New Movie being filmed for Soarin???

Discussion in 'The DIS Unplugged Podcast' started by k5jmh, Jun 13, 2013.

1. k5jmh

k5jmh When Yuba plays the Rumba on his Tuba...

Lots of chatter about this. I suspect the use of the new IMAX Digital 4K 3D projectors at Soarin if the do this at EPCOT.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. woodleygrrl

woodleygrrl Lawyer to the Stars

if this is true, it would be the best ever. Every time we go on Sorin' we say wouldn't it be great if they did a movie of all the national parks, or of monuments in Washington DC, or capitols of the world?

Hope this happens.

4. SpaceMtMan

SpaceMtMan Mouseketeer

That would be very cool. Crossing my fingers :thumbsup2

5. alice99

alice99 DIS Veteran

I was in Disneyland in 2009 with my son and I took a guided walking tour of the California Adventure Park.

The guide told us that Disneyland and Disney World were very competitive with each other and DL preferred to keep Soarin' Over California as a DL exclusive. It stayed that way for a few years ..... but then the Theater was built inside The LAND Pavilion.... with every intention of making a different film to be shown in Epcot..... anyhow, people loved Soarin' so much, just as it is, that they left it alone.
    The tour guide told us the new film was supposed to be more of an ecological type film about planet Earth.... more in line with the theme of The Land Pavilion.
    But, when the ride had so much success "as is" that they just left it alone, it saved them $$ and people were thrilled anyway.
    I'd LOVE to see a different film in this theater!! :cool1:

6. WaltD4Me

WaltD4Me <font color=royalblue>PS...I tried asking for wate

I love Soarin' and would actually be happy if they just cleaned up the current film, get the floaties out of there and freshen it up, it is showing it's age. But if they do decide to do a new film, I hope it's a realistic theme, flying over landscapes and bodies of water, ect....I think it would take away from the attraction to be parasailing in space or whatever.

7. chirurgeon

chirurgeon I am a delicate flower and need my sleep.

Soarin' is my favorite ride (six times last trip). I don't know how I would feel. I listen to the soundtrack and I can see it in my head. But a new, digital film would be wonderful. Not sure if they should keep the same music. The current one is just so linked to the scenes.

Kim

8. doconeill

doconeill Fastpass Jedi Master DIS Lifetime Sponsor

The timing would be right. The new projectors that are supposed to be capable of the right resolution will be available at the end of the year. I figured Disney would allow them some "burn in time" to see if it works out.

One complication is that Soarin' uses Omnimax screens, so how well the dual projectors might work with that I'm not sure yet.

What I'm a bit surprised at is no mention of making it a variable experience, ala Star Tours. Then again, they don't seem to need to drive re-riding with it yet...

Edit: Realized I mentioned dual projectors, but no explanation - the plan is to use two specially designed 4K laser projectors in tandem in order to up the resolution enough to be at least close to the effective resolution of the 70MM film, which is really somewhere on the order of 12k (with HD video being less than 2k)

9. Yellosno

Yellosno DIS Veteran

Ive wanted to see a new video there for a few years now. Still love the ride I just would love to see different areas. Ive always wondered why they didnt do a soarin over Florida.

10. wiigirl

wiigirl DIS Veteran

Fingers crossed :goodvibes

11. lttlmc3

lttlmc3 <font color=darkorchid>You can ship it. I'll still

This would be good. I'm going to shock everyone by saying I don't like Soarin'. I find it very boring:rolleyes1