New Lawsuit Against Seaworld

Scant info in the article.

In other news (also from the Orlando Sentinel) Sea World is finally going to go on the offense to counter all the bad press its been getting. I just hope they haven't waited too long.

There is a lot of BS in the complaint. It seems to assume that Blackfish sets the standard. The essence of the complaint is in this paragraph:

Hall concluded that SeaWorld’s improper treatment of its captive orcas, as well as SeaWorld’s false and misleading statements and omissions regarding orca conditions and treatment, was unethical, and that had she known of the true facts regarding these conditions and treatment she would not have paid for the tickets to either of her family visits to SeaWorld in 2011 and 2012.
She claims SeaWorld violated several California, Florida and Texas statutes but they all turn on whether SeaWorld's marketing is false, deceptive, etc.

The basic problem with the complaint is that it fails to distinguish between a fraud and the traditional marketing practice of putting the best face on the product being sold. Fraud usually also requires some kind of a concealment and I'm having a hard time seeing what if anything SeaWorld concealed.

If this complaint were to succeed, it is hard to see where we could ever draw the line between marketing and fraud.

I dislike holding marine mammals captive but a lawsuit screaming fraud strikes me as quite extreme.

It's for the money. My concern is what happens to these animals if Sea World goes bankrupt.

I'm with Pete on the Sea World business.

It's got to be about money. Granted Sea World may deserve some criticism about the way they hold their animals in captivity but they do a lot for rescue too.

I wasn't going to go visit Seaworld on my next trip since we went last time and have other places we want to check out but have decided that the least I can do is support them. So Seaworld will be a must on our next trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter