New Windows fans?

Discussion in 'The DIS Unplugged Podcast' started by Tehls, Mar 31, 2013.

1. Tehls

Tehls THE Anthrax Fan

So i'm listening to the tech show at this very moment, and I heard Pete talking about his new Windows 8 Surface Pro. I'm happy to hear that Pete is giving Windows 8 a shot.

I would also implore him to perhaps give a Windows Phone 8 device a chance. They are very compatiable with Windows 8 devices and the Xbox. Also, the One Note program you love is built into Windows Phone and works seemlessly across everything.

PS
    Love the new show!

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. MomofKatie

MomofKatie <font color="pink">Maybe if you leave some chocola

DH and I have Windows 8 phones and love them. Seems like Windows phones never get recognition in the marketplace- everything is Apple or Android.

4. Stacy's a freak

Stacy's a freak wrangles snakes

I have no personal experience with Windows 8 or its phones, but I have a friend who recently switched from an iphone to a Windows 8 phone. One word of caution, DO make sure your computer at home is updated to Windows 8 before plugging in your Windows 8 phone. My friend's laptop was NOT updated and it caused her laptop to crash requiring a Techie person's help.

5. woodleygrrl

woodleygrrl <font color=darkorchid>As god as my witness, I wil

I just got a Surface Pro for work and I have to say after a very brief couple of days of not knowing where, say, the print button is for PDF's and not being able to figure out how to attach a document in Outlook, I have to say I really love Windows 8.

I REALLY love my Surface Pro, though. So small and so cool looking. Also? You can bedazzle the heck out of it with "skins" that you can buy for $15 at the Microsoft store. Right now my computer is all decked out for nationals baseball.

Jennifer

6. wildcatbn

wildcatbn New Member

The surface pro really makes Win8 shine but on a pc it just plain sucks. I have had many people stop in the shop and have me install win7 on there brand new machine.

7. MomofKatie

MomofKatie <font color="pink">Maybe if you leave some chocola

We installed Windows 8 on our home computers- we love it! It is just a new system with new stuff to get used to. Once you get familiar with it, you see how intuitive it is to use. Most who have it taken off aren't giving it a chance, IMO.

8. WebmasterPete

WebmasterPete <font color=navy>Grand Administrator<br><font colo Administrator

I'm putting on my flame retardant suit as I type this.

I have purchased the Nokia Lumia 920 with Windows 8 and ... I love it.

My team is looking at me with this sad, concerned look - it reminds me of the look my family had in the days and weeks before my last rehab. It's the "what's become of him" look.

I'm not just giving Windows 8 a fair shot - I genuinely like it. It's a very different experience.

Don't get me wrong - I'm an Apple guy. In my opinion, Macs are better machines, and OS X is a better operating system. I will tell you that I think the Lumia is a fantastic phone - and I think the Windows 8 phone OS in general is a far cry better than Android. Android feels cheap to me - iPhone and Windows 8 feel crafted and polished. Again, these are just my impressions - not judging anyone else here.

Pete

9. Tehls

Tehls THE Anthrax Fan

Good to hear you have a Lumia 920. I have a Yellow 920 and my DW has a Cyan 920. I gotta ask, what color do you have?

10. OklahomaTourist

OklahomaTourist New Member

Biggest problem I have with Windows 8 is that is seems MS has purposely aimed it *not* at the business market. It's core feature - the purple flying tile interface - is just a crushing impedance mismatch if you're trying to get conventional work done rather than play Skype, Tweet, or play Facebook. And that's precisely why I think Win8 or any successor that focuses on that interface so heavily will have a tough time gaining long-term traction in the corporate space.

As for me personally, I've found no compelling reason to move to the new interface, because I know the first thing I would do is simply switch to the hybrid desktop, and I know its been more or less crippled within the Win8 UI. Several other developers in my group who had spent some time with Win8 that at least one of them blew it away and put Win7 back on it.

Oh, well, different strokes, as they say. And I say that as a two-decade-plus MS guy, going back to Windows 3.0 :)

11. Maroonag1

Maroonag1 DisDad #730

I know this is an old thread but if anyone is still here. Are there any decent Disney Apps for the Windows 8 Phones? The My Disney Experence app says not compatble and most of the other countdown and lines relalted apps are Android and iPhone only.

12. wiigirl

wiigirl New Member

I am actually really liking Windows 8. It took me a few weeks to fully appreciate it but all the integration between devices and how easy it is to connect everything together is a awesome.

13. Yellosno

Yellosno New Member

Im not a fan. Im have a certification that proves I know how to correctly use the windows 8 operating system and I still hate it. Dont know what it is but I just couldnt do it, so I made the switch to mac!