New Question! Done DL, now what do I need to know about WDW from a DLer perspective?

I'm a WDW Vet - and I'd second the no breaks. The mid-day break at WDW is either shows, lunch or the park hop if you are doing one that day. The hours are so much shorter so you need to take advantage.

EMH helps, I love those that avoid them -they're missing out and keeping the lines short for me. You will walk on rides even at the most crowded times during EMH. I've notice the EMH park is more crowded later - we usually do that park in the morning and hop at lunch to another park. CM's at guest relations will have attendance numbers so if the parks are really crowded you can make an educated decision on where to go next.

Turkey legs are available at the cart in Liberty Square and America in the Epcot World Showcase!

Make sure to go on the Tommrowland Transit Authority.... Great relaxing ride, and see the Country Bears. Ahhh memories of old Disneyland.

I agree with the no breaks midday thing. Getting in and out of parks at WDW is very time consuming. When you have small children, midday breaks can be very valuable, but as the kids are bigger, they are just a time hog.

We have only used our EMH perk a few times at WDW (but we use them at DL). Mostly we just avoid those parks. If we were going at peak times we'd probably use them, but during non-peak, we'd rather sleep in a bit and have that energy to last us the day.

WE really liked the WDW meal plan. It is so much better DL's. You get one table service and one counter a day plus a snack.

We loved Coral Reef and Sci Fi. Nothing like the BB but a great experience. We also had lunch in Cindy's castle. The meal served was like the new menu at Ariels.

As for fried chicken, Tusker House is close (Counter service) and 50's Prime Time (table service) was good too. They also have yummy milkshakes!

We took extra long time I planning for WDW. So much to do and see. We did notice that several rides were the same but repackaged for each separate park. Of course several versions of duplicate rides are much better at DL (Pirates, IASW etc). But we still had a blast.

The character meals have much more variety at WDW. (Food and characters)
The restaurant that is most similar to Plaza Inn is the Crystal Palace but it is buffet character all day. And each of the Deluxe Hotels had there own character meal.

That is too funny! I know what you mean though about overindulging while you are in the parks.

While I am at home planning I spend a lot of time imagining all the great food and treats we will have. Trouble is when you are actually at the park there is no way you can find enough hours in a day to eat everything that sounds yummy. Last year I brought jelly beans, fudge, a caramel apple and a white chocolate covered apple back to our room thinking I would snack on them in the evenings. At the end of our trip, as we were packing up to go home, I ended up throwing everything away except the jellybeans. :scared1: Even when we were in the park the rest of my bunch would grab a snack between meals but I was still too stuffed from each meal.

I have read many claims that WDW has better food than DL. I agree that they do have a lot more choices but so far nothing has really wowed me a lot more than the choices at DL. As a matter of fact, I am going to miss a few of our favorites. Anybody else ever felt that way? :(

KrazyKat4DIS, feel free to gather any information here that will help you as well! At least you have one trip already on your belt. This is all a complete shock to my system! So, when is your trip?

Oh yeah! toni1227 I forgot to say that I bet you had a blast working in WDW way back when. I don't imagine the pay in all that great but I would still love to work there even now.

In regards to the food between the two parks... DL looses. Epcot and AK have great restaurants... I'd and I did make your ADR's at the EPCOT pavilions...

Hi there,

Since this thread is about WDW planning, I'm going to go ahead & move it over there.

mj

Moving the thread kind of defeats the purpose. The purpose was to talk to the Disneyland fans. You won't find many of those in the WDW area. And the WDW threads move so fast this one will be lost in no time.

Im just curious if there is a reason you aren'y staying on Disney property at one of their hotels? You could cut out the cost of renting a car and let Disney do all the driving. You can use a service called Magical Express where Disney picks you up from Orlando Airport and takes you right to your hotel. Then they have buses that run from the resorts to the parks every 20 minutes or so. You would also be able to use the Extra Magic Hours benefit so your family can go to the parks before everyone else or stay at them 3 hours after they close. Don't underestimate WDW. Its MASSIVE! Remember that DL fits in the Magic Kingdoms parking lot. I guess Im just suggesting that since your a first timer, its probably easier to just let Disney move you around on their property. Also, there is just something about staying on property. Its so nice to not have to leave Disney property and drive past a Wal-Mart or some shopping center. In my opinion, it takes you out of the magic. WDW is twice the size of manhattan and there is only one business on the whole property and that is one heavily themed McDonalds which you won't even see unless you go to Blizzard Beach. Ok, im done trying to convince you. :) If you have any questions though, just ask or PM me.

I have to agree with the last poster, DJ. I am a lifelong DLer who went to WDW a couple of months ago for the first time. It is nothing like DL because it is soooo much bigger. I loved it and of course I still love DL.

I know you said you put a deposit on that house but if there's anyway to reclaim all of most of it, staying on site will save you so much in time and travel. And I agree about the magic of not having to drive past a Walmart. The day we went to AK, I was surprised at how far away it was (we took a cab).

They were doing specials (like pay for x days but get 7), so people often get good deals. There is so much for kids to do at these resorts - there might be a beach or movies at night, camp type games. We stayed at Beach Resort and loved being able to walk into Epcot.

Okay, that issue aside, I used Tour Guide Mike as well. Well worth the money (got a disboard discount). I think he recommends that mid-day rest because he's assuming you are not staying in some rented house somewhere, but that you're just going back to BC or some Disney resort.

We only had three days so I had to do it like this: 1 day Epcot, 1 day AK, 1 day DHS and MK. Of course we could have spent more time there, so much to do, but that was all the time we had. I hope you have more time. I purposely put MK last and for only a half day. I wanted to see it and to ride Haunted Mansion and Pirates to compare them to the DL version.

I also had a Passporter book and read a lot of posts here. In order to lock in your ADRs, you have to play out your days - which park, when. So it's sort of like planning the whole trip. It is major work because you have to be sure you hit the right night for the right fireworks.

We love BB and Napa Rose. There is no version of BB, so don't look for it. But Coral Reef was fabulous (get an ADR for lunch, at opening and then show up 20 min early - this is the best way to ensure you have a table RIGHT by the tank).

We ate burgers (as advised) at Sci Fi and they were actually fine. (I was prepared for the worst but pleasantly surprised). I did not like that they seated us in the third row of a family car when we were there at opening and there were plenty of other cars. But I didn't ask to change -- I'm sure they would have offered us another seat if we'd asked. Just don't assume they will give you the best table available - they won't unless you ask.

Tusker House was booked only because you got priority seating at the new Nemo musical - we enjoyed the meal and the show was great. I highly recommend this.

We thought AK was really interesting - loved the bat exhibit on one of those walks. The kids will probably love this.

You're going to have a great time!

The main difference between DL (we live 45 minutes away and are annual passholders) and WDW (grew up going there) is IMMERSION. I know that the DL-way is to avoid staying onsite because its expensive and unnecessary with all those motels lining Harbor etc etc. blah blah blah. But honestly, woman, get a grip, :lmao: and book a WDW resort for AT LEAST part of your trip. The whole point is to arrive and leave everything to the Mouse. Leave the DL (little is good too) mentality at home. Its a very different experience.

WDW is HUGE. Its DL on steriods with alligators. Its a Nation-State with UN representation. Its a city. Its got its own currency: KTTW. Its about EMHs. And ADRs made 90 days ahead when you don't even know what you are doing and where you are going. Its about trying to figure out how many hours you can cut from MK to spend in AK and still make dinner at Epcot.

And its way more fun because its a complete vacation into itself.

*This message has been endorsed by me only.

Marie, you got moved to a totally different section of the board! It is easy to find people over on the DLR side of things because that is smaller, but I feel like threads disappear quickly in the other areas of the board!

Anyway, as I was saying to you in my TR last week, I am very happy for you that you guys get to go to WDW - even though it was not what you were expecting to be doing this year. You all seem like truly lovely people, and I have a feeling that you richly deserve all the great trips and outings you can muster. I know you were not even sure if you would make it back to DLR in 2009, let alone WDW! So this is like a 180-degree difference in the level of planning involved! Your DLR Trip Report was so great, but DLR is a place you are familiar with and comfortable with, so the TR was probably slightly easier to do. I can't wait to see the WDW TR when that happens. It is all uncharted territory for you, and there will be SO much to take in - just the fact that you are going during the holidays adds a whole other dimension to the level of activities you guys have to plan for. You have to see the special holiday things and the different hotels around WDW with their holiday displays. You have to eat at many of the great restaurants we all keep hearing about. Seeing the holiday decorations in Epcot alone will be magical. And the safari in Animal Kingdom - so exciting! So you may not know where to begin in a TR!! That TR will be one MEGA Trip Report (you will have to let us know where to find it, as it will be somewhere on the WDW side of things! But it is SO exciting that you guys are going.

And does this mean that you have to break your own rule of no one other than family coming to the parks with you on this trip, or will you be able to steal your family away from your son's friends and not have to bring them all to WDW with you?

I admire you for taking on the WDW planning full force and diving into it, and I am sure your son is thrilled. I am still struggling with whether or not to go to DLR on my birthday and then how to coordinate plans for when my friends come out here in October! I can't imagine having to plan for WDW.

Well, when you become friends with everyone over on the WDW side of the DIS, don't forget us little folk in our tiny little, inconspicuous DLR section of the board - we can say we 'knew you when.':lmao::lmao:

Moving the thread kind of defeats the purpose. The purpose was to talk to the Disneyland fans. You won't find many of those in the WDW area. And the WDW threads move so fast this one will be lost in no time.

I was thinking that too. She wants the DL Vet take on it. One handy resource for that of course is Hydroguy's Intro to WDW for DL Vets.

Maybe move this thread back to the DL boards? Otherwise we'll be talking religion here pretty soon. ;)

Well, brenda1966's and jlmarr thanks for understanding my reasoning but it looks like we have been moved anyway. Do I sense a sudden change in the air? Oh well, I will take information any way I can get it! So, moving right along....
My kids are certainly old enough now to skip the mid day breaks which will save us time from traveling in the car. No doubt my bunch, like you, would prefer to sleep in a bit rather than get up early for EMH.

toni1227 I really enjoyed hearing about your experience of working in the park. Feel free to share with me anytime! I'm pretty sure most folks around here don't mind listening when your "unDisney" friends lose interest. That is so funny about Mickey actually being a girl. I guess I had never given it much thought but you can bet I will be looking at Mickey in a totally different light from now on! :lmao: WOW! 150! That's a lot of Mickeys!

TinkSassy, I think most of us will do just fine without a break. DH may balk a bit but we will just drag him on with us! I do realize the benefit of using EMHs. They just wouldn't work for us. We probably won't get to the park at opening and we probably won't stay til close except on a rare occassion when the park is not open too late or we stay for fireworks. You are right though, just a few less to help you enjoy your EMH time! Thanks on the turkey leg tip. DS will be very happy!

Lakewood, very good suggestions for some rest time. We have never gotten to see the Country Bears so that will be a nice treat. I will have to make a point of taking in some of the other shows in place of a mid day break. Which reminds me.... we have been know to go catch a movie at the theater midday. Is there a theater in Downtown Disney?
We will absolutley be checking out The Land. Soarin is one of my favorite rides at CA so I will be looking forward to seeing it. I certainly look forward to trying different foods. The picky kids I have may not. I guess we can find DS a giant turkey leg and DD some macaroni and cheese and smuggle it into some of the establishments with more variety for DH and I! You think they might frown on that? ;)

Oh look! It's a familiar face! Hi ballarinamom! I am planning on going to both Coral Reef, 50's Prime Timeand Sci Fi. Glad to hear another good recommendation. Still deciding on Tusker House. And I have almost convinced myself to skip a meal in the castle. DD is just not that into princesses and I am pretty sure the guys would not enjoy it that much. I'm thinking I would rather book one of the Fireworks cruises in place of that meal. (Anyone done that?) Thanks for your other ideas. I know we are gonna have a blast!

DisneyMomma81, I hope you are able to pick up some info for your trip too! Free dining... hard to beat that!

DJ Disney Kid, I really appreciate your attempt at trying to change my mind about staying onsite. You have some really great arguments! Don't take it personally.... but I'm still not convinced. Here are a few personal reasons why we are opting to stay offsite.
(1) Cost. My DH snores like a bear. We would have to stay in 2 rooms or a suite which is just too expensive. We got a good deal on car rental, airfare and the house. All combined they cost less than what it would cost us just to stay onsite.
(2) Value. We feel like we will be getting more bang for our buck staying in a 4 bedroom house with our own private pool.
(3) Space. There is the possibility that my DS will have some friends coming over to stay with us a few nights. By staying in a house we will have more than enough room.
(4) Preference. We get our big thrills from being in the park. We don't really put much stock into the total immersion thing. We like a place to sleep and shower and much prefer privacy to whether or not our surroundings has Disney decor.
(5) Transportation. My guys are not very patient. I just don't see them really enjoying the free Disney transportation. When we are ready to go, we're ready to go. Why wait around for the next shuttle when we can use our own car? We live in a rural area where everything is at least 20 minutes away so a little driving time is nothing new to us.
(6) As previously mentioned, EMH won't really work well for us. We are a rather laid back bunch. Hopefully with 10 days we can get in enough of the park to satisfy us, even if we don't see it all.

CaliforniaDreamer If I were to even think about getting our deposit back on the house I am pretty sure I would have a mutiny on my hands! I don't mind seeing Walmart on the way back to the house because there will probably be something we have forgotten and will need. Also, we always get take out for supper so I am actually looking forward to driving past some different restaurants so we don't end up ordering in pizza every night! So you see, it's just a matter of perspective. I know our bunch doesn't seem to be in the majority but I am reasonably sure staying off property is going to work best for us.
I played around some today on Tour Guide Mike. Man! There is a lot of stuff on there! I can't wait until the December calendar information is up so I can do some real planning! Thanks for the Coral Reef tip. I feel pretty sure it will be one of our favorites. I am very sure my DD is going to love AK. She is an animal nut!

WELL! I never! :lmao: This has got to be the first time I have been told to get a grip!:lmao: CoolPool I will make sure you are the first to know if I change my mind about staying onsite. I assure you that even if we stay in a house I will leave the real world behind! I love your descriptions! You gave me a good laugh. I am positive I will muddle through and we will have a fantastic time... even if I don't know what I am doing!

Hi SHERRY, my number one fan! You found me! I wasn't sure I was gonna find me again! I apologize for not making it back over to tell you that we are indeed heading to WDW THIS year. I have been so immersed in my fact finding mission when I have a few spare moments that I haven't been getting much else done went I get the chance on the computer.
Oh yes, this WDW planning is so much different! I am determined to conquer the beast though! I can only imagine how long the trip report for this one will take!
Yes, I know... it looks like I will be breaking my own rule! You would have to remind me! Good gosh let's pray that our guest doesn't turn out like last time! This one is already showing much more enthusiasm than the other one. Plus she will not have to be with us the entire trip since she lives close to WDW.
You be sure to keep me posted on how your plans come along. You deserve a nice trip to the park. And don't forget about me over there! I'll be back!!!!

jlmarr, I actually did read Hydroguy's Intro to WDW for DL Vets. It is definitely a great source of information!

The main difference between DL (we live 45 minutes away and are annual passholders) and WDW (grew up going there) is IMMERSION. I know that the DL-way is to avoid staying onsite because its expensive and unnecessary with all those motels lining Harbor etc etc. blah blah blah. But honestly, woman, get a grip, :lmao: and book a WDW resort for AT LEAST part of your trip. The whole point is to arrive and leave everything to the Mouse. Leave the DL (little is good too) mentality at home. Its a very different experience.

WDW is HUGE. Its DL on steriods with alligators. Its a Nation-State with UN representation. Its a city. Its got its own currency: KTTW. Its about EMHs. And ADRs made 90 days ahead when you don't even know what you are doing and where you are going. Its about trying to figure out how many hours you can cut from MK to spend in AK and still make dinner at Epcot.

And its way more fun because its a complete vacation into itself.

*This message has been endorsed by me only.

No, I'm endorsing it too! :thumbsup2 You are a hoot, my hero, Coolpool! and you are also 100% right. OP is not getting it. She is still looking at it like a DL vacay, with driving driving driving.

she said:
"DJ Disney Kid, I really appreciate your attempt at trying to change my mind about staying onsite. You have some really great arguments! Don't take it personally.... but I'm still not convinced. Here are a few personal reasons why we are opting to stay offsite.
(1) Cost. My DH snores like a bear. We would have to stay in 2 rooms or a suite which is just too expensive. We got a good deal on car rental, airfare and the house. All combined they cost less than what it would cost us just to stay onsite."

MARIE....this must be a first. Reason why we're staying offsite (and how far away is this house? What about holiday traffic?) -- SNORING! :lmao: There are other fixes for this. White noise machine. Breathright nose strips. Earplugs ;)

How is it that you got a deal on air/car and the house? Somehow your good air/car deal is dependent on you staying at this house?

(2) Value. We feel like we will be getting more bang for our buck staying in a 4 bedroom house with our own private pool.

You could have that house anywhere. The way I look at it, if you have passes, any time not spent at WDW is money lost... but then, I really like the parks.

(3) Space. There is the possibility that my DS will have some friends coming over to stay with us a few nights. By staying in a house we will have more than enough room.

It's a "possibility," though.

(4) Preference. We get our big thrills from being in the park. We don't really put much stock into the total immersion thing. We like a place to sleep and shower and much prefer privacy to whether or not our surroundings has Disney decor.

I understand privacy and I get that you don't need to have Mickey towels. It isn't so much about that as it is about what they say in real estate: location, location, location.

(5) Transportation. My guys are not very patient. I just don't see them really enjoying the free Disney transportation. When we are ready to go, we're ready to go. Why wait around for the next shuttle when we can use our own car? We live in a rural area where everything is at least 20 minutes away so a little driving time is nothing new to us.

But that's why a vacation is when you get to do something different, like not drive every day. We loved not having to drive at all for four days. You have a point about waiting for a bus so obviously AKL is not for you, but if you're staying where you can walk to the park, that can be really good for impatient people.

(6) As previously mentioned, EMH won't really work well for us. We are a rather laid back bunch. Hopefully with 10 days we can get in enough of the park to satisfy us, even if we don't see it all.

What about the late magic hours, those can be great for laid back people. And "late" doesn't always mean as late as you think, esp for AK. Yes, 10 days is a good amount of time, and if you couldn't get any deal on the WDW resorts.... I'm just getting the feeling that this house... how did you find this house?

We are just trying to help you, those of us who have been to both Dl and WDW, because we'd like you to have a great experience. You seem so locked into this house rental concept though, I don't think anything we can say will change your mind (except maybe that gators sometimes end up in swimming pools - :rotfl:). I have rented houses in other cities and enjoyed it, so it's not like we don't understand where you're coming from. But this is so different - WDW - I don't think I've stayed anywhere quite like it.

That is a good Mom. You are doing this to satisfy your son.. I think you are wonderful. WDW is a great place. You would find out that there is no short of enjoyment.. Fun and entertainment Guaranteed..

Okay, first, telling you all I know about WDW would fill volumes. Probably an encyclopedia, but the DIS is a great source.

Second WDW is four parks, not two. Four parks, plus two water parks, and DTD. You'll love it. See what you can comfortably see, and have fun.

Early December is fairly low crowds, but also could be cool weather. Pack accordingly.

Next trip maybe you'll stay onsite, but this trip...Do try and visit a few of the resorts.

AS for having two rooms - Disney has onsite options that include two rooms. The All-Star suites option is one in the lesser priced category. There are also a number of DVC resorts which have mutiple rooms and full kitchens. Plus, you get something like giraffes outside your window.

If you do stay onsite or off, this is a great year for discounts. What you did choose - I hope you didn't pay full price. There are LOTS of bargain ideas out there this year, esp. offsite. Beyond that, I personlly think it is way too early to get eh best deal on airfare, but I typically fly SWA, or at least outof an airport that has SWA - so the other airlines lower prices to compete when they release their fares.

None ofthe dining at WDW is truly exotic.

Every dining choice will have it's fans and detractors on the DIS, so take any reviews with a grain of salt.

Getting a meal at the castle is not an easy thing to do. I'm betting with the new 90 day rules, its going to be even more challenging. You may well not get it even if you tried. But with boys, it probably isn't your first choice.

I've not done the fireworks meal. Too many other choices.

Ah...you haven't been to WDW yet....You don't know about driving around WDW. Taking buses in WDW isn't like taking buses in the real world. Everyone on the WDW bus is on vacation, and the drivers are often part of the fun! Some folks prefer a combo of driving and buses, and some diehards do prefer offsite....but you'll learn after you see WDW. Maybe you'll remain a diehard offsiter too. Your house may be a bit of a drive to WDW - and then there is morning rush hour traffic in the Orlando area. Orlando is a pretty good sized city. You'll have fun dealing with that. Then you'll have to deal with parking (huge lots), pay for parking each day, and also the extra time that it may take to get from your car to the park. (Esp. MK) Oh, and someone has to be the designated driver (no cocktails). At CR, a really cool monorail whisks you directly to MK - or you can just walk over. The wait times are like typically under two minutes, you are at the park entrance in about five. Nobody hs to navigate confusing roads, no traffic, everyone can come and go as they please...Offsite - those teen boys you mention will either need their own transport - or they will have to come and go on your schedule. You mention the boys aren't patient - in many ways, they will have to be more patient with offsite then onsite transport.

Also, I'm not trying to knock your choices. You're doing what you think is best at this point. It's hard to know what WDW is like until you've been there. Hopefully, like everyone else - after you go once - you'll want to go back. On the flip, if you want suggestions, but come back saying you've already decided what you want, it's a bit confusing to know how to help. It sounds like maybe you are mostly just asking us to support your choices. DISers aren't great at that.

regarding driving... Even when I stay onsite, if my Florida friend is there, we drive in her car. The parking is free because we're staying onsite and it's faster to get in and out of every park except MK where it does take longer and the buses are faster.

The main reason I stay onsite is for the bus service to and from the airport and to the parks (when said friend is not there). The price of accomodations is quite prohibitive overall so it's a trade off of some sort. A lot of people go and stay offsite and have a great time.

ANd having been in a room with a loud snorer -- it just isn't as simple as ear plugs. Sleeping with ear plugs for 10 days is not a vacation! :)

When it comes to food there is no comparison between Disneyland and WDW!! The latter has scores of very nice sit down restaurants scattered in the parks and the numerous resorts. Too many to choose from!

San Angel consistantly is a love it or hate it place. We've gone every year and had some of the best food on our trip every time. It's not GringoMex (Americanized Mexican), not much in the way of tacos, burritos and chimichangas. Instead its more typical of what you'd find in central Mexico. That throws some people off who want a typical Chimichanga. We get the steak made in an excellent Mexican way. The ride at this restaurant is fun as well.

In the fall at WDW is free dining. This year its from August 16th to Oct. 3rd. Just book a room on property and tickets and dining is free. This includes a couple snack items, 1 counter service full meal and 1 sit down meal at a nice restaurant.

Biggest difference over Disneyland to me is the number of hotels and restaurants all on WDW property. That and riding the buses, boats and monorail to get from parks to hotels, restaurants etc. You won't need a car. Ride the Disney bus from the airport to your hotel and back.

I'm no expert on WDW but have been there 4 times (10 day visits each time) and pretty much seen and done everything and love it. Still, Disneyland is my home park and holds many things I prefer. I go to Disneyland for short weekend trips several times a year and go to WDW once a year for a long vacation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter