New Sony a33 and totally overwhelmed...

tamimouse

Mouseketeer
I am looking forward to learning more about this camera, but wow, there is a lot to learn! Could someone help me with lenses? I am planning on using it to take pics of my DD playing BB, Disney vacations etc. A 18-55mm f3.5-5.6mm came with it. I am looking for something more telephoto. Do any of these sound good?

18-250mm f3.5-6.3
55-200mm f4-5.6

Is there something else I should look for?

Thanks so much for any help! :goodvibes

Congratulations on your new camera!! I've had the A55 for several months and think the Axx's are great.

I also have the 18-250 lens and always feel comfortable in recommending it. It's a very nice lens with a great range. As with most super zooms it is not going to be great for shooting in low light but is very capable in good lighting. I think that Tamron has finally released their 18-270mm in the Sony mount and would be another good option.

I think by BB you meant basketball? When taking pictures indoors the best type of lens is one with a large, constant aperture - 2.8 or faster like 1.7 or 1.4. Depending on your budget there are various options such as a 70-200 f2.8 zoom that will cost from $700-1700. For basketball you could also do a fast prime lens and sit close to the court. The Sony 50mm f1.8 ($150) or a used Minolta autofocus 50mm f1.7 (approx $80-100). Maybe the Sony 85mm f2.8. If your budget is larger there are a few other options as well.

It never hurts to try bumping up the ISO on your camera and try the zoom in a gym with good lighting. The thing to watch for is the shutter speed you're able to get.

Ditto the recommendation on the Sony 18-250mm as a great all around lens with some good range - I've had one for years and love it - it's my go-to travel lens and all purpose lens. There will be lenses better for specific duties at telephoto - but few if any have the flexibility to shoot any type of scene you may encounter. I'd advise one thing though - if you intend to use the lens to shoot video a lot, you will likely pick up the sound of the focus through the microphones...it wasn't a lens designed with video in mind. The newer Tamron 18-270mm may be somewhat better for this purpose as it apparently has a quiet focus system. Optically, they'd both be fine choices, and if video isn't important, than the Sony 18-250 or Tamron 18-250 would both be fine as well (note that Tamron actually makes the 18-250 for Sony, so optically the Tamron version of the lens is identical - there are a few tweaks Sony made to the gearing and grip design).

I recently sold my Sony a350 and will soon be purchasing a a33 or a55. I'm really looking forward to the x shot per second...

I agree with Kathy and Justin's comments. I own the Sony 18-250mm lens. Because of the versatility and image quality of this lens, I use it all of the time. For a low light, fast lens, I use a Sigma 30mm f1.4.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter