New ways to beat the economy crunch

We are having a swap items party later this month that includes 4 other couples and their kids. Women are swapping books including cook books and also accessories like purses, belts and shoes. The men are swapping video games and books and each child is bringing books or 3 toys to swap out.

I'm providing several homemade pizzas. Another couple is bringing dessert, other bringing the drinks and another couple is bringing plates and stuff so less cleanup.

We all enjoy hanging out and I don't care about everyone running around the house. We also are rotating houses for get togethers. It almost looks like the commercials where people are getting together.

No problem, I've also learned that if you can get enough couples/families together alot of places will give a group discount.

Last month we had 6 couples and almost 15 children and received a group discount for bowling during a mid Saturday morning. Several of the same people are going skating soon and we are talking about breaking down the costs of renting a boat out for a weekend as a treat.

I know that most people are feeling the same money crunch and it's nice to still "indulge" on a budget. The whole misery loves company is the truth!

These are probably the two most original ideas that I've seen on this board in while. I love the idea of forming a group in order to qualify for discounts. What a great way to save money!

I've been getting more creative with http://www.restaurant.com/

I used to buy the small certificate as I couldn't spend the amount for the next level. Than I got smart. Yesterday we went out I bought the $25 gift certificate and you are required to spend $45. (I paid $3.50) My bill with tip was $52. so I paid $27 last night plus the $3.50 in advance for $30 total. Three of us plus I order extra food to go to hit the 45 total. Now I have dinner for the 4 of tonight. Very happy to have essentially two meals out for $30!

Please tell me more. Do you do this at home with friends?

Yes normally we do it at my home just because we have lots of room and don't care if the kids go wild. We have a man room with a kids room off of it in the basement and then the ladies can hang out upstairs.

Basically you can swap anything at all. Right now would be a great time to swap out spring/summer items. At our next party we are swapping cook books and jewelry. One of us keeps a detailed list of what is swapped and we usually keep 90 days and do another rotation. The kids can swap toys;the guys swap video games or books or even magazines.

I'm providing several homemade pizzas and then the other couples will bring everything to round out the meal.

We also play "restaurant night" where we have a themed night for example hispanic food and every family has to bring a hispanic entree to share. We all get different items to try and we don't have a to tip a waiter at the end of the night.

we usually have pizza once a week, so instead of getting take out, we buy a mega meat, great value pizza at wal-mart. it is DELICIOUS and we can get two meals out of it. throw in a salad (.99 head of lettuce at aldi) and it makes two VERY cheap meals.

The $5 rotissere chickens at Sam's club are my best friends. DD and DH like the dark meat and I usally just eat 1/2 of a breast. I only have to make a side and a veggie to go with it. The next day I use the left over breast for taco's, paninni's, cream chicken and noodles or chicken salad sandwhiches.:thumbsup2

This is a great idea. I am usually able to get 3 meals out of a chicken - we eat the thighs and 1/2 of 1 breast for dinner the first night. The second meal, I cut the remaining large pieces of chicken off and cube it for a casserole, etc. - I often freeze this so that I can pull it out later in the week. Lastly, I throw the carcass into the crock pot and simmer it until the remaining meat falls off the bone. Strain and pick out the bones and remaining bits of meat, then return it to the pot to make a big batch of chicken soup with the bits of meat and a bag of mixed veggies, and some quick-cook barley thrown in.

[
I have been buying meat in bulk. I got an 8 lb. pork tenderloin and cut that up myself into pork chops, two roasts and some pork that we can skewer on the grill. It is much cheaper doing it this way.

Did you know that when you buy a large piece of meat at the grocery store you can have the butcher cut it up for you? I did that this week w/ the $1.49 pork roast deal, cut the roast in half, had one half cut into two roast for the crock pot and the other into 3/4 inch chops.

My husband and I each registered for groupon and living social and have been enjoying those discounts, trying new favorites and loving when someplace we already like has an offer. Men and women - even when everything else is identical - seem to get different offers so we make a point to compare.

We've been able to get a family membership to a local arboretum for $22 (something that usually goes for $70 or so), $20 for $50 at a locally owned restaurant that we really like (we bought the limit of three allowed), $20 for a mani-pedi at my usual place! (When you use these, don't forget to tip on the full value of the purchase!) There have been other great offers, too - museums, bowling, all kinds of things. These services have really helped us maximize our discretionary dollars.

I have started shopping at Aldi's more, and trying new things there. I tried their regular potato chips, and found them to be quite good (I even fooled my daughter- she didn't notice a difference). Their Clancys' Cool Ranch Doritos are awesome! I couldn't tell a difference. I really was hesitant to try them, buy I am so glad I did. The chips were like $1.19, and the Ranch tortillas were only .99!!! The Lays' brand of chips would cost anywhere from $2.50- $3.00. I am actually having fun shopping there, and seeing what I can get for less. Their produce prices have been fabulous along with their dairy items. If I can't tell a difference in taste, why should I be paying for it?

I've been trying to cook way more from "scratch". Getting out of a box! Some things are super cheap to make (around .40 for a loaf of French bread vs. $2.79 at our local store or .30 for fresh pasta) and taste better!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter