New to Southern California; planning a trip for April 2010; help!

Discussion in 'Disneyland (California)' started by amashstat, Apr 26, 2009.

1. amashstat

amashstat Earning My Ears

After much discussion, my husband and I decided NOT to take my son out of school in January to go to Disney World in Orlando. So instead, we're going over spring break in April to Southern California. We want our vacation to be more than Disney, Disney, Disney. So far, here's what we're thinking:

Length of Visit: Around 5 to 6 days.
    Staying: Marriott timeshare in Newport Beach
    Agenda: Disneyland, centered around a character breakfast, Legoland and a couple of beach days.

So does anyone have any advice on "must dos" around the area? Or any good character dining recommendations? We have two kids. A boy, who will be 6 and a girl who will be 4. We want our trip to be more than just theme parks, which is why we'll be hoping for good beach days.

I'd love any suggestions!

2. maynrive

maynrive DisManiac

Kids that age, I'd probably include a trip down to San Diego and visit Lego Land, Sea World, San Diego Zoo or Wild Animal Park.

You probably already guessed that NCV is close to the ocean. Personally, I don't think too highly of Crystal Cove compared to the other beaches in the area. I'd definitely check out some of the other beaches like Newport Beach or Huntington Beach to the North or Laguna Beach to the South.

I guess there's also Knott's Berry Farm, which is only a couple of miles from DLR or Universal Studios. I haven't been to either of those in a few years, so I'll leave opinions on that one to someone else...

That's pretty much all I can think of off the top of my head...

3. MAH4546

MAH4546 DIS Veteran

Where are you from? It is still quite chilly in April. Only two weeks ago it was in the high-40's. If you are from a cold weather place, you'll have your beach days, but if you are from a warm weather place, you'll probably find it far too cold to go to the beach in April.

4. iloveyou_belle

iloveyou_belle bad never looked this good