Cabana Bay! New Universal Hotel in 2014!!!

I am a little confused as to why you are taking people's opinions so personal..Everyone has their own likes and dislikes.Just like we all have different priorities and price points we are willing to pay . As a Brit coming over for several weeks, I agree it is a great choice of resort for many.But you have to realize for many people,especially Americans, vacation time is alot more limited. As an American, I get off one week a year paid vacation.So for us we stay deluxe because we ; 1) have limited time off and dont like spending it in lines, and since Cabana Bay will not feature the express pass we wont stay here. 2) We splurge on the one week we of vacation we do get.
As for the theme, it neither appeals to me or is unappealing.Much like all things, you will find people that love it , like it or despise it..No reason to take it all so personal.

I am a little confused as to why you are taking people's opinions so personal..Everyone has their own likes and dislikes.Just like we all have different priorities and price points we are willing to pay . As a Brit coming over for several weeks, I agree it is a great choice of resort for many.But you have to realize for many people,especially Americans, vacation time is alot more limited. As an American, I get off one week a year paid vacation.So for us we stay deluxe because we ; 1) have limited time off and dont like spending it in lines, and since Cabana Bay will not feature the express pass we wont stay here. 2) We splurge on the one week we of vacation we do get.
As for the theme, it neither appeals to me or is unappealing.Much like all things, you will find people that love it , like it or despise it..No reason to take it all so personal.

I don't think she was taking it personally, I think she just thought people were being stuck up. I am also a Brit, we have been coming to Disney at least once a year if not more every year since 2001. In fact we were there just after 7/11, the brits were mainly disneys only visitors then. We are staying at this resort and I am a bit worried as never staying at a Value resort before not sure what to expect. I have only chosen it because everything will be new. We normally stay Club Level at Grand Floridian or Boardwalk, but after last years stay I am reluctant to give Disney hotels anymore of our hard earned money.
I was told by a manager at Disney that most Americans only stay at Disney for around 4 nights, we as most Brits stay a minimum of 2 weeks on average, now the costs are a hell of a lot more for 2weeks+, and what with park tickets for those amount of days too. Im sure they would probably be staying deluxe if it was only for 4 days. I'm sure most people want to spend the stay at a deluxe.
What should we expect when it says Value/moderate? I thought its just that there will only be things like counter service restaurants or no sit down restaurants, does it mean cheap bedding, furniture and pillows?

I don't think she was taking it personally, I think she just thought people were being stuck up. I am also a Brit, we have been coming to Disney at least once a year if not more every year since 2001. In fact we were there just after 7/11, the brits were mainly disneys only visitors then. We are staying at this resort and I am a bit worried as never staying at a Value resort before not sure what to expect. I have only chosen it because everything will be new. We normally stay Club Level at Grand Floridian or Boardwalk, but after last years stay I am reluctant to give Disney hotels anymore of our hard earned money.
I was told by a manager at Disney that most Americans only stay at Disney for around 4 nights, we as most Brits stay a minimum of 2 weeks on average, now the costs are a hell of a lot more for 2weeks+, and what with park tickets for those amount of days too. Im sure they would probably be staying deluxe if it was only for 4 days. I'm sure most people want to spend the stay at a deluxe.
What should we expect when it says Value/moderate? I thought its just that there will only be things like counter service restaurants or no sit down restaurants, does it mean cheap bedding, furniture and pillows?

I think the rooms themselves will be just fine. The dining options will be less expensive and the biggest thing is that there is no express pass. That in itself is worth over a hundred dollars a day for a party of at least 2 people. Anyone who is used to staying onsite at Universal and getting the unlimited express pass, will have a tough time giving it up by staying at Cabana Bay.

At first, I wasn't considering Cabana Bay because it doesn't offer Unlimited Express. My little family of 3 doesn't typically need a suite, either, so that didn't mean much at first either. But after we decided to stay onsite at Royal Pacific, I didn't like a couple different things.

1. My mom is traveling with us, and I really didn't want to have all four of us crammed in one little room with two beds and only one bathroom.
2. Why do they charge $10 a night for a refrigerator???? That just seems dumb in this day and age...
3. No waterslide at Royal Pacific...my 10 year old wasn't impressed.

So, I started looking around. I can still purchase Unlimited Express and stay at Cabana Bay. Since we will be there Easter weekend, I do want UE. The cost is almost exactly the same to stay at Royal Pacific, but I will get two separate rooms, another bed, a kitchenette with refrigerator, 2 TVs, and a waterslide. Plus we can still pool hop to all the other pools if we want. So, now I am considering Cabana Bay. Am I in love with the theme? Not really. But I am thinking for this trip, it might just be our best bet...something to think about for sure...

Just wondering, does anyone know if the pool will be open as scheduled (I now that the Lazy River Courtyard won't be), and what about buses to the parks? How long will the walk be to the parks?

Thanks!

At first, I wasn't considering Cabana Bay because it doesn't offer Unlimited Express. My little family of 3 doesn't typically need a suite, either, so that didn't mean much at first either. But after we decided to stay onsite at Royal Pacific, I didn't like a couple different things.

1. My mom is traveling with us, and I really didn't want to have all four of us crammed in one little room with two beds and only one bathroom.
2. Why do they charge $10 a night for a refrigerator???? That just seems dumb in this day and age...
3. No waterslide at Royal Pacific...my 10 year old wasn't impressed.

So, I started looking around. I can still purchase Unlimited Express and stay at Cabana Bay. Since we will be there Easter weekend, I do want UE. The cost is almost exactly the same to stay at Royal Pacific, but I will get two separate rooms, another bed, a kitchenette with refrigerator, 2 TVs, and a waterslide. Plus we can still pool hop to all the other pools if we want. So, now I am considering Cabana Bay. Am I in love with the theme? Not really. But I am thinking for this trip, it might just be our best bet...something to think about for sure...

Just wondering, does anyone know if the pool will be open as scheduled (I now that the Lazy River Courtyard won't be), and what about buses to the parks? How long will the walk be to the parks?

Thanks!

if Cbay is better for you and the family, then book there.
everyone will be happy then.

no one really knows the set up at this point on the transportation set up.
Cbay opens March 31st and i haven't read anything or heard anything new on how that is going to be handled.

on one site that has already been posted, maybe in a different thread, it stated the walk could be 25-30 minutes to the parks.

there are shuttle busses now that run for the 3 onsite hotels so i would imagine Cbay would be using that type of set up.

pick up the hotel guests at a designated bus stop and drop all off at city walk entrance.

once guests start calling the hotel for more details on the transportation arrangements, maybe they will post in this forum and share what they were told.

The whole idea was to provide accommodations to suite more people. It appears that purpose is being served.

Do we know for sure that Cabana Bay guests will be able to pool hop?

From current pictures, the pool in the first section is ready to go.

Just a bit of info about the deluxe hotel onsite express pass. It is good for check in and check out day. So one night of accommodation gives two full days of express. When you purchase the express pass separately, you only get one day of express pass. When looking into pricing differences between the hotels, this needs to be taken into consideration.

The whole idea was to provide accommodations to suite more people. It appears that purpose is being served.

Do we know for sure that Cabana Bay guests will be able to pool hop?

From current pictures, the pool in the first section is ready to go.

someone posted not too long ago that they called and were told that they could pool hop to the 3 deluxe hotel pools.

don't know if that was due to no pool being available at Cbay at opening or what.

if it is valid for Cbay-ers to pool hop, it will probably be for a restricted time period until the pools are open to the Cbay guests.

that's just a guess on my part.

Thanks!

On the Universal hotel site it does say in the FAQ section that guests can use the pools at the other hotels :)

We will be staying for 4 nights, but we won't be arriving early the first day and have will be heading to Port Canaveral for our Magic cruise when we leave. So a 3 day ticket and UE for those 3 days seem like they will be enough...:confused3 But I am sure no matter what, we will want to return after the new HP area opens this summer, so 3 days should be good for now.

It can be difficult to try something new! We LOVE Disney so much and have become pros at those stays. We are very excited for Universal, but being newbies is more work! ;) I think I like the work though so it's alright!

Just realized it was on the Loews site that I found out about the pool... this is what I read in the FAQ section...

"Do I have access to Mandara Spa at Loews Portofino Bay Hotel and the Kids’ Camps?
Yes, guests of Universal’s Cabana Bay Beach Resort have access to the all on-site hotel pools, Mandara Spa at Loews Portofino Bay Hotel and the resort Kids Camp. In addition, Cabana Bay guests may dine at any of the restaurants at all three on-site hotels."

http://www.loewshotels.com/en/Cabana-Bay/index/faqs

the FAQ pages are the best source of finding info.
thanks for sharing that.

i haven't explored the Cbay in detail as i am content to staying at the other onsite hotels.

the hotel restaurants are available to everyone, you don't have to stay onsite to eat there.
using the water taxis are also allowed for offsite guests to reach the hotel eateries.

erinsmom03, i hope you enjoy your upcoming stay at the darkside.
there are many that do both the motherland and the darkside for split trips.

each theme parks offers something for everyone.

Thank you Macraven! You have been very helpful on this new journey to the darkside! If it was just the 3 of us, we would probably stay at RPH. We probably will next time. Having my mom with us makes for some flexibility on our usual needs, wants, and standards... So I guess I am thankful that Universal has this new option available for us to try. Excited again! I really didn't want to have all 4 of us in a room together...that's why we have separate cabins on the cruise ship, lol!

Thank you Macraven! You have been very helpful on this new journey to the darkside! If it was just the 3 of us, we would probably stay at RPH. We probably will next time. Having my mom with us makes for some flexibility on our usual needs, wants, and standards... So I guess I am thankful that Universal has this new option available for us to try. Excited again! I really didn't want to have all 4 of us in a room together...that's why we have separate cabins on the cruise ship, lol!

We're looking forward to a nice trip report!

Damo, I have appreciated all your advice and info too! I will try to take lots of pics and post a trip report! Maybe if I am bored on the Magic :lmao: I can take advantage of the new wifi packages on the ship to post a report!

Awesome video! Looks closer than I was expecting. I am totally jealous of all the green grass and trees! We are buried under mountains of snow! 64 days until we try out the new Cabana Bay! :cool1:

Awesome video! Looks closer than I was expecting. I am totally jealous of all the green grass and trees! We are buried under mountains of snow! 64 days until we try out the new Cabana Bay! :cool1:

They'll be widening it out and adding a bridge.

We've got mountains of snow here too. And it is so freakin' cold. Looking forward to looking at your photos of warm places!

Miketheboss over at orlandounited.com posted this youtube video showing the walk from Cabana Bay to the checkpoint area beside Margaritaville....takes about 8 1/2 minutes to walk it. I know that some construction is going to be done to enhance it but that's not a bad walk at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=BQ5UwcFKVCk

That is great! Thanks for posting. A 10 minute walk? Excellent! Will probably end up being faster then the shuttle. An easy stumble back from a long day at the parks or a different kind of stumble from City Walk. lol

They'll be widening it out and adding a bridge.

We've got mountains of snow here too. And it is so freakin' cold. Looking forward to looking at your photos of warm places!

My warm pics are too far away!!!!! It is ridiculously cold here too! I am done with winter! Wishing I had booked a February vacay this year instead of April!

I spend a lot of spare time looking at Disney cruises and DISboard these days...

Hello

With the new hotel do you get the extras like the other three?

For example fast passes and allowed in park hour early

Thank you :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter