New Tires need advice

There are many different design elements between the ST vs LT tires. Although I wouldnt, I can see how an LT tire would work on a trailer, an ST tire however would not work on a tow vehicle due to the sidewall and tread design, the ST would have way too much sidewall flex and the tow vehicle would be unstable.
Another issue with the ST vs LT would be weight, the LT will weigh more, this "unsprung weight" or rolling mass if you will, would have an effect on the suspension and braking of the trailer, it may or may not be noticeable but it will be a factor to consider. Like many, I would prefer to buy an ST tire that offers a wider margin of weight carrying than most of whats offered, thats why it pays to shop and see whats out there, as our OP did, You cant beat an informed consumer !

I think if you look closely the ST tires have a much stiffer sidewall than a LT tire in the same size and hence a higher load capacity for the same sized tire ... not more flex ... and that is one of the critical elements I mentioned in resisting the ladder or curb scruff in very tight manuevers where the tires are trying to twist on the rims because of the very close spacing of the axles. Semis have the same issue on the two back axles, but those tires are like rocks and can absorb that more than our measly TT tires. The very stiff sidewalls in an ST tire is one of the major advantages since you actually want less traction at the road surface (i.e. a tall skinny tire) with less surface traction vs. something on a vehicle where you want max traction for control. All the tires on a TT needs to do is to follow the direction it is heading in.

Larry

What's everybody got against Kenda tires? I run them on my motorscooter and have for the last 4 years. The only problem I ever had was I blew one after I hit a pothole really hard, which also bent my rim. I don't care what tire I would have had, it would have blown. I also know the guy at my bicycle shop swears by them, as do a lot of professional bicycle racers. Now granted, these aren't trailer tires, but a motorcycle/scooter tire is a fairly sophisticated combination of layers and shows some competence in engineering and manufacturing in order to produce it.

Re. trailer tires - everybody who stores their camper outdoors should be covering their tires. This will add years to the tire life. Tires should be changed by age, not wear, on a camper. These tires are made entirely different than automotive tires, as others have said. I have heard that they should be changed every 5-7 years. I do mine about every 6-7 years and have never, knock on wood, had an issue. My trailer did come with C range tires from the factory, which were okay but when I swapped them out 2 years ago I had D range put on and feel a lot better about that. I think someone mentioned putting conventional automotive tires on their trailer, which I feel would be a huge mistake. The trailer tires HAVE to flex - just watch them flex when someone is backing into a space. Firmer sidewalls would never be able to perform like this.

Lone Star....I don't see how you are going to move out to Texas. Believe me...you will miss it more than the two a year will make up for!

Listening to the you tube videos made me homesick!

I love Florida! Everything I have has mickey decor but I still have Texas blood!

Now that we have the tires for the trailer figured out we are now in the process of getting new rotors on the truck. The last time we put new brake pads on the rotors could not be turned anymore. So before we pull this year...

That $40/night camping at Fort Wilderness is getting more expensive! ha!

We are also going to order a good RV mattress. We put a regular good queen in there but just doesn't sleep well. I think it is because it does not fit the platform. So, I am going to order the 74" RV mattress. So there goes more mula!

Lone Star....I don't see how you are going to move out to Texas. Believe me...you will miss it more than the two a year will make up for!

Listening to the you tube videos made me homesick!

I love Florida! Everything I have has mickey decor but I still have Texas blood!

Now that we have the tires for the trailer figured out we are now in the process of getting new rotors on the truck. The last time we put new brake pads on the rotors could not be turned anymore. So before we pull this year...

That $40/night camping at Fort Wilderness is getting more expensive! ha!

We are also going to order a good RV mattress. We put a regular good queen in there but just doesn't sleep well. I think it is because it does not fit the platform. So, I am going to order the 74" RV mattress. So there goes more mula!

We won't leave Texas but if we did it would be for Florida. Glad you liked the videos I am not a big fan of main stream country but I love Texas country also know as red dirt country when you throw in some of the boys from Oklahoma. Boy don't I know about those campsites costing a ton, there not that bad. But the trailer that turns into a toy hauler to haul the golf cart so you need a diesel to pull it all well you get the idea.:sad2:

I think if you look closely the ST tires have a much stiffer sidewall than a LT tire in the same size and hence a higher load capacity for the same sized tire ... not more flex ... and that is one of the critical elements I mentioned in resisting the ladder or curb scruff in very tight manuevers where the tires are trying to twist on the rims because of the very close spacing of the axles. Semis have the same issue on the two back axles, but those tires are like rocks and can absorb that more than our measly TT tires. The very stiff sidewalls in an ST tire is one of the major advantages since you actually want less traction at the road surface (i.e. a tall skinny tire) with less surface traction vs. something on a vehicle where you want max traction for control. All the tires on a TT needs to do is to follow the direction it is heading in.

Larry

I stand by my original comments.

While you are at it, have make sure you have your ball bearings greased. I get mine done ever couple years, normally before my haul to WDW. You may also want to contact your local ITD(indp. Tire Dealer) or trailer dealer. We have a company here in STL that deals specifically with hithces, trailers and other maintence. I find they are good guys, lower labor rates and know what's going on.

SP

Having blown a tire on the way home from FW in June, we are really in the market. We have found Carlisle tires are "E" rated 15" ST for around $100 each. We are getting the nitrogen put in because DH has read that it keeps the tires cooler and it's free so what the heck. I had asked about balancing on the Titanium User Group site and they said the same thing as here..yes, balance and yes, good valve stems. Not sure where they are made any more, but originally it was PA.

We have had a lot of trouble with Carlisle tires. We first experienced them with our first TT on our way to the fort. Had a blowout on the way and one coming home and found out that Carlisle was having some "issues" with their tires. The blowout we had caused damage to our TT and Carlisle paid for that. We bought our 5th wheel we now have in 2005 and low and behold, it had Carlisle tires on it....we thought surely the issues had been worked out. Nope...coming home from a trip to the North Georgia Mountains, we had a blowout...more damage to our fifth wheel. Called Carlisle tire and they are taking care of it! I will say that they have been wonderful to work with.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter