New York Times Article on FP+ and "Magic Bands"

Have a question we are a party of 6 going in October...
Do we ALL have to use fastpasses for the same attractions each day?
Also what if the party splits and 4 go to AK and 2 go to HS...how will THAT work out????
I know the answer to the first question is no. Each member of your party can choose to use their FP+'s as they wish (this was shown on a video for the testing period but it may change?). As for the second question, no idea? I assume each member of your party goes to whichever park and uses his FP+'s as he or she wishes.

I can't wait to try it out. I hate having to pull out my room key, or SAP all the time. I love the idea of a wrist band.

angelmichelle said:
I know the answer to the first question is no. Each member of your party can choose to use their FP+'s as they wish (this was shown on a video for the testing period but it may change?). As for the second question, no idea? I assume each member of your party goes to whichever park and uses his FP+'s as he or she wishes.

Thanks so much that clarifies a lot for me!

"Disney expects MagicBands to turn into a big business in and of themselves; the company plans to introduce collectible sets of MagicBand accessories and charms."

So do you keep your MagicBand post-trip? Is it permanently yours or no?

That big, red band is pretty ugly.

I wonder if this system allows you to park hop? If I want a Fast Pass from Epcot in the morning and MK at night, would that be allowed?

You can still park hop, but you can only use FP+ at one park per day. So one of your parks would be stand-by lines only.

This is not speculation.

The terms and conditions of My Disney Experience state explicitly that if you use FP+, you can not use regular fastpass.

The reason: FP+ requires RFID tickets, but RFID tickets can not be used for regular fastpass.

For now, at least it is one or the other.

i enjoy reading everyones interpretation of the "terms and conditions", which are also "subject to change". They currently read that you can not use Fast Pass+ (RFID) and exisiting fast pass (paper tickets), which makes sense since they are on different systems. Is it possible they will make the regular fast pass machines RFID in a seperate stage? So now you just swipe your wrist band and its now on your "reservation"? Everyone assumes you will only get 3 fast passes the entire day and can not receive anymore. Could it be the 3 are the perk (onsite guests) and you can get more throughout the day through the new system which acts similar to the old?

I am going to wait to see what it actually ends up being instead of trying to decipher terms and conditions.

Here is a quote from Staggs that you can interpret how you want as well: “We know that some people like to plan every aspect of their Disney vacation in advance while others like to plan very little, letting their day unfold spontaneously. No matter where guests fall in that spectrum, My Disney Experience gives them the flexibility to plan as much or as little as they’d like to create the exact Disney experience they want.”

3 pre bookable FP+'s for onsite as a perk, then everyone inc locals and offsite visitors getting FP+'s available on the day, seems a sensible way to do it.

This is not speculation.

The terms and conditions of My Disney Experience state explicitly that if you use FP+, you can not use regular fastpass.

The reason: FP+ requires RFID tickets, but RFID tickets can not be used for regular fastpass.

For now, at least it is one or the other.

That doesn't mean you won't be able to get additional FP+s in the park using a smartphone. In that scenario, I wonder about how well the wi-fi in the parks will actually work with possibly thousands of people trying to connect to it monitoring and updating their plans. Any time I've been around situations with thousands of people needing wi-fi access, it hasn't been executed well.

V.I.P. seating for parades, fireworks

This really has me interested! Does anyone know what they mean by VIP seating for parades and fireworks? I don't really care about the character meet & greets. But the fireworks and parades? That sounds wonderful.

Interesting.. This DIS thread was specifically quoted by this online article.

http://venturebeat.com/2013/01/07/disney-magic-bands/

Interesting, indeed! Thanks for sharing that link!

I am still curious to see if the bands will offer enticements to stay onsite, and if kiosks will be available in the parks and at the resorts for those without smart phones. Time will tell! I think I read that the Beach Club Resort will test market the bands first.

If the wristband software goes down as often as the Disney World and Disney Vacation Club websites do latey, we're in for a world of hurt... ;)

This really has me interested! Does anyone know what they mean by VIP seating for parades and fireworks?

There will be "roped-off" areas where guests with FP+ appointments for these would be allowed to watch the parade or fireworks.

I'm going to have to assume that these locations would allow for only a relatively few number of guests.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter