New survey .. proposal .. Tiered Ticket Prices

Could there be a "base price" and then you are automatically charged the relevant difference to your account as soon as you use your ticket to enter a park on a particular day?
I can see them telling you to go over to Guest Services to upgrade your Silver ticket to Gold for a premium day entry...

What this does for my family is the opposite of the whole more days = cheaper/day. We go early February. So we would do park days Sun-Fri and then go home (or Universal) with a 6 day bronze ticket as opposed to our usual Sun-Sat, 7 day ticket that would have to be silver to include Saturday. So, for my family of 4, it would be an extra $120 bucks to add that 7th day (a Saturday). Um, nope, we'll head to US or home. They've just killed their "cheaper to add extra days" mantra that they've always relied on.

I'll tell you what the next step would be. The next round of surveys will indicate most guest wanted a lower price for weekends. So they will offer a slight decrease on the weekend but impose a larger increase during the week to offset. Already saw this trick with DVC about 5 years ago.

I may be in the minority, but I think this is a reasonable idea as long as the "average" ticket price does not exceed a reasonable annual increase. This is how pricing is done in Theatre, US Express Pass, the Resort Rates etc. Disney is discovering, as we have, that crowds are becoming higher for all times. Along with MDX, FP+, special events for slower times etc. WDW could use tiered ticket pricing to re-distribute crowds that meet the guest satisfaction and fire marshal capacity requirements without reducing revenue.

It adds another planning level. Tickets from outside vendors would have to be more carefully planned. Your TA may need to buy 5 silver tickets and 2 Gold for example. It sounds logistically nightmarish in some situations but I can see why WDW would consider it.

They could potentially say that the first day of your package determines the level for the length of stay, so if your first day is silver then you pay silver for your whole stay, much like how kids don't age.

FIFY
Remember, someone in the suit farm is convinced they're leaving money on the table with their current admission prices...

Honestly, with the crowds at MK, I can see why they think that.

This reminds me of the Wishes Dessert Party...they almost doubled the price and didn't change the offerings. Now, it doesn't seem to be selling out like it used to, but they can still make more profit with that higher price even if they do lose some customers.

Wishes Desserts is $27. Not terrible. BUT the dessert and cocktails parties at EP are $75! I assume so is the HS SWW cocktails parties. The real kicker? Pay $75 to STAND in a roped off section (no chair?) And wait as long as I do, and by the way, I'm closer to the stage?! I could go buy a drink or two at $13 and be ahead!

If I'm going to pay for VIP, there BETTER be seats, and Terrace Dessert DOES in fact have seats, for $27!

Wishes Desserts is $27. Not terrible. BUT the dessert and cocktails parties at EP are $75! I assume so is the HS SWW cocktails parties. The real kicker? Pay $75 to STAND in a roped off section (no chair?) And wait as long as I do, and by the way, I'm closer to the stage?! I could go buy a drink or two at $13 and be ahead!

If I'm going to pay for VIP, there BETTER be seats, and Terrace Dessert DOES in fact have seats, for $27!

That's the old price. Wishes Dessert Party is $53 dollars now (Since July 4)

This weekend thing and making all tickets go to the higher price will do one of two things for my family, turn us into US family, or drastically shorten a WDW trip to 4 days vs 7 to 9 so as to avoid paying more for the duration. No way HS is worth 97 bucks as it is now, imagine paying a gold rate...

Next up.......

Seasonal charges for parking, at the parks and at the RESORTS as well.

Seasonal charges for all dining, including CS options.

Tickets expiring in a one year period.

Xtreme mark-up on water park tickets in the summer.

Seasonal charges for MExpress.

Opening the parks later and charging for EMHours.

I think this year the have 17 different types of seasons for the hotels, I can see them coming up with 17 different seasons for tickets too.

I wonder what Walt would think of all this...from these tiered tickets to the FP+ and taking away the spurr of the moment to Disney that I used to love...

Not that I am in any way of a fan of this, but the parks in Walt's day were tiered in a way - you bought tickets for rides and the "E-ticket" rides cost more.

Next up.......

Seasonal charges for parking, at the parks and at the RESORTS as well.

Seasonal charges for all dining, including CS options.

Tickets expiring in a one year period.

Xtreme mark-up on water park tickets in the summer.

Seasonal charges for MExpress.

Opening the parks later and charging for EMHours.

I think this year the have 17 different types of seasons for the hotels, I can see them coming up with 17 different seasons for tickets too.

I tend to think this is exactly what they are trying to do to guests who do not buy an "all inclusive vacation package." It used to be that you could save money (even on an on-site visit) by purchasing components individually over a vacation package by combining room only discounts with discounted tickets (like from Undercover Tourist) and carefully watching your food budget. But if they eliminate room-only discounts, any self-realized savings on food, etc., that forces visitors to either buy a (non-itemized) "package" at whatever total price they dictate for a value, moderate, or deluxe hotel or go a la carte and pay a premium price for Every. Single. Thing. (tickets, food, parking, individual hotel rooms, Magical Express, etc.). Bury the "savings" in the total package price and fool people into thinking that they are "saving money" because all of the a la carte prices add up to way more than the "package" price.

Last edited:
That's the old price. Wishes Dessert Party is $53 dollars now (Since July 4)
That's crappy. I asked the CM at the desk two days ago. She didn't mention that. Do they start adding in a cocktail for that price? Maybe I'll do it before it goes up, hmm.... At least you get to sit down all night...

I got the BEST Hollywood Brown Derby dinner VIP Fantasmic package last year for $58. UNREAl amount of high quality food and service. $53 for dessert...that's NO Brown Derby...

That's crappy. I asked the CM at the desk two days ago. She didn't mention that. Do they start adding in a cocktail for that price? Maybe I'll do it before it goes up, hmm.... At least you get to sit down all night...

I got the BEST Hollywood Brown Derby dinner VIP Fantasmic package last year for $58. UNREAl amount of high quality food and service. $53 for dessert...that's NO Brown Derby...

Nope, no alcohol.

I tend to think this is exactly what they are trying to do to guests who do not buy an "all inclusive vacation package." It used to be that you could save money (even on an on-site visit) by purchasing components individually over a vacation package by combining room only discounts with discounted tickets (like from Undercover Tourist) and carefully watching your food budget. But if they eliminate room-only discounts, any self-realized savings on food, etc., that forces visitors to either buy a (non-itemized) "package" at whatever total price they dictate for a value, moderate, or deluxe hotel or go a la carte and pay a premium price for Every. Single. Thing. (tickets, food, parking, individual hotel rooms, Magical Express, etc.). Bury the "savings" in the total package price and fool people into thinking that they are "saving money" because all of the a la carte prices add up to way more than the "package" price.

So essentially making all packages some version of "Stay Play Dine"

I can see them telling you to go over to Guest Services to upgrade your Silver ticket to Gold for a premium day entry...

I don't think they will do this. I can't even imagine the ruckus!

I think if they do this, all tickets bought outside of packages will be Gold.

So essentially making all packages some version of "Stay Play Dine"

Yep...all packages will include a room, tickets, and some sort of dining plan. Maybe there will be some limited upgrades (like adding water parks and more to the tickets or upgrading to the deluxe dining plan). But, opting out of the package won't save you any money, because the prices on individual items will be jacked up when purchased a la carte. It's a way to ensure that every on-site vacation has a minimum cost/profit associated with it (and a way to force people into buying travel insurance - which in most cases is nothing but pure profit). And it's a way to charge off-site guests more without making it look like they are being charged more (because you will never know the individual prices for the room, tickets, and food when purchased as a "package").

I think their goal is to make it as inconvenient as possible for the non-AP-holding guests who stay off site. Make it difficult/confusing for the novices/first-time visitors and they will wave the white flag and surrender to the Disney vacation package and pay whatever price Disney dictates for their "Once in a Lifetime Dream Vacation". I'm convinced Disney no longer values their repeat customers. It's all about who they can sucker into shelling out the absolute most money to have a "magical" vacation. Most repeat visitors are trying to SAVE money (that's not who Disney wants to cater to). If you're a repeat customer, they want you in DVC (another way to get all of your money upfront, for services not-yet-received)

Last edited:
Yep...all packages will include a room, tickets, and some sort of dining plan. Maybe there will be some limited upgrades (like adding water parks and more to the tickets or upgrading to the deluxe dining plan). But, opting out of the package won't save you any money, because the prices on individual items will be jacked up when purchased a la carte. It's a way to ensure that every on-site vacation has a minimum cost/profit associated with it (and a way to force people into buying travel insurance - which in most cases is nothing but pure profit). And it's a way to charge off-site guests more without making it look like they are being charged more (because you will never know the individual prices for the room, tickets, and food when purchased as a "package").

I definitely could see this.

Tons of business try and obfuscate the real price.

Disney probably sells a lot of dining plans right now because the cost (per day) is often "buried" (though visible if you look for it) in the price of a package. Some people just don't care to itemize. I took one look at the price per day for the dining plan and when I realized I wouldn't come close to spending $60/day on just lunch and dinner (on myself) .. I realized that it wasn't for me.

No cocktails in MK..not happening. and yes, if you book for July 4 or after you get the new price, which is almost twice the previous price.

Don't really like Fantasmic so I think I'd just eat at the Derby and forget the package stuff. I did do the Star Wars package for $70. I liked doing it. probably carried out about $50 worth of Disney priced bottled water.

And they're just surveying on this ticket thing right now...checking to see if guests might still actually pay for something like this. If they survey you, tell em no.

I definitely could see this.

Tons of business try and obfuscate the real price.

Disney probably sells a lot of dining plans right now because the cost (per day) is often "buried" (though visible if you look for it) in the price of a package. Some people just don't care to itemize. I took one look at the price per day for the dining plan and when I realized I wouldn't come close to spending $60/day on just lunch and dinner (on myself) .. I realized that it wasn't for me.

Yep...I never did the dining plan, either. It was always just myself and my son, and we could split an adult meal (and both be satisfied) for less money than paying for an adult and a kid's meal on the dining plan. Not to mention, I never liked to eat table service every day of our trip (maybe only 3 table service ressies in a week-long visit), so we would have down-graded some of our TS credits for QS. If I had gotten the dining plan, I would have strictly been paying for the convenience of having all of my food pre-paid and not saved any money. I realize the dining plan works for some, but definitely not for all. But we all know that mathematically it HAS to work in Disney's favor the vast majority of the time, otherwise they wouldn't be offering it at all. Yet look how quickly free dining books up...Disney execs and shareholders are laughing all the way to the bank.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter