1. Follow the DIS on Instagram! www.instagram.com/the.dis

New site is fighting me to book a king bed with child

Discussion in 'Disney Resorts' started by manateesmom, Jan 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dansdad

dansdad DIS Veteran

I'm sorry but a king room, even in AB, has a king bed only. No murphy bed.

2. Avatar

DIS Sponsor The Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin is located in the heart of the Walt Disney World Reosrt.

to hide this advert.
  3. maxiesmom

maxiesmom The Mean Squinty Eye Works

They won't honor a request that would end up having more people in a room than what the fire code allows. The OP has to come to grips with the fact that she has now outgrown the king bedded rooms, as far as Disney is concerned. And there is no way around that fact.

4. hsmamato2

hsmamato2 <font color=magenta>Tink in Training-Good Girl,Bad

wow...it seems like some pp's are being kind of..mean....:confused3 sorry OP....obviously it's a rule there. I agree, what's the diff between a kid who'll be 3 in a week vs. a kid who turned 3 a week ago....there isn't any difference.And who cares where he sleeps? that's reality, but I guess it's the rules..... do what you will with the information.....:thumbsup2
    maybe you can sleep with ds in one bed?

5. lost*in*cyberspace

lost*in*cyberspace DIS Veteran

Interesting. I have learned something new.

6. lost*in*cyberspace

lost*in*cyberspace DIS Veteran

How is explaining the rules mean? Seriously?

7. hsmamato2

hsmamato2 <font color=magenta>Tink in Training-Good Girl,Bad

..And I quote....;) it just seemed kind of like there was no sympathy for OP's current story..when she hadn't done anything wrong.... I DO sympathize,since it isn't logical, but I do agree,yes, as many here have stated, it IS the rule.:thumbsup2

8. maxiesmom

I do have sympathy for the OP. I'm just worried by how many Go Ahead and Do It posts there were. And a few that made statements that just are not true! "There is no legal reason for it. Just make a request for it". Not good advice at all! It is frightening that someone could try and follow that advice and end up with a ruined vacation.

9. DisneyGal24

DisneyGal24 Always dreaming of Disney!

I have read this whole thread and I am confused about one thing. Why was I able to get a non-handicapped king room at Pop with Dh and Dd who was 4 at the time? We booked it with two adults and one child. We were not trying to get away with anything. This was 2 years ago. Did Pop just mess up or have he occupancy rules changed? Also, I don't think OP is trying to get around the rule either. They just don't understand why it's different once a child turns 3. By reading PP I think that has been explained by now though.

10. Deb & Bill

Deb & Bill DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Now, stop telling the OP her days in a king sized bed at WDW have come to an end. She can book a DVC one bedroom and get a king in the master bedroom and either one queen sleeper sofa or one queen sleeper sofa and a twin sized sleeper chair in the living room.

It's just gonna cost her a bunch more.

11. caffeinegirl47

caffeinegirl47 Earning My Ears

I think that now post-refurb, King Rooms now do have the extra bed. (before the refurb, the extra bed was a trundle bed. King Rooms did not have the trundle.)

From PortOrleans.org:

"Additionally, Alligator Bayou rooms (only) include an extra fold-down Murphy bed located over the banquette bench seat (including King Bed rooms). These beds are about 63" in length and are suitable for children aged up to about ten years, but would probably be too small for most adults over 5 ft in height. Note: the only way to guarantee this feature is by having a party of five people at Riverside, or by booking a Preferred Location room"

If there are indeed beds that provide sleeping space for 3 in the rooms (2 in King, 1 in Murphy), anyone know how does that work with the fire code? The new Murphy beds were just recently installed and it seems silly for Disney to have installed them if they can't actually be slept in. (Although I can imagine a scenario where it was cheaper for Disney to bulk order the Murphy Bed/bench/storage drawers setup for all of the rooms and install them as a standard, even in rooms where the Murphy bed would never be used. Gotta love large corporations :rotfl2:)

OP, I would also re-ask your question on the POR thread. Andre or someone else may have experience with your specific situation. The thread can be found here.

Off Topic: Anyone know where to find out more about the fire code regulations? This was new info for me too, and it's the kind of slightly weird topic that really interests me. (I'm tons of fun at parties, really :cool1:)

12. gwynne

gwynne Be always blooming

The fast way to get this question answered is to do a test booking, which I did. When attempting to book a King room with two adults, one 3 year old child, Port Orleans Riverside, the room shows unavailable. Reason: Party Size Exceeds Maximum Room Occupancy.
    (The murphy bed addition doesn't seem to matter-it's still a no.)

13. DebbieB

DebbieB DIS Veteran

Fire Code and Disney Occupancy rules are two different things, people always bring fire code into these discussions. Fire code could allow more than what Disney allows. There's no law that says Disney has to offer rooms to the maximum, just not more than maximum. These are sprinklered buildings, value and moderates have outside entrances, so fire code is likely more. Disney's occupancy rules are typically 2 persons per bed.

14. maxiesmom

Fire code also has to do with how many people are expected to have to evacuate each building. So they need to figure out how many people that is between all their different room types. It could be that it works out that as they allow more people in other room types that they have to allow less in the king bedded rooms. Just to make the evacuation number.

15. RookieLady

RookieLady Mouseketeer

My point simply was to say that sometimes you get better information from a human being, not a computer. What my parents did was with full knowledge of Disney. We didn't steal anything. I have learned something about fire codes in this post, but my parents called and talked to a person and were able to make the situation work. No need to call me a thief.

16. snykymom

snykymom Still tagless after all these years

Same as the difference between a kid who'll be 18 in a week vs. a kid who turned 18 a week ago (one's a minor and one's an adult). Or a kid who'll be 10 in a week vs. a kid who turned 10 a week ago (one's a Disney junior and one's a Disney adult).

Lines must be drawn somewhere, and the age of 3 is where Disney has decided to draw it.

17. disnut8

disnut8 DIS Veteran

Yep.

If someone says "but my child just turned three two days ago!!!!!!" then what will stop someone else from saying "but my child just turned three a week ago!!!!!!!" and then another one saying "but my child just turned three 10 days ago!!!!!!!!!" and then the next one saying "but my child just turned three two weeks ago!!!!!!!"

Limits are limits are limits. I personally think it sucks to charge for more than two adults in a room. Adults are more than likely to be cleaner than kids but once you hit that magical age of 18, you will be charged. No difference here.

The OP could just simply get a double room and have one adult in one bed, the other adult in the second bed with the child.

18. lililoo12

lililoo12 Mouseketeer

Just say he's two and get your king room. Enough already

19. Deb & Bill

Deb & Bill DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

No, no, no. Don't lie.

The National Fire Protection Association has multiple codes for construction, occupancy, etc. for fire protection in multiple industries. The Life Safety Code, NFPA 101, is what is referenced most of the time for fire rules in hotel occupancies. NFPA is not free anywhere and you have to purchase a copy to read it or purchase a subscription to the NFPA Codes to get an electronic copy of it. I use it in my work nearly daily as a hospital engineer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.