New pool heat policy? ***update see post 549 ****

And to add to Chuck's post, mentioning that "you read about this online may also help" route your message to the 'Internet kook' bin....

Also, has there been any 'on the record' comments about this new policy, or is this just 'a CM told me'?

smsnorthup said:
We were just there a week ago and the main pool was freezing...nobody swimming in it. Even kids that braved it were only in for a minute then ran to the hot tub which was where everyone else was. We're headed home for the first time to SSR in April and will not be very upset if the pool is cold :furious:

The only time we were at SSR was in December 2004, and I thought the pool was freezing then. Can't imagine it any colder!

It's pointless and a huge waste of money in maintainence to have nice pools if no one is going to swim in them because it's too cold. Duh! Why do they think people come to Florida in the winter? And like a previous poster said....it's just a huge waste of money to have life guards standing around with no one in the pool.

The rocket scientist who thought of this "cost saving" measure should be taken out and shot....or better yet, forced to swim in one of the pools in January!

Before we all run off the "deep end", so to speak, I would second the notion from a few posts above about getting an official response. Do we even know if that is an official Disney policy or if we are just acting via group-think?

We were at SSR in January and the two pools we went to (main pool and Paddocks quiet) were very warm to us.

Just checking to see if there is any "official" word or it it is just the "CM told me" variety.

CarnotaurDad said:
Before we all run off the "deep end", so to speak, I would second the notion from a few posts above about getting an official response. Do we even know if that is an official Disney policy or if we are just acting via group-think?

We were at SSR in January and the two pools we went to (main pool and Paddocks quiet) were very warm to us.

Just checking to see if there is any "official" word or it it is just the "CM told me" variety.

Well, what's the fun if we can't leap to conclusions with little fact? Isn't that what message boards are for?

Anyway, I look forward to Disney's response. The folks here who've been in the pools the last few weeks have a lot of stories to tell about cold pools. It couldn't be everyone's imagination.

If this was way off base, and I have written, and called, with my phone number, don't you think they would have gotten back to us saying something like....

Oh, no worry.... it's all a misunderstanding.

I think the deafening silence speaks for itself.

But if you think this is rumor, please do your own investigating by calling and / or writing DVC management or WDW management....

JMHO, Goldi

I agree Goldi, Last week I had an issue with MS (not pertaining to these boards) and I emailed them. I received a response the next day.

So far I have heard nothing regarding this pool heat issue.

I think they are trying to come up with a canned response that they can send to all of us.

Who wants to bet we all receive the same response?

I guess it might be a glass half full, glass half empty thing. We also haven't seen anything from Disney saying "yep, we have decided to lower the temperature". Until then, I'll assume they haven't.

Could I be wrong? Sure could. I'm just not jumping to an e-mail / phone call until I hear something official.

Just me.

goldilocks_63 said:
If this was way off base, and I have written, and called, with my phone number, don't you think they would have gotten back to us saying something like....

Oh, no worry.... it's all a misunderstanding.

I think the deafening silence speaks for itself.

But if you think this is rumor, please do your own investigating by calling and / or writing DVC management or WDW management....

JMHO, Goldi

Hmmm. No response, so it must be true. :rolleyes: Along the same lines:

I agree Goldi, Last week I had an issue with MS (not pertaining to these boards) and I emailed them. I received a response the next day.

So far I have heard nothing regarding this pool heat issue.

I think they are trying to come up with a canned response that they can send to all of us.

Who wants to bet we all receive the same response?

A matter with MS is quite different. This pool temp issue will undoubtedly go through several layers of management to determine if the temps were actually adjusted. Then they will research why they were adjusted (if they were), before giving any sort of response. Will you get the same responses? Probably, you've asked the same questions...how many answers can there be? Don't you think they should adequately look into the matter before they give the quick and easy response?

Chuck, I think you are right that they will look into this before they give us a response.

Do you have any idea how long this might take? I don't have any experience to draw upon.....

Goldi

CarnotaurDad said:

well actually I heard from a reliable source, not a lifeguard, or CM at the Front Desk, and I was told there has been no change in policy only a change in the weather lately in Florida which has been cooler.

Several people have posted they did not find the water cooler so possibly they went on warmer days.

I was told the water is set at a temperature to Red Cross standards and has always been this way.

As to the lifeguard comments my friend, said well we do have some younger CMs that have a warped sense of humor sometimes. ;)

Please do not shoot the messenger just relaying what I was told. Just remember I, along with a few others were right about the DVC billboard and my source was the same.

boatboatboat said:
we only stay at dvc when it's warm outside, so they don't heat the pools.

can i get lower dues?

Good Thinkin' :thumbsup2

They should throw some ice cubes in the pool during the summer, the water doesn't cool you off. :scared:

You know whose fault it is, right?

That's right.

Maleficent.

OH MALEFICENT, WHY DO YOU TAUNT US SO?! BRRRRNOOOOOO!!!BRRRR!

:teeth:

Hmm... I got an idea :idea: for a new business - wetsuit rentals! We can set up at MCO. Maybe I can get vascubaguy to be my partner??

Sammie said:
well actually I heard from a reliable source, not a lifeguard, or CM at the Front Desk, and I was told there has been no change in policy only a change in the weather lately in Florida which has been cooler.
I live in Clearwater Florida. My sister lives in Orlando.
Its been very warm this year. We've only had 3 weeks of cold weather all year.

I froze at the BC 1/21/06 last day of my HoneyMoon. Not a big deal, I had a PERFECT DISENY TRIP... and had brought my light wetsuit to keep from getting too much sun (Florida people worry about skin cancer). Still the pool was teeth chattering cold. (air temps all week long in the 70's)

48 hours later, I was home and sick for the next 3 weeks. THANKS DISNEY
(maybe it was the cold pool, maybe it was all the kids with colds...but the cold swim didn't help)

Red Cross likes 78 to 82 degrees. Also 4 degrees above 78 could use as much as 40% more energy.

manning said:
Red Cross likes 78 to 82 degrees. Also 4 degrees above 78 could use as much as 40% more energy.

I like cold water when swimming laps. I actually sweat when doing a full speed work-out

But the big pool at the BC is not a lap pool. Not a straight line to be found :teeth:

People don't like to relax in cold water durring Nov, Dec, Jan, Feb, March even in mild Florida

The e-mails to WDW and DVC needn't be acusatory. When I sent mine, I said somthing to the effect that I had heard rumers that the pool temperatures were being lowered, and I was hoping they weren't true, but if they were, please rethink this issue because we love the warm water kind of thing. You can still be heard without shouting.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter