new

musicotb

Mouseketeer
Hi! I can always use motivation to get healthier, and why not by a bunch of Disney enthusiasts like myself?

I am 23, 5'2" and weight approx. 125 lbs. (haven't weighed myself for a few weeks, but I stay REALLY constant). I used to be too skinny. I weighed 95-105 lbs. until I was 19, and never felt very healthy. I used to be able to eat whatever I want, and I never put on weight or felt heavy. I had the metabolism of a goddess. Then I went on Prozac and birth control, and changed my major (it had been music - was a flute player). The combinations of these things, in conjunction with changing meds partway through, contributed greatly to me gaining 25-30 lbs. in about a year and a half.
In the past few years, I think I rebeled against the weight gain. 2 summers ago, I tried the South Beach Diet, and it worked pretty well, but I became an AmeriCorps*VISTA and couldn't afford to eat that healthily anymore, so I gave up. I've never really been to upset about what my weight may be, or my size (when you're stuck btw. womens and juniors styles, size fluctuates so much). I really just want to look and feel healthy. My trouble spot is my abdominal region. Fairly typical I suppose. I am moderately lactose intolerant, too, which makes selecting foods to eat tricky.
Well, I went from being in AmeriCorps to being a graduate student... actually worsened my financial situation. BUT, in the past month I have made what I think are two big diet changes, and an attitude adjustment.
1) I am avoiding any carbonated beverage at all costs. Sure, I've become newly addicted to sweet tea, but just skipping all carbonation has helped IMMENSELY!!!!! I am much less gassy and bloated, I feel better overall, and my abdom. region actually looks noticeably different.
2) I am avoiding anything fried. No french fries, no fried chicken, etc. Again, I just feel healthier.

And my attitude? I am excited to be feeling healthier! I think that everyone has all these exterior pressures to be thinner, be healthier, but for me I'm stubborn as ever and it has to be for me. Well, It's finally for me!

So, I guess I am looking for other people who have suggestions on other little changes that have made a HUGE difference for them. Exercising and drinking more water are big goals for me too, I should mention, but I'm not trying to be too life-changing until after finals & my Disney trip.

:welcome: to the WISH board musicotb!! there is always room for more supportive friends here!

my first thought was water water water -- then i got to your last paragraph :teeth:

another thought is pilates -- have you tried that? after a few weeks i was very pleased with the result in core/ab strength and my flexibility from pilates and yoga is the best ever in my life

Thanks! I have thought about pilates. We get Comcast On Demand, and they have pilates shows on there, so maybe I'll start up this summer! I think it would be great, just has always been difficult to get onto a schedule (grad school is hectic). But, this summer I'll have a lot more time, so I guess that's why I'm looking for advice now!

Welcome to WISH! Congratulations on wanting to be healthy. You are most correct in wanting to do this for You! That is what is key. You are to be commended to want to be making those healthy choices for you. I would say if you can develop the attitude it will make the rest of your life easier for sure.

As far as what else to add. I agree with all posted so far. I would go with the Pilates. In order to do many things we need that strength in our core. It will also tone up the middle which is where many need and appreciate. Take your measurements early and you should be pleasantly surprised when you start to do the Pilates how your inches will change.

Good luck, come often, post lots. I'd love to hear what you are doing.

Welcome musicotb! I'm glad you are joing us! I am also striving to feel and look healthy (although I don't think I ever had the "metabolism of a goddess" love that quote lol). Exercise is my number one goal, I want to be fit and lead my two daughters into a life of health and physcial fitness, so here I am! Recently my abs have become totally firm and hard, I believe that it is mainly because of one of the exercises that we do in TaeKwonDo class. The exercise is called 6 inches. You lay flat on your back and raise your feet (holding feet together toes pulled back) 6 inches off of the floor and hold. We hold this for as long as possible (no pain no gain in this class as you may not lower your feet untill told), lower our feet breathe deeply 1 or 2 times and repeat. This exercise is repeated between 8 & 10 times with variations of holding your legs 6 inches and spreading them open as far as possible, hold, close, open, hold, close (without putting feet down) 4 times and then lower. We also raise legs in a 90 degree angle, and lower to six inches SLOWLY, holding for 20 seconds at 6 inches. As if this wasn't enough once you are able to hold these exercises we increase the pain, by lifting our head off the floor during the hold periods and extending the lenght of time that the feet are off the floor. This exercise left my ads sore for weeks (preforming 3 times a week) but now like I said they are rock hard (I just need alot of work on my hips/thighs). I hope I explained this well enough, if not feel free to PM me with any questions. You may also be interested in joining the April exercise challenge to encourage yourself to move and groove :) Stay with us and keep us posted about your progress, it's motivates us to see others succeed and it will motivate you to share your success!

Kelly

Hey everyone! Well, interestingly enough, weighed myself on the DBF's mom's scale, and I weighed in at 118! Since I usualy fluctuate from 125-128, I lost anywhere from 7-10 lbs! And people keep asking me if I'm dieting, and saying I look great. I am very excited! I honestly think the biggest key for me was cutting out the carbonated beverages - all those pounds were probably water weight, and I feel GREAT not having all that holding me down!

Ummm... I think I should take a rain check on the April exercise challenge, and probably May, as I have a multitude of quizzes, 3 case studies, 5 finals, 1 paper, 1 presentation... and probably more... in the next 4 weeks, then we leave for Disney!!! But in June, things will slow down SIGNIFICANTLY!

Thanks for the ab exercise idea! I will DEFINITELY try it out!

On a side note, I think it is so absolutely wonderful that there is this board full of wonderful, encouraging, supportive people just out there to help others! Yay!!!!!

Welcome to WISH. I can relate to what you are saying in the fact that my DW is 5'2 and could eat anything she wanted when she was younger as well. Then she had two kids and never went back. She is now nearing 170 pounds. When we started dating, she was 95 pounds. Granted we have been together for almost 20 years but it is a little much. You have found the one thing that I haven't been able to give her for as long as we have been together. MOTIVATION!! I congratulate you.

As far as the immediate weight loss, that's great. I know you are excited about it. I really don't think I can offer any different exercises. I would say to do some walking, jogging or even riding a bike. They are some of the best forms of cardio that you can do. This will continue to aid you in your progress.

Stay motivated and keep up the good work!! :cheer2:

Well I have quite a bit more weight to lose than you. However, I have lost 30 pounds since July 2005. It has been slow but I feel it has been healthy this way. These are some of the things I am doing:

Drink tons of water
Walk 3 times per week
Work in my flower beds often
Eat well balanced meal-do not eliminate a food group
Eat smaller portions-I decide BEFORE I start eating how much of the meal I will eat. When I was in nursing school years ago I was told this was the best way to lose weight.
Decrease sweets
Do not deprive yourself.
I also went to a womens health nurse practitioner who did a saliva test on me and has been working to get my hormones in balance. Big issue with alot of women.

Good Luck. It sounds like you are on a good road to being healthier. I am going to WDW in June and hope to have lost a lot more. :Pinkbounc

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter