newbie question re documentation

erin1998

Mouseketeer
Hello everyone,
I have been reading these boards for a few weeks trying to decide whether to book a disney cruise or with another cruise line. Well, yesterday I booked my first cruise with DCL (and second cruise ever) and now have a thousand different questions.
It will be just my 8 year old son and myself (single mom) and we are doing a 7 day land and sea in May '07. We are also extending our land portion by arriving 3 days earlier.
The big question that I have right now (and the one that worries me the most) is that DCL informed my travel agent that since I am travelling alone with my son and we live in Canada, that I will need a notarized letter from my son's father acknowledging that I am taking him out of the country for our holiday. DCL stated this letter is required for immigration/customs purposes as their policies have become more strict with regards to single parents leaving Canada. My ex and I aren't exactly on good terms and I know that he will not write a letter for me (out of spite). I have a court order indicating that I have sole custody of my son, with my ex having visitation every second weekend. The court order states that I can take him out of the country for holidays/vacations as long as I provide written notice to my son's father 30 days prior to leaving. I do have a passport for my son, so that isn't an issue. My question is, if my ex won't give me a letter, will my court order be sufficient?
I took my son on a Celebrity cruise in December and was asked by immigration at the airport for a letter from my son's father. I presented them with my court order and they accepted that. Will DCL accept my court order instead of the letter?
Any info/advice would be appreciated.
Erin

Will DCL accept my court order instead of the letter?

If you have SOLE CUSTODY, and legal documentation to prove that, then that is all you need.

Enjoy your cruise.

HeatherH,
Thank you for your response. I have double checked my court order and it states that I shall have custody of my son. It also states that I can take my son out of our province (ontario) as long as I inform his father 30 days in advance.
I know that his father will not write a letter, so hopefully my court order will do.
Thanks again :)
Erin

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!