New Yorkers: Please comment on my "budget" NYC itinerary **Updated Itinerary Post #77

Discussion in 'Budget Board' started by Soupermom, Mar 30, 2013.

1. chloelovesdisney

chloelovesdisney DIS Veteran

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Lewisc

Lewisc <a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/index.

+1 $40 is in line with what parking costs for 24 hours in Manhattan. Parking your car in NJ but staying in NYC is a waste of time.

This is the budget board. You might find a place in Jersey City that will let you park your car for free, maybe offer a free breakfast and be close to mass transit. You'll be spending time and money taking a bus or PATH train into NYC in the morning and afternoon. Someone came up with a hotel. Doesn't make sense to me.

The line does move fast. Lion King (you already have tickets), Wicked and Book of Mormon are never available.

4. crazyme5kids

crazyme5kids DIS Veteran

I would just park in the city too. For me, time spent sometimes equals money and convenience. The extra savings isn't always worth it for me.

5. lisaross

lisaross DIS Veteran

If u want good chinese food in china town - great place is Wo Hops (17 Mott Street) downstairs!

Good Food/Good Prices!!

6. EagleScout

EagleScout Mouseketeer

I know this is budget board, but I echo the sentiment of parking at hotel. NYC is already crazy enough -try to take a few steps to minimize aggravation/commotion. Your plan generally seems fine, but two quick warnings and I have plenty of other advice/recommendations if you want - 1-if you have remote keyless entry, please take your car out for quick drive around block at least once or twice if it is not selfpark- common NY garage practice is for valets to leave car in front seat, which engages the keyless system monitor, and after 3 days or so, the battery drains completely. We have had to get a jump start in garage of Marriott marquis when we did a "new yorker acting like tourist" vacation during hurricane Irene when we were temporarily "homeless". Second warning -I assume you are aware of the fairly large distances you are covering on each day's trip. Yes, public transport helps, but there is still some substantial walking and there are no public transport stops in middle of park, only a block away from each "edge". Your park day is literally several miles of walking, and the other days may be as well. Please wear comfortable shoes, be in decent shape, etc. Finally, a suggestion. As long as you are in NY, you might want to try a bit more of the many interesting ethnic food options, if you are adventurous, etc. Have fun, and you should have a great time-feel free to pm with questions, and many here have provided some good ones (such as Staten island ferry, which is now a bit trickier to get to b/c the main subway station for Manhattan side of ferry is on "1" subway, and that stop is still under hurricane repair closure.

7. Lewisc

Driving around the block is more likely to further drain the battery then charge it. Look for a harbor cruise that leaves walking distance from Intrepid.
    Make sure u have ez pass.

U could drive and visit Bronx zoo or Coney island on your departure day

Use your valet.key if u think pp point applies to u

8. Prose

Prose DIS Veteran

We are in the NYC area right now visiting family and hav ebeen doing some of the tourist things this time around. A couple of hints...the 911 Memorial is overwhelmingly sad and breathtaking. Everyone should see it. Definitely go online to reserve (free) tickets. You will be given an arrival time....keep in mind that once you arrive, though, it is still a wait to get into the memorial itself. For us, on a Saturday afternoon, it was about 45 minutes, including 2 stations to have our tickets checked and an airport-type security stop and metal detector. Once you are in you can wander and look freely and stay as long as you'd like. I would allocate 90 minutes to 2 hours total.

Also, several of the subway stations in the area of the memorial were under construction this weekend and were closed. Be sure to check ahead to find out whether any stations you are planning to used are closed. We forgot to do so, and it cost us several extra blocks of walking.

If you are in the Lower East Side area, i'd recommend Economy Candy as an alternative to Dylans. Economy is floor-to-ceiling full of candies from several countries. Every time we go we have to ship home a box full of yummy stuff! Other places in that general area we like are Doughnut Plant and Pommes Frites. (Somehow our latest visit ended up being all about food...hmmm....)

9. marlynnp

marlynnp No take backs, bowing out or other weenie manuever

If you're not using the car, find an alliance garage near your hotel and use the "vehicle storage" option. You need to reserve & pay before you go. Then just cab to and from the garage with your belongings. I pay $15-$20 a day this way.

http://www.allianceparkingservices.com/3-14-Day-vehicle-storage-cat/500-west-43rd-street.html

And if you adjust your plans, consider a tour at the Lower East Side Tenement Museum, they are really interesting.

http://www.tenement.org/contact.html

And stop at Economy Candy while you're down there.

http://www.economycandy.com/

There's is also a fab hole in the wall Creperie about a block away.

http://www.creperienyc.com/

10. Srbright

Srbright Mouseketeer

OMG, that brings back memories! Going on the subway to Coney Island and watching the graffiti morph into all Russian. We got to ride the cyclone like 8 times in a row in September of '01 (go figure). And when I say in a row, I mean we were the only people on the coaster and we didn't even have to get up. The guy charged us full price the first time and then $1 each for the next couple then sent us around for free.

And yes. I can tell you that walking over the Brooklyn Bridge is MUCH longer than you think it should be.

Stacy

11. Soupermom

Soupermom DIS Veteran

Can someone tell me, in general, using the subway, how long it would take to get from my hotel (the TRYP, 345 W. 35th Street) to the 9/11 memorial?

How about from the hotel to Little Italy/Chinatown?

To Times Square (walking)?

To Central Park (south side, walking)?

To Rockefeller Center (walking)?

To the Intrepid (walking)?

I have a map and know what is where, but I'd like to know a rough estimate on how long to plan for traveling.

Thanks!!!!

12. NYCDiane

NYCDiane DIS Veteran

Your hotel is between 8th and 9th Avenues. The walking to most of these places isn't far but isn't close, either. The walking time depends on your walking speed. Wear sneakers or something very comfortable on your feet if you plan on walking TO all these place and then walking AROUND at all these places!!!! (After Rock Center, you should go to the NY Public Library and Bryant Park)

13. Aristocath

Aristocath DIS Veteran

Use either the HOPSTOP app or website to find travel times using the subway. You will probably want to take the subway to Central Park. The edge of the park is about 25 blocks from your hotel. Doable but long. It will take nearly half an hour I'd guess to walk to the Intrepid. About the same to Rock Center.

14. Soupermom

Soupermom DIS Veteran

Thanks everyone! Can you get a pass that covers the subway AND the buses?

15. dawnhaze

dawnhaze DIS Veteran

A regular Metrocard is used on buses and subways. The exception is express buses that cost more, an unlimited ride card (like the monthly cards) can't be used on those because the fare is higher, but you probably won't have to use any of those. They're mostly commuter routes.

16. Lewisc

NYC the number of N S blocks to the mile is 20. East West Blocks is about 4 to the mile.

35th Street to 50th St (Rockefeller Center) is about 3/4 mile. 7th to 6th another 1/4. Total is about a mile.

You're going to be doing a lot of walking in Central Park.

I'm going to go back to your OP and give it some thought. You need to switch some days. Some thoughts.

Part of the Intrepid museum (I think part with Space Shuttle) is still closed due to Sandy.

Not sure Brooklyn Bridge would make my cut. If you insist walking about halfway then walking back will give you the experience and photo op.

Museums--Central Park Day consider Museum of Natural History and/or www.metmuseum.org Technically the admission price is only a recommended amount. It's covered by most of the city pass deals.

Check with AAA and groupon regarding NY Pass.

I'd look to do one of the cruises that leaves from a Pier next to the Intrepid if you're still doing the Intrepid. I think Circle Line and NY Waterways works.

EDITED TO ADD *****: Go to this link.http://www.metmuseum.org/visit/hours-and-admission It gives the links to the 3 different combined NYC passes. City Pass, NY Pass and New York Explorer Pass. See if your AAA offers a discount on any of them.

17. NYCDiane

NYCDiane DIS Veteran

If you plan on taking the subway/bus a lot while you're here, get a weekly MetroCard ($30). You'll save a lot over the pay per ride ($2.50 per ride).

18. shoney

shoney DIS Veteran

19. Soupermom

Soupermom DIS Veteran

Friday, June 14th
    Drive from Danville to New York City, New York

Saturday, June 15th
    ESB (8am), New York Public Library, Grand Central Station, Harbor Cruise, Natural History Museum? ESB?

Sunday, June 16th
    Chinatown (Wo Hop for meal if needed), Scotts Pizza Tour, Little Italy, Economy Candy, (Brooklyn Bagel Company for dinner?) Improv at the Upright Citizens Brigade (7:30pmgo early)

Monday, June 17th
    9/11 Museum, St. Pauls Chapel (Stage Door Deli for lunch), Wall Street, Trinity Church, travel to Brooklyn/eat (pizzaria, ice-cream)/walk back across the Brooklyn Bridge

Tuesday, June 18th
    Central Park (Zabars Deli for picnic lunch), Museum, FAO Schwarz
    Carmines or Tony Di Napolis for dinner/The Lion King (7:00pm)

Wednesday, June 19th
    Intrepid Museum (10am), Highline Park, ToTR

Thursday, June 20th
    Drive from NYC to Danville, Illinois

20. Lewisc

I'd move the Intrepid to Saturday, before your Harbor Cruise Maybe even move Highland Park to Saturday.

You don't need to go to the Empire State Building twice and Top of the Rock. PLAN TO BE FLEXIBLE DEPENDING ON WEATHER.

You might be able to do ToTR after Lion King. Move Natural History Museum to your Central Park Day.

21. chloelovesdisney

chloelovesdisney DIS Veteran

You look like you may have some empty time in the evenings, you can always check out Time Out NY for ideas.