New Movie: ‘The Sorcerer’s Apprentice’

Another Voice

Charter Member of The Element
At least this isn’t the announcement of National Treasure 3.

From today’s Hollywood Reporter ( http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/news/e3iaab9bb7dce6a1ab9faa815956f417ea6 ):

Dis has Cage conjured up for 'Sorcerer'
By Borys Kit

Feb 12, 2007

Nicolas Cage is attached star in a live-action feature film version of the classic tale of "The Sorcerer's Apprentice" for Walt Disney Pictures. Cage and his Saturn Film partner Norm Golightly are teaming with Todd Garner's Broken Road Prods. to produce.

Lawrence Konner and Mark Rosenthal are writing the screenplay, which takes its inspiration from Johann Wolfgang Goethe's original poem, which in turn was the inspiration for the classic Mickey Mouse animated sequence from Disney's 1940 classic "Fantasia."

"Sorcerer" is being envisioned as a tentpole fantasy adventure set in contemporary New York, where a powerful sorcerer is in need of an apprentice. Cage would play the sorcerer.

While not based on a ride like the "Pirates of the Caribbean" films, the in-development project continues Disney's trend of reimagining classic Disney titles as live-action, event pictures.

No director is attached.

Brigham Taylor is overseeing for Disney. Ben Haber will oversee the project for Broken Road.

Broken Road and Saturn are producing "Next," a thriller starring Cage that Paramount will release domestically in the spring. Garner and Matt Alvarez are producing "Are We Done Yet?" the Ice Cube sequel to "Are We There Yet?"

Cage, who next stars in Columbia's "Ghost Rider," and Saturn are producing Sci Fi Channel's "The Dresden Files." Cage is repped by CAA.

Konner and Rosenthal, repped by Endeavor, have worked on such films as last year's "Flicka" and "Eragon." Their credits include "I, Robot" and "Mona Lisa Smile."

I like the phrase “reimagining classic Disney titles as live action”. It sounds so much better than “we're hacks and can’t come up with anything new”.

A-V, you don't give them enough credit. They'll have to be very creative to turn an 8-minute segment of Fantasia into a full-length feature film!

Oh, this reminds me... on disney.com you can see the trailer for Underdog. And yes, its a real dog in a cape.

But Disney is always taking eight minutes of story and turning them into three hour long movies. Haven't you seen Pearl Harbor or PotC: Dead Man'd Chest?

I'm just trying to figure out how they're going to work in all the Elvis references into a wizard. Still, if this keeps Mr. Cage from playing Superman I guess this movie will serve a purpose.

My only problem is from ALL of the movies listed in the article, the only good one is Pirates of the Caribbean.

The first few episodes of "The Dresden Files" has been pretty interesting. Sci Fi Channel with the Stargates, Battlestar Galactica, Eureka and now "The Dresden Files" has been putting out some good series.

Back to the topic, who knows what exact direction this movie would go. If its well written, it could be good, if not, then it won't be.

My dog has left piles on the lawn with more artistic merit then the Dresdan files and I'm not even going to get started on Stargate.

Pathetic...Cheap...Ripoff...
What I'd really like to say is not allowed on these boards.
A live-action version of "The Sorcerer's Apprentice" Nicholas Cage plays Mickey Mouse. Is Steamboat Willie next? I can't be surprised by this because of Disney's recent history. It will probably make $300mil, and then they will be able to justify doing a live action remake of Snow White with the Matt Roloff as Grumpym and Mini Me as Dopey.

I wonder if people will take acid during "The Sorcerer's Apprentice" to make it more interesting.

Disney has finally found something they are good at...Sinking to new lows

At the moment Jungle Cruise: The Movie is in script development. And even though it was a joke on HBO, it's rumored that Matterhorn: The Movie will be next in line.

There are also rumblings about a live action "princess" movie of some sort to prop up the girl's toy line. Some whispers say it will be a feature, others say it will be Disney Channel job featuring the whatever pre-rehab actresses are hot on the channel the month they make the movie. In either case, a live action movie is thought to support a wider arrange of products (toys, CDs, make-up kits, etc.) and skew a little older than an animated film.

Other rumblings are that the entire Fab '70s string o'hits - from The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes to Escape from Witch Mountain to The Cat from Outer Space is being looked over for a Pirates style updating. There's even talk of remaking Splash.

Disney isn't really seen as a major studio anymore so no one takes their serious projects to them. And Disney isn't willing to shop for them on the open market either. So they're stuck constantly looking over stories they already own.

At the moment Jungle Cruise: The Movie is in script development. And even though it was a joke on HBO, it's rumored that Matterhorn: The Movie will be next in line.

Other rumblings are that the entire Fab '70s string o'hits - from The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes to Escape from Witch Mountain to The Cat from Outer Space is being looked over for a Pirates style updating. There's even talk of remaking Splash.

Disney isn't really seen as a major studio anymore so no one takes their serious projects to them. And Disney isn't willing to shop for them on the open market either. So they're stuck constantly looking over stories they already own.

I don't know who this speaks more poorly of. Disney for its complete and total lack of creativity and imagination, or the foolish public who continues to waste their time and pay actual money to see this crap. Disney should be ashamed of themselves for putting this garbage out. But those people who rush to buy the DVDequels, and stand in line to see these films, allowing the media to talk about their huge opening weekends are also guilty.

Disney has made an art out of taking things too far. Rides turned into movies, TV shows into rides, Shamless plugs for their programs, etc written into the scripts of network television shows. This company has become pitiful. Yet there are those on these boards who are going to stick up for everything the all mighty Disney does. (please see "fools" above.)

But seriously A.V. Why shoud Disney stop at the 70's with this stuff. Why not bring back Kurt Russell to star in remakes of all of his silver screen magic from the 60's. They've got to be close. Hell, they've already done Flubber, Herbie and others.

I hope the creative geniuses at the Mouse are reading this post, because I have a great concept. "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire: THE MOVIE". Imagine the possibilities here. They could do endless sequels, a home video game, even a TV game show with Regis Philbin as the host. That could save ABC. Perhaps they could someday even create a theme park attraction based on this concept. I'm sure the public would eat it up.

Lest you think that the original poem will offer more to base a movie on....

NEIN!

Below is an English translation from the original poem, which was written in German. There are different translations out there, but in the end, its about an apprentice who can't stop a broom from carrying water into the house.

Sorcerer's Apprentice
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Good! The sorcerer, my old master
left me here alone today!
Now his spirits, for a change,
my own wishes shall obey!
Having memorized
what to say and do,
with my powers of will I can
do some witching, too!

Go, I say,
Go on your way,
do not tarry,
water carry,
let it flow abundantly,
and prepare a bath for me!​

Come on now, old broom, get dressed,
these old rags will do just fine!
You're a slave in any case,
and today you will be mine!
May you have two legs,
and a head on top,
take the bucket, quick
hurry, do not stop!

Go, I say,
Go on your way,
do not tarry,
water carry,
let it flow abundantly,
and prepare a bath for me.​

Look, how to the bank he's running!
and now he has reached the river,
he returns, as quick as lightning,
once more water to deliver.
Look! The tub already
is almost filled up!
And now he is filling
every bowl and cup!

Stop! Stand still!
Heed my will!
I've enough
of the stuff!
I've forgotten - woe is me!
what the magic word may be.​

Oh, the word to change him back
into what he was before!
Oh, he runs, and keeps on going!
Wish you'd be a broom once more!
He keeps bringing water
quickly as can be,
and a hundred rivers
he pours down on me!

No, no longer
can I let him,
I must get him
with some trick!
I'm beginning to feel sick.
What a look! - and what a face!​

O, you ugly child of Hades!
The entire house will drown!
Everywhere I look, I see
water, water, running down.
Be you damned, old broom,
why won't you obey?
Be a stick once more,
please, I beg you, stay!

Is the end
not in sight?
I will grab you,
hold you tight,
with my axe I'll split the brittle
old wood smartly down the middle.​

Here he comes again with water!
Now I'll throw myself upon you,
and the sharpness of my axe
I will test, o spirit, on you.
Well, a perfect hit!
See how he is split!
Now there's hope for me,
and I can breathe free!

Woe is me! Both pieces
come to life anew,
now, to do my bidding
I have servants two!
Help me, o great powers!
Please, I'm begging you!​

And they're running! Wet and wetter
get the stairs, the rooms, the hall!
What a deluge! What a flood!
Lord and master, hear my call!
Ah, here comes the master!
I have need of Thee!
from the spirits that I called
Sir, deliver me!

"Back now, broom,
into the closet!
Be thou as thou
wert before!
Until I, the real master
call thee forth to serve once more!”​

I can't wait till the live action of the Fab Five comes out featuring the Frat Pack

Luke Wilson - Mickey Mouse
Vince Vaughn- Donald Duck
Christine Taylor - Minnie Mouse
Christina Applegate- Daisy Duck
and of course
Will Ferrell- Goofy

But honestly- I really do wish Disney could try to come up with something creative. Mostly everything they put out is based on something (Attraction, previous movie, TV show, Sequal, True Story) Some are good, most are bad

I can't wait till the live action of the Fab Five comes out featuring the Frat Pack

Luke Wilson - Mickey Mouse
Vince Vaughn- Donald Duck
Christine Taylor - Minnie Mouse
Christina Applegate- Daisy Duck
and of course
Will Ferrell- Goofy

But honestly- I really do wish Disney could try to come up with something creative. Mostly everything they put out is based on something (Attraction, previous movie, TV show, Sequal, True Story) Some are good, most are bad

The end of your post is well said, However, it must be pointe out that Daisy Duck is not one of the "Fab Five". Pluto is the other member of this special group. Not sure who you would have play him. :teacher:

Lest you think that the original poem will offer more to base a movie on....

NEIN!

Below is an English translation from the original poem, which was written in German. There are different translations out there, but in the end, its about an apprentice who can't stop a broom from carrying water into the house.

look at you with the fancy poems

Back to the original post. I'm still having trouble swallowing a current, hip, Sorcerer's Apprentice set in NYC and Mr. Cage as Yen Sid. (the article said sorcerer, not apprentice)

I think this could be a really good idea for a film. It is no less likely than making a flim about a park ride.
I remember how many people hohaaed that at the time it was announced.
What it depends on is how it is written, Wizards are very popular at present¡¡¡¡

I guess I have to start going to church so I can pray that Disney does not go through with this terrible movie idea. They have created some real CRAP in the past few years. This could be the worst ever.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter