New York City Marathon lottery

Did they do the backpacks w/ food for everyone last year as well? Just curious b/c I know the sponsor changed and that could have been an ING thing. I'm running regardless and the food was definitely a must w/ no bag drop.

I don't remember the backpacks with food. I was out of it at the end though. I think I remember walking with armfuls of stuff.

Thank you kim3339 for the great tip about taking the ferry. That sounds like an awesome way to get the day started.

Any idea what the course time limit to be included as an official finisher might be?

I think the ferry left from Battery Park so you'll have to take the subway or a cab to it. I wish we had done that but the Library was only 10 or 15 blocks south of our hotel so we could walk it. On the NYRR site is say 13:45 pace

From this page:http://www.nyrr.org/races-and-events/race-faqs I am not sure if it corresponds to the Marathon but here's the quote. That would put the cutoff at about 6 hours.

In the interest of safety, and to allow streets and park drives to re-open as scheduled, race courses will remain open to all participants who are able to maintain a 13:45-per-mile pace (based on the time when the last runner crosses the start line). Those participants who are not able to maintain this pace should be aware that fluid stations and other course amenities may not be available, and participants in races staged on city streets may be asked to move to the sidewalks. Participants will be able to cross the finish line, but they may not be timed and recorded as an official finisher.

My wife and I really want to sign up for this, but we do not know what we would do if one of us got in and the other did not. We definitely do not have the time to try to do fundraising to get in.

It's too bad they do not have a process where you are able to link entries. The Peachtree Road Race in Atlanta has a group entry process where you can link entries. So if the group is not selected, then no one gets in. I would be fine with being able to link your registration with just one other person, and if both are not individually selected, then neither entry is accepted.

I did not get in via the lottery last year and have decided to try again this year, although I probably won't run it. I am doing Chicago and I don't know that I can do both. However, it looks like you can cancel and defer to 2016 (losing out on your registration fee) so that is my goal. I don't really mind paying an extra ~$250 for guaranteed entry in 2016 :thumbsup2

My wife and I really want to sign up for this, but we do not know what we would do if one of us got in and the other did not. We definitely do not have the time to try to do fundraising to get in.

It's too bad they do not have a process where you are able to link entries. The Peachtree Road Race in Atlanta has a group entry process where you can link entries. So if the group is not selected, then no one gets in. I would be fine with being able to link your registration with just one other person, and if both are not individually selected, then neither entry is accepted.

The Broad Street Run in Philadelphia has a similar system. I did not realize this until my friends and I signed up separately, but I have no issue running alone.

That process would be great. I usually run with a group of a couple people so it would be nice to link to at least one person.

I did not get in via the lottery last year and have decided to try again this year, although I probably won't run it. I am doing Chicago and I don't know that I can do both. However, it looks like you can cancel and defer to 2016 (losing out on your registration fee) so that is my goal. I don't really mind paying an extra ~$250 for guaranteed entry in 2016 :thumbsup2
I debated with my buddies this year. I'd love to run NY again, but I'd also like to do to Chicago . I think that and 2016 Goofy will pretty much eat up my fall race budget. If I don't get into Chicago through it's lottery I'll probably either sign up for OBX, Myrtle Beach Mini or RNR Savannah. They're all pretty decent weekend getaway races that don't require a lottery to get into them.

I am in for the lottery with my daughter. If we get in I may return for recommendations on where to stay.

I entered the lottery last year for the first time and amazing enough, got in!! The race was the most spectacular experience EVER!! I am entered again and keeping my fingers and toes crossed all day!! Good luck to everyone!!

I have completely mixed feelings about the lottery today. I'm not sure I really care whether I get in or not. :confused3

Nothing here yet.

If it's like in years past, you can check the credit card or bank account you used to register - seems the "pending charge" was showing up there before the emails went out.

That said...they seem to be later than usual in sending out the emails. Seems last year my FB was filled with the "I'm In" badges.

Yeah, nothing on my card yet. And I haven't seen any of my friends on FB announcing it either. Strange.

I got in!! :yay: No email yet, but my profile status changed from drawing to marathon and there's a pending charge on my credit card!

Congrats, you guys! Still nothing for me yet, but that's OK if I didn't get in. Was already going to be hard for me to do along with W&D. At least that's what I'm telling myself. :(

Congrats, you guys! Still nothing for me yet, but that's OK if I didn't get in. Was already going to be hard for me to do along with W&D. At least that's what I'm telling myself. :(

I am doing the Chicago marathon this year (I am supposed to have a guaranteed entry) so I will probably end up deferring this to 2016. A big part of me wants to try to run both because I feel myself getting a little tired of long distances and I don't know how I am going to feel in Nov 2016.

I am doing the Chicago marathon this year (I am supposed to have a guaranteed entry) so I will probably end up deferring this to 2016. A big part of me wants to try to run both because I feel myself getting a little tired of long distances and I don't know how I am going to feel in Nov 2016.

Chicago and NYC are on my bucket list for sure, but at this point 2016 (at the earliest) seems the most logical for NYC. I'm planning the WDW full in '16 as my first full, so it would be nice to bookend it with NYC in November and maybe have the Princess/Tink in between. And then after that, I can call it a lifetime on the whole running thing. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter