New Runner

keahgirl8

DIS Veteran
Hello everyone! I have just started a C25K program with hopes of doing a Disney 5K. This comes after years of saying I couldn't or wouldn't ever run.

I noticed today that I get a little achy in my shoulder when I am running. Has anyone else experienced this, and do you have any advice?

I am FAR from a professional running person, but my GUESS would be that you arent relaxing and are just tensing those muscles. OR depending on your level of fitness or lack thereof (like me) you could just be using muscles you arent used to using.. Is it a sore muscle type of ache? or more a pain type of ache?

It's like a sore muscle. It doesn't hurt afterward, only while I'm running. Maybe it's bad form? I don't know. I have no idea what I'm doing! lol

I would invest in good shoes and make sure your head is up. I am still learning myself too. Oh and stretch.

Yes definately poor form and not relaxing.When I start up again after a long time off I have to keep reminding myself to keep my shoulders down.

Linda

Hey girl, I am a veteran runner (completed 4 half marathons) and I am THE WORST about this! I notice it more when I run on a treadmill than outside, so you might try changing up your runs. I definitely try to focus on relaxing my neck and shoulders, but sometimes it's hard. Sounds like you're doing great and you will LOVE a runDisney 5k - the Disney races are truly the best. :)

DS16 draws his shoulders up when he runs (he's a cross country and track runner). 2 things he needs to do is shake out his arms, that helps to relax the shoulders and drop his arms and the second is to lift his chin a little. When he tucks his chin it slows him up and makes his shoulders draw up.
Hopefully this can help you too.

Oh and I draw my shoulders up too, I shake my arms out every once in a while.

Sent from my iPhone using DISboards

Thanks everyone! I am working on it, trying to look up and relax. I only had the pain for a minute or so today, so I must be figuring it out! Your advice has really helped.

I have been running for 5 years now, and I used to get bad upper neck pains and shoulder pains like this. A friend suggested making small circles with my thumb and forefingers on each hand as I ran. I just kinda pinch them together and bounce them up and down in a circular pattern as I go. Within about 2 weeks of trying this, my pains were gone! Good luck, and keep up the good work!!

Snelldog said:
I have been running for 5 years now, and I used to get bad upper neck pains and shoulder pains like this. A friend suggested making small circles with my thumb and forefingers on each hand as I ran. I just kinda pinch them together and bounce them up and down in a circular pattern as I go. Within about 2 weeks of trying this, my pains were gone! Good luck, and keep up the good work!!

That's a great tip! I will try that if I need to in the future. Today, I had no pain! Hooray!

yea.. little LIGHT pressure circles or have heard pretend you are cupping / holding a butterfly or small bird...

Congratulations on starting, and good on you for doing this!

Warning running is addictive! I started with C25k several years ago. I will complete my first marathon this fall due to not being given the go ahead until now. I have completed half marathons, century rides, olympic triathlon, and Half Iron Distance Triathlon since that first 5k :).

Get your endorphins running!

dewingedpixie said:
Congratulations on starting, and good on you for doing this!

Warning running is addictive! I started with C25k several years ago. I will complete my first marathon this fall due to not being given the go ahead until now. I have completed half marathons, century rides, olympic triathlon, and Half Iron Distance Triathlon since that first 5k :).

Get your endorphins running!

At the beginning, I thought I would just do some 5Ks and that's it. Now I'm thinking about a half someday!

dewingedpixie said:
You should do it :). Half is a great distance, just enough of a challenge but not too much to overwhelm yourself.

My first 5K is in a couple of weeks, and I'm almost done with the Jeff Galloway program. It feels like it would be doable with the run/walk method!

My first 5K is in a couple of weeks, and I'm almost done with the Jeff Galloway program. It feels like it would be doable with the run/walk method!

Many people run walk 13.1 there is no shame in that. A mile is a mile be it 4 minutes or 15 its a mile.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter