Newbie questions

OldSchoolReasons

DIS Veteran
Hi all. I’ve finally decided to take the plunge and book a trip to a Disney I haven’t visited yet in 2016. I’m trying to decide between Anaheim and Tokyo. I was wondering if you guys could help me with these newbie questions.

What must-do attractions do they have that aren’t at the above or are superior?

Is it worth staying on site for the whole trip? Can you easily get to central Tokyo from Disney or is it worth doing a split stay?

I’m vegan, how easy is it to get by?

Best character dining experience? I’m Alice in Wonderland mad, keen on animal characters and less bothered about princesses.

Let’s talk crowds. I’m thinking 1st or 2nd week of October (Halloween!). I normally visit DLP when the majority of rides are 30mins or less and use Fast Pass. When I went to WDW crowd levels were 4-7 and it was tolerable (I didn’t wait longer than 45 minutes thanks to good planning). Can I pull that off here or is it time to develop patience?

Are there any good guides I should order i.e The Brit’s Guide to Orlando?

I’m super grateful for all your time.

It's easy to get to central Tokyo from Tokyo Disney using the subway.

Look for crowd calendars online. Here's one, not yet updated for October:

http://tdrnavi.jp/forecast/disneyland?lang=en

You generally want to avoid weekends, since that's when the locals go.

Vegan info:

http://japanvegan.blogspot.com/2013/07/vegan-restaurants-in-tokyo.html

For DLR, there are many good guidebooks, but I wouldn't recommend the guide for Orlando, ;) DLR would be a much less expensive trip.

You can find lots of good online guides which will answer your questions; search Google.

It's easy to get to central Tokyo from Tokyo Disney using the subway.

Look for crowd calendars online. Here's one, not yet updated for October:

http://tdrnavi.jp/forecast/disneyland?lang=en

You generally want to avoid weekends, since that's when the locals go.

Vegan info:

http://japanvegan.blogspot.com/2013/07/vegan-restaurants-in-tokyo.html

For DLR, there are many good guidebooks, but I wouldn't recommend the guide for Orlando, ;) DLR would be a much less expensive trip.

You can find lots of good online guides which will answer your questions; search Google.

Thank you! Just trying to get the basics ticked off before I go into full surrounded by guidebooks planning mode!

I’m vegan, how easy is it to get by?

It won't be. BUT, that's not a reason to not go. Here, I'll walk you through it. :laughing:

Our five days at Tokyo Disney were by far the hardest days to feed ourselves during our 18 day stay in Japan. (We relied on the Happy Cow app everywhere else in the country and did fine.) The parks are abysmal when it comes to vegan diets. Before we left the states I called the resort to try to get info about special diets. With the help of a translator, I explained our dietary restrictions and was told they had options available for us -- Eastside Café in Disneyland offers a green salad with lemon dressing and Ristorante di Canaletto at Disney Sea has a pasta with marinara sauce. Yep, that's it. It was going to be a long five days.

We stayed at the Hilton and at the last minute added the breakfast buffet to our reservations. I'm so glad we did because this ended up being our lifeline to one guaranteed meal a day. The buffet had a huge selection of food and much of it was "safe". Plenty to fill a heaping plate, and this is where we did our best to fill up to carry us through the lean times to come. :lmao:

In the parks we mostly subsisted on French fries, coffee, and popcorn. (I fully intended to do a vegan trip report once we got home but scrapped the idea once I realized how boring it would be. "And then we ate another kid-sized portion of fries...") Truthfully, I can't even swear that the popcorn was vegan; there was a bit of a language barrier with that question. The "buttered" popcorn at WDW is vegan so I tried to convince myself the same would be true in Tokyo. (If it's not, nobody tell me. I don't want to know. Lol.) Of course, we avoided the obvious no-no's like Milk Tea and Honey flavors. The only other vegan quick service food we found was at Eldorado something-or-another in Disney Sea. They sold nacho chips with a skimpy tablespoon each of salsa and guacamole. We ordered that once and had no desire to order it again. Even the "fruit stands" I had written down in my notes as possibilities didn't actually serve fruit. They only had things like parfait and yogurt. Eastside Café and Ristorante di Canaletto? Yeah, that never happened. We ran for fastpasses each morning at rope drop, did a couple rides, and by the time we checked in with the restaurants the priority seating was already filled up for the day.

We didn't only eat French fries and popcorn, though. We brought in a lot of our own food, either packed from home or purchased in Japan. Fruit, vegan jerky, granola, snack bars, fruit leather, wagashi, onigiri. The wagashi and onigiri were bought each night for the next day at the convenience store in the Hilton along with some other snacks. The first time we stopped in we asked an employee for help reading the labels. Once we knew what we could eat we took pictures of the labels so we could match the symbols on each subsequent visit. We also kept oatmeal in the room that we could cook with hot water from the kettle if we wanted something before bed. And wine. I got a lot of my calories from wine. :thumbsup2

Overall, we survived and I wouldn't hesitate to do it again. The experience was worth it. Just be prepared and keep your expectations low.

Somewhere on this board someone posted a link to Japanese language dietary restriction cards. Look for them -- they were so, so useful. If someone didn't speak English, no problem. I could hand them the card explaining what I could and couldn't eat and then they could help me without anything getting lost in translation.

If you're heading to Disney via Tokyo Station hit up T's TanTan before you get on the train. It's a vegan ramen restaurant that's one of the last storefronts on your right just before you descend the stairs to the train to TDR. I wish we'd had the chance to eat there more than once.

To touch on a couple of your other questions: I would definitely stay on the monorail line of TDR, whether that's at a Disney hotel or one of the official hotels. The hassle of getting to and from the city every day would be too much for me.

You can't miss Pooh's Hunny Hunt or Journey to the Center of the Earth. I also thought Storm Rider was pretty good compared to most simulator rides even though I know a lot of people give that one a thumbs down. The Mystic Rhythms show was, IMO, the best Disney show I've ever seen in any park but, unfortunately, I think it'll be closed by the time you go. :sad1:

Let me know if you have anymore questions.

You are a star! I knew it was going to be tough but at least I can get realistic now. I will probably also be subscribing to the butter popcorn and dole whip being vegan across the board theory too.

I'm planning to use Air BnB now to rent an apartment so I'll at least have fridge/cooker access. I wanted to stay in a Disney hotel but I'd rather not be hungry. HappyCow is such a lifesaver! I looked and they even have a Loving Hut so I'll be able to earn back any lost calories after the chiptastic culinary options at Disney. :)

No Dole Whip at Tokyo... so that's one less thing you can eat. :rotfl:

Give some thought to whether renting an apartment is really going to be all that beneficial in the scheme of things vs. staying on property. Our food issues were only really a problem inside the parks and that's not going to change regardless of where you stay. Breakfast could be taken care of by staying at a hotel that offers it. Taking advantage of the buffet meant we got a bigger variety of food and saved more time than we would've if we'd cooked our own. Unless the apartment is really close to the parks and you were planning to go back there for lunch and/or dinner, you might not have many chances to make use of a kitchen. We wouldn't have wanted to take that much time away from the parks or have to try to coordinate our breaks with fastpass return times so, for us, it was better to just make do with what we could find or bring in with us. (We never went hungry, it was more a situation of being underwhelmed with the options and eating the same thing over and over again.) There was a fridge in our room so we could store food. We didn't have the option of cooking, obviously, but by the time we dragged our exhausted butts back to the room at 10pm all we wanted to do was fall into bed anyway.

Loving Hut let us take our food to go so maybe you can grab a box on your way to TDR to have the next day. I don't know if it's standard that they allow take away but I was burning up with a fever when we went and they accommodated my needing to get back to our hotel. Although, they did seem really confused by my request so maybe it's not something they usually do. Then again, I only thought to ask because someone online had said it was an option. And they did have boxes so... who knows?

Whatever you decide to do, I can guarantee you'll have a chiptastic time. ;)

Not sure what the vegan options are, but since you are an Alice in Wonderland fan, you DO NOT want to miss checking out the Queen of Hearts restaurant next to It's a Small World! Next to Aunt Sarah's kitchen in Critter Country it is one of the coolest themed restaurants in Disneyland.

Our visit was during Halloween in 2010 and the parade was outstanding! Get your spot about 30-45 mins before hand...you'll see the Japanese laying down their mats along the parade route, but we just sat on the ground. Then cast members will walk by and teach you all the songs in the parade so you can sing/clap along when it starts! It's a riot!! As for crowds...you want to arrive 1 hour early to the turnstiles...then get ready to run...literally RUN to your first attraction. For Disneyland I'd run to Monster's Inc...get a fastpass while the rest of our party would run to Pooh's Honey Hunt and wait for me...then we'd get in line together...probably about a 15 minute wait. Then just gather fastpasses once you are allowed to get another. I'd probably do Splash Mountain for the second fastpass...

At DisneySea we run to get Toy Story Fastpasses first then ride Tower of Terror and then Journey to the Center of the Earth...choose Indiana Jones as your second fastpass...remember to always get a fastpass as soon as the time on your current fastpass allows you. As for shows, Big Band Beat is a must see in Tokyo DisneySea...you can try the lottery first or just do standby. Once Upon a Time at Disneyland is also a must see...they have a lottery for that, too, but you can see the show from anyplace in the hub...it's GREAT!!!

I will definitely be checking the Queen of Hearts restaurant out, even if it's just for chips - even the photos look to die for. I've actually been watching YouTube videos of the opening run too, I'm both terrified and excited to finally disobey the "Welcome to Disney, walk don't run" message that plays at opening.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter