New Year's Eve - Is it worth it?

DavidRoss

Mouseketeer
Hi All,

We've been DVC members since 1999. However, we have never gone over New Year's Eve. This was mainly because I always thought the point cost was ridiculously expensive. But, I decided to go ahead and snag 3 nights in a studio this year (12/30, 12/31 and 1/1). I can always cancel and will be able to use the points another time. But I wanted to check in and see if others have stayed over the new year and what their experiences were. Is it so crowded at the parks that it is not enjoyable? Did you all do any of the special events and were they worth the extra cost? What did you do in the past if you went? It would just be my wife and myself going.

We are doing the same thing for the first time. I would love to hear what activities are planned. We are doing PVB in a lake view, so we should have the fireworks covered. Is there anything else happening?

We have done it twice. Once when the kids were younger. It was OK that year. We would have loved to go to Epcot but it a mch more adult crowd than we would prefer. Did not want to got to MK for a "dry NYE". The first year we did NYE at DHS with osbourn light and a midnight firework show. Fun. The second time the kids were older and epcot was awesome. They set up bands and parties in countries.

We were there in 2010 in a GV and 2 studios at the BWV. It was so much fun. We did not go into a park on NYE. We could see the fireworks from Epcot and the MK on the 30th and 31st...obstructed views. NYE hats and horns were handed out to people on the BW. We had take out NYE and dined at Todd English's Blue Zoo on 1/1.
We arrived 12/27 and the days we went into the parks we arrived when they opened...7 AM and stayed until 11:00 AM. Went to lunch offsite and enjoyed the resort.

I think everyone should try NYE at least once. I do not prefer the crowds that time of year but there is certainly a party vibe that is infectious. The last time we did NYE we stayed at BWV. We went to MK on Dec. 30 and watched pre-NYE fireworks there from Liberty Square. On Dec. 31 we stayed out of Epcot and watched the Epcot fireworks from our BWV balcony. We also enjoyed the DJ, hats, horns, etc. on the Village Green at BWV on Dec. 31. The traffic mess leaving Epcot on NYE is awful. If you really want to be at Epcot on NYE it is great to simply walk back to BCV or BWV.

I just booked BCV for a NYE trip and am looking for info. I also am wondering if it will be worth it.

My main question is about the parks. I understand they are so crowded that they close them early because they are at capacity. I am assuming they are closed to the general public but does that include resort guests?

We would find it extremely difficult to spend an entire day at one park just to wait for fireworks.

Hoping most people clear out after the 1st and it becomes much less crowded for the next 5 days.

Hi All,

We've been DVC members since 1999. However, we have never gone over New Year's Eve. This was mainly because I always thought the point cost was ridiculously expensive. But, I decided to go ahead and snag 3 nights in a studio this year (12/30, 12/31 and 1/1). I can always cancel and will be able to use the points another time. But I wanted to check in and see if others have stayed over the new year and what their experiences were. Is it so crowded at the parks that it is not enjoyable? Did you all do any of the special events and were they worth the extra cost? What did you do in the past if you went? It would just be my wife and myself going.

We just did this. We had a lot of fun, but parks are way more crowded especially ON New Years Eve. We hung out at the hotel at their beach party (BLT) because we have two kids. There is so much going on though. We talked to a few CMs and they said Epcot is their favorite park to be in on NYE. I think a nice dinner reservation at California Grill would be fun for 2 adults, then you can watch fireworks from there. All the paid events seemed wayyyy overpriced. Have fun!

We did NYE in 2014. It was a great experience. There are so many people that you really can't expect to get on many rides. We did Epcot with our twin boys who were 9 at the time. I really couldn't see doing it with kids much younger. With the crowds I would be afraid to lose a little one. Once it was later in the night- 10ish -it seemed that the crowds moved towards the world showcase and the rest of the crowds in future world thinned out. They handed out horns and hat which was fun. We did our fast passes and a few other things that didn't have long waits. With stalking dining reservations we were able to eat at the garden grill. That week down there is very busy so that alone would deter us for going again but certainly something we were glad to experience at least once.

We have done the past two NYE's, after never wanting to go at that time. We book a 2bdr at OKW for 12/31 and 1/1. There were seven of us. This past NYE, we went to EPCOT, where they do Illuminations at 6PM. Me, my wife and our grandson (3) left early, but out kids (28 & 21) + our son-in-law stayed and said it was a lot of fun. The NYE events start at 7, with a lot of bands and pop-up bars all over the place. They passed out hats and horns at 4PM.

On the 30th, we went to the Magic Kingdom -- where Holiday wishes was at 6:30 or so, followed by the entire NYE fireworks. It was spectacular -- and for the non-late-night folks, it was over by 7:30. Wherever you are on NYE, don't expect to do much more than your three Fastpasses, the waits were incredible -- Soarin at 270, Test Track at 210, even Figment was 45. I have never seen so much masking tape on the ground -- very organized and a lot of CMs.

We have a house in Orlando, but like to stay on-site those days so we don't have to drive in. Just seeing where they park all those cars in crazy -- every patch of grass has a car on it.

Everyone should do it once.

mac_tlc

I just booked BCV for a NYE trip and am looking for info. I also am wondering if it will be worth it.

Hoping most people clear out after the 1st and it becomes much less crowded for the next 5 days.

We were there until January 7th last month. Crowds thinned, but not as much as I thought they would. Next year, the 1st is a Sunday, and the schools around us (CT) go back on the third. The marathon starts later that week, and by Wednesday, folks begin showing up for that.

mac_tlc

We have spent the last 5 out of 6 NYE at WDW. The other year my sister asked if she could go, and she and her DH enjoyed it.

We usually have seen the December 30th fireworks at MK, either from within the park or twice from a boat. One year, the park was just two crowded we had to leave. This past Dec 30 & 31st we watched from TTOTW lounge, because we had not seen them from that perspective. They shoot fireworks from an island in front of the Poly as well as other places, and from inside the park, I found myself turning around a lot to try to take it all in. Seeing from the water was better, seeing from BLT was the best IMO!

Illuminations is especially great on NYE, and we've seen them from a boat twice (Very expensive, about $100 per person including tip, but captains provide champagne, wine, non alcoholic drinks and specialties like chocolate covered strawberries.) The show begins before midnight, as they have fireworks from each country areas.

We only have been to DHS once for those NYE fireworks, but they were fantastic!

Except for this year, we always stayed in BWV, or BCV because of ease in getting back to the resort.

We will not be returning this year. Our AP's expire in December, so we did pay the premium because we had the room. I will not pay to renew. We already pay higher points for the accommodation, I will not pay more to go to the parks! However, I really do like fireworks, and will be there for July 3rd, BLT, and for the 4th at BCV. Those fireworks are very good, too!

Bobbi

I think NYE is worth the extra points - at least once. We have been twice and were able to enter the parks later in the day (hanging out from early morning until after midnight would not work well for our family!) Head to the Magic Kingdom on the 30th - the fireworks and after party are amazing. We love Epcot for NYE. I wouldn't even try to get on attractions without a fastpass. It is very crowded, but a great vibe and good energy. Disney does an excellent job with crowd control. The dance parties around World Showcase and the fireworks are incredible. If you don't want to spend the entire evening in the crowds, try to get a late dinner reservation for an hour or so of relative quiet. Staying at BCV or BWV is ideal. Instead of waiting on line for buses, just walk back to your villa or take a boat. Have fun!

Worth is a subjective term, but it is an experience you should try at least once. Crowds will be heavy, though NY's Day itself wasn't too bad. Be prepared to use Disney transportation as driving becomes ridiculously prohibitive.

Joining in, as planning our first NYE at WDW as well. Thanks, for all the great questions and answers.

Last edited:
A bit more on our experience, as we were just there this last NYE/NY. Overall, the parks were crowded, no doubt about it, but we were suprised to find that MK wasn't so on NY's Day itself, at least not early on. We easily walked around shortly after opening for a couple of hours with minimal waits on most rides other than the major ones such as 7DMT and Space Mtn. We walked up to Skipper Canteen at 11 and had less than a five minute wait to get in (now, whether it was good or not is a whole different matter and talked about on the Restaurant threads). As the Osborne Lights were into their last few days, the crowds there were oppressive, but you won't get that next year. Here's a cautionary tale to add--we didn't actually attempt to watch the special MK fireworks as getting into the parks was very time-consuming, even if you rode the bus. We rode the bus to Epcot on NYE to meet friends and we watched the fireworks there which were quite good, too. After those we went for more drinks at the only place we could find after midnight over in the Yacht Club. The crowds to catch the bus were massive, so we figured another drink. Well, that took us well past 1 a.m., and we went to catch a taxi--it was over an hour wait due to traffic, and by then the gates to Epcot had closed. We walked over to the Beach Club and opted to take a bus heading to MK, and from there we could at least catch a bus back to OKW (where we were staying). As we pulled up to MK, the throngs waiting for the boats, the monorail, and the buses were like human seas. By the sheerest of luck, as we got off our bus at MK, the bus for OKW was pulling in, and it was the shortest line there meaning we got on that bus. Due to bus-only lanes, we got back to our resort shortly after 2 a.m. but those driving or on other modes of transportation had it rough. So, just be prepared.;)

I have always said no way Jose about nye or Xmas but intrigued. Maybe it's not all bad-- perhaps when the kids are older. Right now they are too little, but bc we have bwv and BLT, we would stay at one of these two places, thus avoiding transportation -- so nye may be something we might consider someday bc of the above comments ;)!

NYE at WDW should be on everyone's bucket list. So much fun even if you don't go into the parks. Everyone is so happy to be there, just a wonderful vibe.

NYE and the whole preceding week is the most crowded experience I've ever had at WDW. Shoulder to shoulder in every nook in every park. Without dining reservations and FP+, the whole trip would have been a waste. That being said, we had a really enjoyable NYE when we were there. We got to Epcot in the late morning, did some attractions and had a late lunch at Via Napoli. Then we walked to the Boardwalk Villas Community Center so our girls could take a break and do some crafts and play games before walking back into Epcot for the 6pm Illuminations. We then enjoyed a long dinner at Garden Grill (8pm reservation) followed by the live entertainment and a second round of Illuminations.

We did run into an interesting crowd issue during the evening.. after watching the 6pm Illuminations from the Canada pavilion, we tried walking toward The Land but found ourselves stuck in a sea of bodies before reaching Showcase Plaza. There were thousands upon thousands of people just standing there for what seemed like an intentional stand-still, mostly singing in a foreign language. There was absolutely no way to get through. They had opened a backstage walkway from the Showcase Pavilion on the other side of Canada but a cast-member said that it was only "an exit out of the park." So we tried again to get through the crowd for twenty minutes with no success. It was at that point (30-some minutes after the crowd had formed the blockage) that a team of cast members finally showed up and forced the crowd to disperse. It was also at that point that we spotted a manager-looking-type guy and we asked him about the backstage walkway and he told us it was simply a walkway to Future World and in fact it would put us right next to The Land.

So all in all, I agree with the others that it is fun to do once in your life but I will never do it again.

I agree it is something you should experience. We did NYE in 2012 when we were living in FL and had APs. We booked a reservation at Artist Point for a nice dinner and then had some drinks at Trout Pass Pool Bar and took the boat over to MK. We went with no expectations of getting on rides, our only focus was to get in the park and find a place to stand. We got in the park after an early dinner and walked around a little bit but it was so packed we decided it was best to stake out a spot. By the time we decided to do so the middle of main street was packed so we joined in and parked ourselves in the middle of the street. As midnight neared cast members made everyone get up off the street and stand so more people could pack in. At that point I felt like I was in Times Square but without the cold. Once midnight rolled around though it was all worth it. The fireworks were fantastic and everyone was just so happy. Would I do it again? Probably not but I am glad I got to experience it once. Just go into it with the right expectations and you should enjoy yourself!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter