News Round Up 2016

I know no economic boom lasts forever but I think they are going to do sow thing with the resorts I just don't know what that is yet. Whether it's in WDW or Disneyland.

I also think yes ESPN has problems and will continue to do so but I don't think they are Kodak.

ESPN has a serious problem. My theory: Everyone used to catch sports center and take in what ever games ESPN happen to be showing. Now, you have mlb network, nfl network, nhl network (or the amazing red zone) and paid streaming services. They need to change their model to survive.

ESPN has a serious problem. My theory: Everyone used to catch sports center and take in what ever games ESPN happen to be showing. Now, you have mlb network, nfl network, nhl network (or the amazing red zone) and paid streaming services. They need to change their model to survive.
That is true but there are still people who watch ESPN including myself. I mainly watch for college sports and then late night sports center when nothing else is on. The NFL network has NFL programming but with the new Thursday night deal will they broadcast any more games? As a Brewers fan we have a small market already so I never watch MLB network as the brewers are never on there.

That is true but there are still people who watch ESPN including myself. I mainly watch for college sports and then late night sports center when nothing else is on. The NFL network has NFL programming but with the new Thursday night deal will they broadcast any more games? As a Brewers fan we have a small market already so I never watch MLB network as the brewers are never on there.

You're right and I think now, you have much more choice than just what ESPN is showing. Getting to watch out of market games wasn't even a dream a few years ago, now the new networks make it possible. It's not that no one is watching, it's that they're watching a lot elsewhere.

A ton of people cutting cable for paid Internet streaming has to be killing them.

Personally, I think sports center has gotten awful. And for people like me who primarily watch hockey (Go Hawks), I can now watch actual hockey news that ESPN is in no way associated.

Having been to miller park twice, that is how you build a ballpark. Hope to see the sox is there someday.

ESPN was a really cool association Disney had going, but now it's a liability for a company that only moves forward.

As always. Keep up the great work on this thread and others!

You're right and I think now, you have much more choice than just what ESPN is showing. Getting to watch out of market games wasn't even a dream a few years ago, now the new networks make it possible. It's not that no one is watching, it's that they're watching a lot elsewhere.

A ton of people cutting cable for paid Internet streaming has to be killing them.

Personally, I think sports center has gotten awful. And for people like me who primarily watch hockey (Go Hawks), I can now watch actual hockey news that ESPN is in no way associated.

Having been to miller park twice, that is how you build a ballpark. Hope to see the sox is there someday.

ESPN was a really cool association Disney had going, but now it's a liability for a company that only moves forward.

As always. Keep up the great work on this thread and others!
I agree. At least around where I live our family and friends aren't cutting cable yet. I don't know anyone who has done it yet.

Sportscenter definitely has changed and like I said I usually only watch it late at night when not much else is on.

I do love Miller park, and I work there so that's an added bonus.

Thanks!

I dont know if this has been posted Disney giving away a free trip, google Star wars awakens contest, one entry a day, till feb 18th.

I agree. At least around where I live our family and friends aren't cutting cable yet. I don't know anyone who has done it yet.

Sportscenter definitely has changed and like I said I usually only watch it late at night when not much else is on.

I do love Miller park, and I work there so that's an added bonus.

Thanks!

We did. Honestly I don't even notice. All I really watch is hockey (I cut the chord on football last year), which I get through Center Ice anyways, the wife gets all her programs through Hulu/Netflix, and the daughter still gets Disney Junior.

As for ESPN, yes, you can still get college football. However, with FS1 and NBCSN continuing to push into that market, that share is going to keep decreasing. They are also losing many of their top hosts/personalities to the other networks. Are they going the way of Kodak? I don't think so. But are they going the way of say a Blockbuster/ToysRUs/Yahoo? That is a definite possibility.

There was good availability for DVC as of about a month ago for late March and beyond...there still most available in July (I've been trolling plans).

DVC will usually books up due to sheer volume of contracts...that's part of the genius of it. But these places are far from "slammed" in the planning phases. Two years ago it seemed like they were...that could be perception...

But when they unveiled "last minute magic" as part of DVC 25...there was your clue.

Not quite the same with rack rooms. I just did a quick scan for this Friday - a holidays weekend - and there were rooms available at 7 Disney hotels.

AoA suites (you gotta be crazy)
Two moderates
4 deluxes

That "ain't good"

So when people say "the parks are so crowded!!!!" The empiracle data doesn't quite bare it out.

And the questions of "when are they gonna build the marvel resort!?!?!?"

Umm...why?

Same with the earnings calls...I would love to see where all the numbers are coming from. It seems we are in an era of captain jack sparrow "go with rum" spending at disney parks...

What is the empirical data are you talking about?

What is the empirical data are you talking about?

Right...I had a brain fart there when I typed that...wasn't what I was going for.

There's a lot of chatter of how the parks are crammed to capacity. That is incorrect...they are nowhere near the case. My bad

Right...I had a brain fart there when I typed that...wasn't what I was going for.

There's a lot of chatter of how the parks are crammed to capacity. That is incorrect...they are nowhere near the case. My bad

Ok. I know the parks for the most part haven't seemed too bad to me in recent years, but we have also been picking our visits much more carefully recently to avoid the bad times. As for rooms, it feels like the rates are increasing while there are some nice hotels coming in very close. I wonder if more people are staying off site now.

I not sure how you argue that - the facts are against you:

attendance.jpg

MK: 13 % increase, Epcot: 5 % increase, DHS 7 % increase, DAK 9 % increase over the last 7 years. Considering if anything there are LESS attractions in Epcot, DHS, and DAK than there was in 2008 - MK is the only park that has added significant ride capacity since 2008. I can't say how you can argue that the parks aren't more crowded.

Now "crammed to capacity" - that's certainly not the case. But pretty crowded is a good bet. If you take MKs numbers, they are averaging 53,000 people a day in that park. That's crowded. I think a lot of people that complain about crowds are specifically complaining about crowds at MK. DAK and DHS are averaging 28,000 a piece.

And that's the big problem they have. MK continues to grow as a draw disproportionally. FLE was really a mistake in that it focused on the wrong park. They do the FLE to increase capacity at the park, but all it does is draw MORE people there. Look at the attendance increase from 2012 to 2014 - a 10% bump on it's own due to FLE. Meanwhile they probably increased capacity in the park by only 5 %, so really now the park only feels MORE crowded.

The next ten years has to be about SPREADING out the crowds. And I believe that's what they will try and do. Draw people to spend more time at DAK and DHS and then hopefully EPCOT. If they can bring the MK #s down while still increasing the overall numbers, I think that would be ideal.

And where you and I agree - there is going to be a breaking point coming - where the parks see a slowdown. Where that happens, who knows. Perhaps the current economic climate of strong US dollar will cause the start of it, you could see a small slide this year with foreign travel cutbacks, but in the end attendance is really driven domestically.

What I really hope is if the slide starts in the next year or two, Disney doesn't respond by cutting these expansion projects. The good news is the AK one is close enough to done that they really can't cut anything there, but DHS good still get cutbacks. They likely won't cut Star Wars land, but if they end up JUST doing TSL and SWL, then that park isn't much better off than it was before they started closing everything.

Basically saying, let's hope the course correction sticks, and it continues to them doing something at Epcot as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter