New Park???

If they include thrill rides in a new park, I hope they will also include rides for older people that are tame. I avoid anything that looks like a coaster, and I cannot do moving walkways.

I would love to see things without moving walkways more than anything else. It is not funny when you are made to feel like an idiot because your balance is bad. A CM told us that they COULD stop the belt in the Nemo ride. When we got to the front, they slowed it down - but could not stop it. There is a big difference when a walkway is solidly stopped, and when it is still moving.

The CM made me feel stupid as she "poked fun at me" when we had to leave. She kept taunting that it was the same as stopped. I had just had brain stem & spinal cord surgery. Almost stopped is NOT the same. A section of rides without physical blockades would be great! (The wheelchair car was not in service that day, so there was no alternative.)

MorganR said:
I guess "Jerk" wasn't the right word....I ment it as "sertant" people were being a little TOO sarcastic.....

I certainly didn't mean to come across as one.

I will say I don't think Disney will ever build another park in Florida. There is nothing to be gained financially from it.

I certainly didn't mean to come across as one.

I will say I don't think Disney will ever build another park in Florida. There is nothing to be gained financially from it.

While I don't think Disney will build a new park in Florida for years there is financial gain to be had. If Disney was to build a park made of mostly thrill rides with there Disney Characters and the Marvel Characters(if they can ever get the right back from Universal) they would appeal more to families with boys/teenagers and young adults that don't have children. Just because some people love Disney the way it is doesn't mean everyone does and it doesn't mean that people that love disney wouldn't love a thrill ride Disney park. A lot of people see Disney Parks and thing they are more for families with young children.

While I don't think Disney will build a new park in Florida for years there is financial gain to be had. If Disney was to build a park made of mostly thrill rides with there Disney Characters and the Marvel Characters(if they can ever get the right back from Universal) they would appeal more to families with boys/teenagers and young adults that don't have children. Just because some people love Disney the way it is doesn't mean everyone does and it doesn't mean that people that love disney wouldn't love a thrill ride Disney park. A lot of people see Disney Parks and thing they are more for families with young children.

The average family takes 1 week vacation. The 4 parks and 2 water parks eat up that week. A new park will not bring a significant number of people to Florida. It will just redistibute the people there. It is not and likely will never be financially smart to build a 5th park

There is a lot more gain in adding to the newer parks DHS and DAK to increase local/single day people and have more time spent there for shopping and eating

They can get the right's back at any time they want. They just don't want too. It's easy money for them.

Past that the 5th park is not financially feasible for AT LEAST 25 years. As many have pointed out already building another park in Florida will only re-distribute profits not increase them.

They can get the right's back at any time they want. They just don't want too. It's easy money for them.

Past that the 5th park is not financially feasible for AT LEAST 25 years. As many have pointed out already building another park in Florida will only re-distribute profits not increase them.

No they can't get back the rights anytime they want to Universal has a contract for Marvel. Unless Universal decides to re-theme those rides because it doesn't want to give Disney money or Disney makes a large offer to buy out the contract with Universal there will be no change. As long as Universal keeps up there end of the contract Disney can't use the Marvel characters.

The average family takes 1 week vacation. The 4 parks and 2 water parks eat up that week. A new park will not bring a significant number of people to Florida. It will just redistibute the people there. It is not and likely will never be financially smart to build a 5th park

There is a lot more gain in adding to the newer parks DHS and DAK to increase local/single day people and have more time spent there for shopping and eating

Wrong I guess you didn't read the point I made that Disney doesn't appeal to all families with boys/teenagers or young adults. Just because you or I like the rides Disney has now it doesn't mean everyone does. Also yes there are four parks and two water parks. The water parks are not both open year round and it does get cold in Florida. Also if I had to put a number on how many families go to the water parks that go to Disney I would put it around 30%. Yes there are four parks but do they reach capacity during certain times of the year? Yes they do. Like I said I don't see it happening soon but I can see it happening. Also the number of people that go to Disney has gone up over the years. Far less people went in the 80's then more in the 90's and its still growing.

Will they expand other parks for now? Yes, why wouldn't they but when they can try to appeal to more people they will eventually do it. Its like any other business, take ice cream is there 1 flavor? No, they have many so they appeal to more people so they can make more money and they keep adding new flavors so there is a new product to get people to keep buying.

So with the fact that Disney doesn't appeal to everyone(boys/teenagers/young adults), Parks reach capacity now, more and more people go to WDW, people want new things when they are on vacation there is a chance Disney will add another park in the future.

Also your statement about the average American family take 1 week vacation doesn't fit in this scenario since WDW is a place people take vacations to more then once, they need to add things so people will want to come back year after year. We're taking a 4 year break after going 15 times in 18 years, the more they have the less chance you'll be burnt out on Disney.

No they can't get back the rights anytime they want to Universal has a contract for Marvel. Unless Universal decides to re-theme those rides because it doesn't want to give Disney money or Disney makes a large offer to buy out the contract with Universal there will be no change. As long as Universal keeps up there end of the contract Disney can't use the Marvel characters.

...You just said that they can buy the contracts...

If they can buy the contracts than they can get them back any time they want. Thank you for proving my point. Also that's only east of the Mississippi they can't use the characters.

Wrong I guess you didn't read the point I made that Disney doesn't appeal to all families with boys/teenagers or young adults. Just because you or I like the rides Disney has now it doesn't mean everyone does. Also yes there are four parks and two water parks. The water parks are not both open year round and it does get cold in Florida. Also if I had to put a number on how many families go to the water parks that go to Disney I would put it around 30%. Yes there are four parks but do they reach capacity during certain times of the year? Yes they do. Like I said I don't see it happening soon but I can see it happening. Also the number of people that go to Disney has gone up over the years. Far less people went in the 80's then more in the 90's and its still growing.

Will they expand other parks for now? Yes, why wouldn't they but when they can try to appeal to more people they will eventually do it. Its like any other business, take ice cream is there 1 flavor? No, they have many so they appeal to more people so they can make more money and they keep adding new flavors so there is a new product to get people to keep buying.

So with the fact that Disney doesn't appeal to everyone(boys/teenagers/young adults), Parks reach capacity now, more and more people go to WDW, people want new things when they are on vacation there is a chance Disney will add another park in the future.

Also your statement about the average American family take 1 week vacation doesn't fit in this scenario since WDW is a place people take vacations to more then once, they need to add things so people will want to come back year after year. We're taking a 4 year break after going 15 times in 18 years, the more they have the less chance you'll be burnt out on Disney.

Again that's not completely true. I'm part of many theme park boards where the majority of members are between the ages of 15-25. They GUSH over Disney. It will re-distribute the people and not add enough additional income to make it worthwhile. Not to mention Disney is struggling to maintain the current parks at WDW

The drawing board plans for a 5th Disney has been in the works for years and will happen, especailly as they are continuing to biuld more and more on site resorts and the present 4 parks are basicly crowded all year now!

They have reports of highly secret plans on the drawing boards..........lots of possible ideas, but like reported here to ecomony has slowly this down.

I would not expect any serious annoucments for a few years.

I do beleive you will never see a all thirll ride park as they don't drive enough attendance, and appeal to a narrow geographic. However your theme out will be a mix to attract family, younger and older and adualts.

AKK

I agree that disney needs another park. I am a local and many of my friends love disney but don't go because it is too crowded. Just look at the places to eat, almost impossible to get reservations at many of the places in the parks. I have noticed the slow times aren't really slow anymore. Just my opinion. I realize the economy is down right now, but one day it will pick up.

TowMater92 said:

The average Disney vacationer is there for one week and goes once every 5 years or so.

We are the vast minority. And frankly Disney doesn't really care about us on these issues. They know we are going anyway

Disney learned a lesson with DAK. It did not bring in a mess of new vacationers. It just redistributed them.

If you think Disney is going to build a new park because of the 2% of visitors come so often they need something new then u r wrong

The average Disney vacationer is there for one week and goes once every 5 years or so.

We are the vast minority. And frankly Disney doesn't really care about us on these issues. They know we are going anyway

Disney learned a lesson with DAK. It did not bring in a mess of new vacationers. It just redistributed them.

If you think Disney is going to build a new park because of the 2% of visitors come so often they need something new then u r wrong

This is the most sensible post I've read on here in a while.

Sure it would be GREAT to have a new park. Especially one of thrill rides and coasters but I understand the financially right now it is not worth it for them. creativity is out the window and they are to concerned with the bottom line right now. Not to mention the shrinking amount of vacation day's people in the US have.

I heard a rumor about a possible Water Park here in Hawaii that would be near Aulani but I think that idea died because there is a Wet & Wild Waterpark that is less then 10 min away from Aulani.

The drawing board plans for a 5th Disney has been in the works for years and will happen, especailly as they are continuing to biuld more and more on site resorts and the present 4 parks are basicly crowded all year now!

They have reports of highly secret plans on the drawing boards..........lots of possible ideas, but like reported here to ecomony has slowly this down.

I would not expect any serious annoucments for a few years.

I do beleive you will never see a all thirll ride park as they don't drive enough attendance, and appeal to a narrow geographic. However your theme out will be a mix to attract family, younger and older and adualts.

AKK

I hope you are right - but - I disagree. Let's say I disagree over the next 10 years. There is just too much low lying fruit in China, India, Brazil, etc.

One of the first things Iger did once being anointed was to meet with the Florida guys and determine a long term strategy for the remaining land. All of that was reported in the press. Thus, I do believe a segment of the land is circled for potential expansion.

1. You have to ask how much additional revenue a 5th park would generate?
  2. You have to realize that Disney just cannot build a 6 Flags type Roller Coaster - Everest cost 1/2 Billion. A 5th park would cost you 5 Billion plus.
  3. They have stated to Wall Street they plan to cut back on expenditures in the foreseeable future. That is in the press also.
  4. The new foreign parks are being subsidized by local investors / partners. Not sure any US Company wants to throw a Billion at Disney to build a 5th park - too much insecurity in the market.

Regardless: Long term thinking is out the window when you look at the Avatar thing - how stupid was that thought? They make money on Carsland in Cali and want to immediately duplicate it in Florida (though - I love the thought!).

Who knows - they are smart folks that are not that bright. Why did they sell land to Celebration, Holiday Inn Resorts and the new Subdivision? That land is valuable - and they gave it away for short term profits? I don't get it!

I hope you are right - but - I disagree. Let's say I disagree over the next 10 years. There is just too much low lying fruit in China, India, Brazil, etc.

One of the first things Iger did once being anointed was to meet with the Florida guys and determine a long term strategy for the remaining land. All of that was reported in the press. Thus, I do believe a segment of the land is circled for potential expansion. I still think, from what I have read / heard:

2. You have to realize that Disney just cannot build a 6 Flags type Roller Coaster - Everest cost 1/2 Billion. A 5th park would cost you 5 Billion plus.
  3. They have stated to Wall Street they plan to cut back on expenditures in the foreseeable future. That is in the press also.
  4. The new foreign parks are being subsidized by local investors / partners and not costing Disney much.
  5. Not sure any US Company wants to throw a Billion at Disney to build a 5th park - too much insecurity in the market.

I am thinking a 5th park is way low on the Totem Poll.

I heard there was going to be a 5th park which will entirely be made up of Meet and Greets and DVC kiosks

One of the first things Iger did once being anointed was to meet with the Florida guys and determine a long term strategy for the remaining land. All of that was reported in the press. Thus, I do believe a segment of the land is circled for potential expansion.

4. The new foreign parks are being subsidized by local investors / partners. Not sure any US Company wants to throw a Billion at Disney to build a 5th park - too much insecurity in the market.

Regardless: Long term thinking is out the window when you look at the Avatar thing - how stupid was that thought? They make money on Carsland in Cali and want to immediately duplicate it in Florida (though - I love the thought!).

Who knows - they are smart folks that are not that bright. Why did they sell land to Celebration, Holiday Inn Resorts and the new Subdivision? That land is valuable - and they gave it away for short term profits? I don't get it!

You raise somes good points but .....

1.. Iger is on the way out.......read some of the reports and alot of stockholders and Disney management is not happy with him, his style. I give him a year more at best.

2. They cannot keep biulding on site resorts unless they have the parks to take the guest. Disney has always worked the 2 together, earning revenve form all the sourses.

They are filling the 4 parks now..a 5 th park will bring in alot of guests and fill the resorts as well.

Look at Hp at Uni, if HP had not been the hit it was...........uni would have likely ended up closing..Yes.....read a bit about the NBC and talks to seel the uni parks. The RUMOUR (I do not know this for fact)was that they were talking to Disney as well.

3. I do totally agree..........Avatar was a big mistake and it was a big mistake to even accounce it before everything was settled.

4. Disney knows they have to have a 5 th park.......in the resort/ theme park buz,you have to reinvest or die!

5. Carlands is a massive major hit!.I think they need to biuld one at HS, if for no other reason then HS needs a new major attraction.

Anyway........time will tell.......

AKK.

They are filling the 4 parks now..a 5 th park will bring in alot of guests and fill the resorts as well.

Actually, that is basically incorrect. They are not filling DHS or DAK by a long shot. Those parks need more things to make them full day parks and get them near attendance figures of Epcot never mind MK.

There is no evidence that a new park will bring anybody or at least any significant attendance bumps. They did not come in droves for them before. Again, DAK proved that building a new park wont bring in a significant number of people.

The reality of ths situation is promotions like Year of a Million Dreams brings in as many people to Florida as The World of Villians Park. Again, the overwhelming majority of people who come to Walt Disney World are "casual" guests. They think they should bring their kids once or twice while they are kids and thats it. A 5th park is not going to change that.

I am 42 years old. I would be shocked if there is a 5th theme park in WDW in my lifetime. You said Disney "knows it needs a 5th park." I think its the exact opposite. They know a 5th park is a waste of billions of dollars

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter