New Postage Regulations Between US and Canada? What Gives??

mtblujeans

DIS Veteran
I live in Montana near Glacier Park, below Waterton Park. I have been trying to send a Christmas card to a Canadian DISer since November. The card was an anonymous exchange and I sent it with no return address information. I was told at the local post office that new regulations would not allow for mail to go through in Canada without a full return address but I mailed it anyway.

Sure enough, it did not go through. When more than a month went by and my card did not arrive, I sent another card from Great Falls. That was two weeks ago and I have not heard if it got through or not yet.

In speaking to a postal worker regarding the new regulations, I am told that all mail to Canada must now have a return address on the envelope of first and last name, full address, town/city, state, and zip code, with the country listed in capital letters. The address the mail is going to must list the same: first AND last name, full address, town or city, and country (Canada) in capital letters.

Has anyone in Canada had any problems with new mail regulations or noticed any change in regulations at all??

Thanks! :wave:

I work sometimes in the PO at our store. These came about in November, it is a regulation between Canada and the US right now, I believe that it will expand to other countries in the future. The idea is for customs to know who is sending each piece of mail and who it is intend for. It is another result of 911.

Penny

The local postal workers received notice of the regulation in November and that is when I mailed my card. However, I am hearing about other people in the card exchange sending cards from other countries to Canada and their cards were delivered without return address but mine was not. I wondered what the situation was.....

I know domestic mail goes through without return addresses. I haven't noticed any changes, but I don't normally send snail mail to the US.

Kungaloosh!
Morticia.

I remember hearing about the change last year. I think it was announced late last year (Oct or Nov maybe) but I can't seem to find a press release about it. I also remember that Canada Post wanted letters addressed to a person and not just "grandma" because those letters or packages would be returned as well.

Well, I did put a full return address on all of our Xmas cards to relatives and University friends, ut not sure if I put our names. I am sure I did not put USA in the return address. I hope they all got thru, and since I haven't gotten any back yet, I'll assume they have. I guess I'll be more careful next year.

I was informed that the UK postal service also requires a return address or they do not deliver the letter/parcel. I think it has something to do with anti-terrorism

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter