AP count.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter