New Universal Water Theme Park Announcement - Volcano Bay (2017)

atricks

DIS Veteran
The announcement for the new water park (Volcano Bay/Wondersea) is coming around 11AM this morning according to Universal twitter. I believe they are also announcing the Nascar restaurant replacement as well. (and possibly other things)

https://twitter.com/UniversalORL/

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads-up! I've been wondering what's the deal with those rumors/hints.

Universal’s Volcano Bay to Become Third Park at Universal Orlando Resort

ORLANDO, Fla. (May 28, 2015) – Universal Orlando Resort today announced a project of remarkable vision: to bring to life an entirely new water theme park experience. Called Volcano Bay at Universal Orlando Resort, it will join Universal Studios Florida and Universal’s Islands of Adventure and become the resort’s third incredibly immersive park.

Universal’s Volcano Bay will be a place for the entire family. It will be a whole new generation of experience that reimagines what it means to be a water park.

Imagine a place that offers radically innovative, thrilling attractions, peaceful moments of relaxation and an inspired guest experience that will forever change the perception of water theme parks. It will be set in a highly themed, completely immersive environment inspired by postcard-perfect tropical islands. And it will be the kind of special place that only the Universal team – the same team that has changed the face of Universal Orlando Resort in recent years - can envision and create.

Universal’s Volcano Bay will be located within Universal Orlando Resort, just south of the Cabana Bay Beach Resort. Work is already underway and more details will be released in the future.

Universal’s Volcano Bay is the next in a series of boldly creative experiences that have opened and will continue to open at Universal Orlando. It began with The Wizarding World of Harry Potter – Hogsmeade in 2010 and quickly moved to Despicable Me Minion Mayhem, Springfield, hometown to America’s favorite animated family, The Simpsons, The Wizarding World of Harry Potter – Diagon Alley, eight new venues at Universal CityWalk, the breathtaking Cabana Bay Beach Resort and more. It will include Skull Island: Reign of Kong and Loews Sapphire Falls Resort in 2016.

And then – in 2017 – will come Universal’s Volcano Bay.

http://blog.universalorlando.com/whats-new/volcano-bay-announcement/?linkId=14563714

Secondary-533.jpg

Reactions: HM
From http://blog.universalorlando.com/whats-new/volcano-bay-announcement/?linkId=14563712

Today, we are announcing a project of incredible vision – bringing to life an entirely new water theme park experience for our guests. This addition will join Universal Studios Florida and Universal’s Islands of Adventure as our destination’s third highly-immersive park and will be called Universal’s Volcano Bay.

This is one of the most exciting projects we have had the opportunity to be part of because Volcano Bay will completely redefine the water park experience for our guests.

The park will feel as if it is set in picture-perfect tropical islands, formed by a massive volcano – and it will have something for every member of the family. It will feature radically-innovative attractions, peaceful moments of relaxation and an experience that we hope will change the way guests think about water theme parks.

We’ve already broken ground on Volcano Bay, just south of Universal’s Cabana Bay Beach Resort. Construction will move quickly, and the park will open in 2017.

Volcano Bay shows how Universal Orlando is continuing to evolve at an unprecedented rate that will not slow anytime soon. Since 2010, we’ve launched more than 18 remarkable experiences across the destination – from new attractions and theme park lands to new on-site hotels and restaurants. Our team will continue delivering new guest experiences that push the limits of theme park entertainment.

More details on Volcano Bay will be announced at a later date. Follow us on Twitter, Facebook or via email for the latest news.

High res concept art:
http://uoteam.com/assets/images/VolcanoBayRendering.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, and it just gets better. My kids will be in their late teens, and well, Disney may not be visited for several years. USO will be on our agenda instead.

I can't wait! I know I am biased in Universal over Disney, but I think Universal just might blow my mind with this water park.

And 2017 is the date for one section of one theme park over at the Motherland where construction started so many years ago already is slated to open. I just that funny, don't know why.

nice addition, but vague at best as to details. I'm an admitted water park snob. Would like to be wow'd.

the rendering appears to be best source of info at this point, with representation of what appears to be a rather smallish wave pool & water slide

anybody know how large of a parcel it is to work their magic?

I have not been to USO yet...so hoping for next year as I am Disney-ed out. But, I have to say - I am so incredibly impressed with what USO has turned out in recent years. I hope WDW is taking notice.

nice addition, but vague at best as to details. I'm an admitted water park snob. Would like to be wow'd.

the rendering appears to be best source of info at this point, with representation of what appears to be a rather smallish wave pool & water slide

anybody know how large of a parcel it is to work their magic?

The parcel is 33 acres. I also noticed that the concept art for Typhoon Lagoon compacted the park offerings into the drawing to give more of an idea of what would be included. I suspect the Volcano Bay concept art was similarly designed.

Typhoon Lagoon is 61 acres, Blizzard Beach is 66 acres (those include the parking lots) and Wet 'n Wild is 25 acres. So Volcano Bay won't be as large but definitely will be big enough.

Last edited:
I wonder if it will be included in a park-to-park admission or if it will be a separate ticket.

Like other posters, I'm incredibly excited by this announcement. The hits just keep coming at Universal. I was already feeling pretty done with Disney after our visit 3 months ago and this seals it: will be spending my leisure time and dollars at Universal going forward.

I will never shun Disney completely, but new additions like this make it increasingly easier to focus more of the trip toward the "Dark Side." They are banging out a major new attraction every year and now to add a new gate?!?!?! What?!?! That is insane. Granted, yes it is only a water park, but its still a massive undertaking and major new addition to the USO resort.

My question is this......Will USO now do away with Wet N' Wild?

i think the wet/wild lease is about to expire.
land will go back to UO.

i can see that water park becoming something else for the darkside to use in the future

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter