New York Hotel recommendations

DH booked the Doubletree in the middle of the night - got a great deal and I loved it when we stayed there in 2009, so I was happy with the change from Radio City Apts.

This is my 3rd trip to NYC (2nd with kids) and we have always stayed 5 nights, but 5 years wouldn't be enough! I think that you make sure to see the big deal attractions, and get on the red bus tour because it covers so much in a short time. The most amazing thing about New York is the atmosphere, no matter where you are it just feels different to anywhere else....and when you get home it comes back to you every single day. Hooray, I'm so excited! :yay::yay:

Do you recommend the HoHo bus, I have only read pretty negative reviews -, buses not moving due to traffic, not being able to see through the perspex roof, buses not turning up, it works out to be quite expensive for a family, so I am unsure whether to do it.
I have been looking into doing a limousine tour on our first night, to get an overview of the city - as a family its not much more than the bus - but we will be on our own. I just havent found a company that I am willing to commit with.
(it will be my birthday - someone tell my DH that this is what I want him to surprise me with:rotfl:) :lovestruc

BTW - I love smilies, and usually spend a couple of minutes choosing just the right one for my posts, now I just realised there is a whole other page of them! :jumping1:
I thought Princess had special privileges because of her high post count!!!

Haha, those little bouncies have been waiting for ages for you to discover them! :wave2:

I love the bus tour and have done it both times that we have been in NYC. Having said that, the weather plays a big part in the experience because I think that you HAVE to sit upstairs so that you can see everything and get great pics. Each guide has different stories, but they all point out the important things as well as their own favorite bits, and as for the traffic - it's crazy everywhere, but the bus seemed to push on through!

I have never looked into the limo thing, it sounds fab, and you could talk and ask questions whenever you wanted (that would be a plus for me) ;)

Which company does these red bus tours Busy Busy? I googled and came up with the New York Pass, does that sound right?

The bus tour that I am talking about is Gray Line. They are double decker buses with an open top and you can buy tickets from people in red or yellow t-shirts on just about every street corner in Times Square, or from the driver when you jump on at any of the other stops on the route.

We have done the downtown loop, Uptown loop and the night tour which took us to Brooklyn for an amazing look at the NYC skyline.

The bus worked really well for us, and gave our feet a rest too! The guides have lots of good tips (the Macys 10% off card), and are New York characters to boot. :)

Just wondering if anyone has stayed at or looked at staying at the New York Palace? Its one we are considering for our 6 nights in NYC.

The bus tour that I am talking about is Gray Line. They are double decker buses with an open top and you can buy tickets from people in red or yellow t-shirts on just about every street corner in Times Square, or from the driver when you jump on at any of the other stops on the route.

We have done the downtown loop, Uptown loop and the night tour which took us to Brooklyn for an amazing look at the NYC skyline.

The bus worked really well for us, and gave our feet a rest too! The guides have lots of good tips (the Macys 10% off card), and are New York characters to boot. :)

Ah thanks. Will check it out. I like Gray Line too from other tours I've done but didn't even think to look for them there.

Wow, it's hard to choose from that list, but I can tell you the things that I have done. First of all, the 72 hour pass is a great idea. :thumbsup2

The Statue of Liberty is fun, and I loved Ellis Island - but I'm not sure how young kids would feel about it. Another option is to take a ride on the free Staten Island ferry which will give you amazing photos of the statue.

The Empire State Building and Top of the Rock are both amazing. We did the ESB on the first day and it's a great way to get your bearings. Top of the Rock is great at night because you get fab pictures with the ESB in them!

As far as everything else, I would look them all up and see how they would fit with your family, and how the price of doing those things separately would add up. I say that because you can get good deals from the Grey Line ticket sellers on the corners in Times Square, so saving money there along with doing just a couple of things from the list without buying the package first might be cheaper.

Whatever you do it will be AMAZING......it's New York City!! :cool1::cool1:

Just spotted "our" hotel (Doubletree Guest Suites) on TV, in the movie Enchanted. How cool is that!

(I actually only started watching the movie because the synopsis said was set in New York lol! Gotta do one's research ;) )

I know exactly what you mean.....there is a Mary-Kate & Ashley movie set at the Atlantis Resort in the Bahamas where we are staying after WDW, but I just can't bring myself to sit through it! :sick:

I did, however, watch the Jonas brothers at Atlantis with my DD6 and it was both informative and toe tapping! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter