New York City in February?

100AcreWood

DIS Veteran
Budget friends, I may be crazy but I'm pricing out a family trip (5 of us) to New York City for President's Day weekend. The flights are cheaper, the hotels are cheaper. Am I crazy to visit NY in February?

If not, any recommendations on hotels? We were told to stay in Midtown.

Thanks!

I was there at the end of February last winter and the weather was unseasonably warm. We had a fantastic time! We are going again this year in March, but for us its a train ride - since I live in Upstate NY.
I saw go for it! There are many reasonably priced hotels. We stayed at a Hilton Garden Inn.

I'd just make sure everything is 100% changeable or refundable - snow could wreck flights...

Why not?! NYC gets cold, for sure--it's the northeast. But it's hardly the Arctic tundra!
Midtown is a good base, especially if you plan on seeing a Broadway show or two. You'll appreciate not having a long subway ride or having to hail a cab late at night after your train lets out. I love, love, love the Marriott Marquis in Times Square.

Why not?! NYC gets cold, for sure--it's the northeast. But it's hardly the Arctic tundra!
Midtown is a good base, especially if you plan on seeing a Broadway show or two. You'll appreciate not having a long subway ride or having to hail a cab late at night after your train lets out. I love, love, love the Marriott Marquis in Times Square.
Wow, I just checked, and the non refundable member rate is under $450 for 2 nights! You do have to book for 4, not 5, but the rooms have 2 doubles and a sofa bed. There is so much to do in NYC indoors, plus everyone walks so fast, you won't be still outside.

I live just outside of NYC. February may be very cold, and you may get snow, but after the holiday rush is a nice time to go. You'll be inside a lot. And honestly, with the buildings it's usually a few degrees warmer and they don't tend to get as much snow as us in the suburbs. Dress in layers, because the buildings are nice and toasty and I always feel overheated when I go in and out. The biggest issue would be a storm and the airports, but most airlines let you reschedule for weather just check their policies. And when you fly remember to check Newark as well, depending on where you fly from it could be much cheaper and I hear people all the time saying they don't want to fly into another state. But it's honestly right there, not a bad drive I promise (well, um, it's all a bad drive but if you're letting someone else drive then they are used to it).

My daughter's birthday is President's week, and we live on Long Island.

I bet you a dollar it WILL SNOW that week. I don't think she's had a "green" birthday in the past 16 years.

I agree-- dress in layers. It will be cold out, and warm and stuffy in. Make sure your feet stay dry.

I did NYC last January -- less expensive and less crowded than normal, but burr. This is just me, but I decided for a winter trip I was going to go for warm next time. And this year for my NYC get-a-way I'm going early May. Walking around Central Park was still fun. Many activities are inside -- Broadway shows, One World Observation Deck, Museum of Natural History, and shopping on this trip, but walking to or taking the subway to activities is just so much nicer with milder weather. It's only after doing this, though, that I decided that next time I'd rather pay more, scale down on accommodations, and scale down on days to go at a better time of year weather wise.

I may be cold at my January destination this year too, but it should be milder than NYC - doing a mini LA/Hollywood/Disneyland get-a-way. It has to be warmer than NYC was last January, though.

Last edited:
We do day trips in January/February. I feel like it's less crowded (for NYC) those times. We did Feb last year and it was very comfortable. we did an outside walking tour of Rockefeller center (highly recommend) and we were fine. though January 2 years ago was freezing. check the weather and budget for cabs/bus fare so you dint have to walk in the cold too long it's below freezing!

I live in NYC. Feb is cold and gray. But everything is less crowded and touristy. I echo others' sentiments. Dress warmly and in lawyers. And bring snow boots - snow melts quickly because of the traffic and the retained heat from the concrete, but it turns into a nasty, dark gray slush. Warm waterproof shoes can be critical.

ETA: oh, and do what real NY'ers do. Carry an attractive pair of shoes (such as heels) in your bag and change whenever you get where you're going.

I work right in mid-town, tourist central. The place becomes dead at that time of year. If you plan on doing mostly indoor things (which isn't that a lot?) then I wouldn't shy away from this time of year as long as you are prepped for the weather as the low crowds make a huge difference. I have been to the MET on a weekday at that time and its so peaceful compared to tourist season. Down coats (longer too) are a most if they weather is predicted to be below 40 and you plan on walking a lot. If snow is predicted snow boots with good traction and waterproof are needed (there are lots of things to slip on under snow such as metal edges on sidewalks, granite sidewalk corners, subway grates). It would appear it doesn't snow in NYC as the heat from buildings melts the snow super fast but it does make a huge slushy mess as others said. If you overlap with a weekday that is a great time to get discounted show tickets as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter