New to Uber - Safe for Female Solo Traveler?

Elevationist

Princess No-Pants
So in planning my October 2016 solo trip, I've decided that I will be staying my first night in the Orlando area (at a Comfort Suites near Universal), and having dinner at a place about 3 miles away, on I-Drive. Rather than dealing with the hassle of driving in Orlando on a Friday night, I was planning on using Uber for the first time to get from my hotel to dinner, and back. (This would allow me to enjoy a few cocktails, as well.)

I was telling my mother recently about this idea while chatting with her about my planning, and of course, she did the Mom thing and totally freaked out about me using Uber, out of concern for my safety and taking a ride with a stranger like that. Initially I blew her off, told her she was being silly, etc.

But the thought has lingered with me, honestly, and now I can't seem to shake it. I'd really like to try the service out. However, would it be a smart decision for me, a 35-year-old female traveling solo?

Ladies, would you be/are you comfortable using this service alone?
Men, would you be/are you be okay with your wife/daughter/girlfriend/mother/whoever using Uber in Orlando on her own?

Last edited:
I've used Uber once. I had to. And it was not a bad experience, but i've heard from my friends that it doesn't always goes well. Girls complained several times. I would not use Uber unless there is no other option :(

My daughter & friends used Uber in Orlando to go from their hotel to the Hard Rock for a concert & use it frequently locally when doing GNO's but there is always at least 2 of them or more. They've had no issues that I've heard & I'm an over protective mom so I know I would have freaked out about their Orlando trip had they had any issues.

We've only used it once, in San Francisco. It went very well but not sure that I would have been comfortable if I had been alone.

I'm, sort of, in the same boat. My DD and I will be at WDW in March and want to go offsite to do some shopping. I've looked at renting a car for a couple of days but the cost of Uber is soooo much less(the March rental rates are really high). I'm nervous about getting in a car with a stranger.....although, how is a taxi that much different.

I will be at WDW in Dec with my DH and we are bouncing around the idea of using Uber.....I have no second thoughts having him along for the ride. We can rent a car for the day for approx the same cost as a couple of Uber rides. Decisions, decisions.

I've never actually ridden in UBER alone. But I absolutely would. Especially in Orlando. The drivers we met there is September were amazing!

I use Uber as an alone female often. If you are worried about saftey as a female in Uber you have to be worried about saftey as a female in a taxi.
I completely agree. Logically, there is no difference getting into a taxi alone. I think that because taxi's are comon place we think nothing of it but Uber is the new thing. :confused3

I completely agree. Logically, there is no difference getting into a taxi alone. I think that because taxi's are comon place we think nothing of it but Uber is the new thing. :confused3

I actually think Uber is better as you know exactly who your driver is suppose to be and you have their liscense plate in the event something does happen. With a taxi you have none of that information unless you write it down yourself.

I actually think Uber is better as you know exactly who your driver is suppose to be and you have their liscense plate in the event something does happen. With a taxi you have none of that information unless you write it down yourself.
Good points

Heres some food for thought. As many if you know, I drive UberXL and Select at wdw. I also, during the day, leave it on at home. I live in Windermere, about ten mins north of MK. Frequently, I drive teenagers (usually girls) from the area to local shopping and dtd. I even spoke with ones Mom last week. So parents are definitely booking uber for their kids. That mom actually lived in a $10mil home in Keenes Point.

Wouldn't a dispatcher have that information though?

Wouldn't a dispatcher have that information though?

If your cab is dispatched probably but if you just hail whatever cab is waiting at the parks or resorts then no they wouldn't. You would at least need the medallion number.

I agree. I use Uber about once a week. At least there is a record of who's car I got into, unlike a taxi I hail down.

I drive for Uber, my picture, my car information is all shown to the rider. We have to keep over a 4.5 star rating. Our cars have to be newer, clean, maintained. I had more clearances done then when I did volunteer work with kids. My registration, insurance and drivers license are all mandated up to date.

I can't imagine a sexual assault in an Uber cab and being common. A rouge Taxi in NYC took an elderly lady friend from the airport and raped, beat and robbed her. There is NO WAY a sexual assault could happen and the Uber driver got away with it.

Not driving for Uber in Orlando, but I know many of the drivers there. They are making a living, and know the tourist are a great way to pick up a safe ride. The main issue is drunks from the Food and Wine in their cars. But, that is from chit chat with them, not my first hand knowledge.

I drive for Uber, my picture, my car information is all shown to the rider. We have to keep over a 4.5 star rating. Our cars have to be newer, clean, maintained. I had more clearances done then when I did volunteer work with kids. My registration, insurance and drivers license are all mandated up to date.

I can't imagine a sexual assault in an Uber cab and being common. A rouge Taxi in NYC took an elderly lady friend from the airport and raped, beat and robbed her. There is NO WAY a sexual assault could happen and the Uber driver got away with it.

Not driving for Uber in Orlando, but I know many of the drivers there. They are making a living, and know the tourist are a great way to pick up a safe ride. The main issue is drunks from the Food and Wine in their cars. But, that is from chit chat with them, not my first hand knowledge.

Yup! Had a young lady from food and wine puke out my window on the way back up to universal. Then I got her friend again the next night from epcot!

Last edited:
I use Uber alone all the time. At home I live about 15mins from downtown and when I go out with my friends I always Uber home by myself. I feel WAY more comfortable taking an Uber than a taxi that I flag down. When I book an Uber I have the person's name and license plate number. If I flag down a cab I don't have any of that information. I also find calling for a taxi and hoping it shows up or flagging one down a pain in the neck.

I travel a lot for work or to visit my DBF who travels all the time for work. Normally we are coming and going on different flights at different times. I've take Ubers to and from airports all over the country alone and have never felt unsafe. I can't say the same for taxis. Plus Ubers are normally cleaner and the drivers actually care about their rating.

My last big plus for Uber is that all of the payment is done over the ap and I don't need to take out my wallet or hand the driver money. I've had a creepy taxi driver grab my arm and try to kiss me when I handing him the fare when I got to my destination... not a great way to end the night.

I'm a female and frequent business traveler and have used Uber alone well over 100 times. In many different cities and at different times of day/night. Never once had an incident or felt unsafe. As mentioned, you can view your driver and their star rating (rated by other passengers) before they even pick you up. If a driver's star rating drops below a certain number, they are prohibited from accepting fares until they complete additional training. Drivers go through extensive background checks and insurance requirements, and tend to drive more safely than taxi drivers do since they are in their own vehicles. In addition, all Uber transactions are done through the app both on your side and the driver's side. When the driver accepts your fare, the app dictates the route they should take and their vehicle is monitored via GPS. I'd say the risk of an attack or incident occurring would be just the same in a taxi cab as it would be in an Uber car.

Because of the uproar taxi unions have created against Uber and other car share services, the media amplifies anything that Uber does (good or bad) and focuses on it. That's why you hear about it. It doesn't mean these things aren't happening with taxi drivers.

Thank you ALL for your thoughts and feedback. You've really put my mind at ease. I didn't have a second thought about using Uber initially, but then after my Mom got worried about me using it, it was hard NOT to have some lingering concerns. Of course, their website isn't very forthcoming about things like how well their drivers are vetted or about the fact that the rider obtains all of the drivers info, etc. So knowing all of that is very comforting. I do believe I'll be sticking to my original plan and giving Uber a try during next year's trip. :cutie:

My last big plus for Uber is that all of the payment is done over the ap and I don't need to take out my wallet or hand the driver money.
I do have a question about this... Does this mean you don't need to tip your Uber driver (which I had every intention of doing)?

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter