New Jiko Menu... opinions please!

heatherandnick

DIS Veteran
I just looked at the updated Jiko menu on Allears and I have to say, I'm disappointed. Nothing sounds that good to me or to DH. We even thought about switching over to Artist Point, but Jiko is in our top three. We love it. Has anyone been recently and had anything they loved?
Thanks

heatherandnick said:
I just looked at the updated Jiko menu on Allears and I have to say, I'm disappointed. Nothing sounds that good to me or to DH. We even thought about switching over to Artist Point, but Jiko is in our top three. We love it. Has anyone been recently and had anything they loved?
Thanks

Jiko is my favorite signature restaurant. We were there 3 weeks ago, looks like right before the new menu change. Everything we had except for dessert is still in the menu. We went during the F&W Festival so DH and I shared everything. We had the cheese plate, bobotie rolls, peri peri chicken, 2 baskets of bread (just can't help it, it's so good!) and dessert which I can't remember what it was now. I had the lemon verbena tea with dessert. It was all fantastic as usual!!
If you are on the dining plan this might not work, but you could order just appetizers, salads, etc and desserts. We've done this before.
I think the service, atmosphere, wines, etc are worth it alone to go!! With a little creativity I think you can come up with a meal you would enjoy and wouldn't skip it just because you aren't thrilled with the entree selections. Plus they are pretty flexible adapting a dish to your tastes so that is something to keep in mind as well.
Hope you get to enjoy Jiko!

The new menu looks really exciting to me. We were planning on skipping Jiko this year even though it's our favorite, but I think we might have to pop in to the lounge for some duck confit flatbread at the very least.

Jiko is my favorite signature restaurant. We were there 3 weeks ago, looks like right before the new menu change. Everything we had except for dessert is still in the menu. We went during the F&W Festival so DH and I shared everything. We had the cheese plate, bobotie rolls, peri peri chicken, 2 baskets of bread (just can't help it, it's so good!) and dessert which I can't remember what it was now. I had the lemon verbena tea with dessert. It was all fantastic as usual!!
If you are on the dining plan this might not work, but you could order just appetizers, salads, etc and desserts. We've done this before.
I think the service, atmosphere, wines, etc are worth it alone to go!! With a little creativity I think you can come up with a meal you would enjoy and wouldn't skip it just because you aren't thrilled with the entree selections. Plus they are pretty flexible adapting a dish to your tastes so that is something to keep in mind as well.
Hope you get to enjoy Jiko!
You're right. We are on the dxdp, but we will make it work.

Jiko is maybe the best restaraunt on Disney property

We had the beef short ribs and filet mignon both still on the menu and were incredible

Also, our apps, the taste of africa and cheese plate were amazing. heres our review

http://www.jamboeveryone.com/Blog/Entries/2012/10/3_Jiko,_The_Cooking_Place.html
Thanks so much. I'm definitely going to try the cheese plate this time! We have had both the filet and the short ribs on previous trips, and they were delish!

The new menu looks really exciting to me. We were planning on skipping Jiko this year even though it's our favorite, but I think we might have to pop in to the lounge for some duck confit flatbread at the very least.
Everyone has different tastes. :) I'm sure everything is great. I'm leaning toward the chicken... even though I swore I would never order chicken in D-World.

Looks very close to what it was in June. Don't see any major changes.
I had my eye on a shrimp curry dish that is no longer being offered. I think that's why I'm a little disappointed. Also, I'm not that fond of peas, mushrooms, or peanuts and they all seem to be prevalent in Jiko's dishes. (I'm really not that picky though...seriously. haha)

I had my eye on a shrimp curry dish that is no longer being offered. I think that's why I'm a little disappointed. Also, I'm not that fond of peas, mushrooms, or peanuts and they all seem to be prevalent in Jiko's dishes. (I'm really not that picky though...seriously. haha)

For what it's worth, the only thing I've ever had at Jiko that I didn't love was that shrimp curry dish. Prior to that, I had never tasted a curry I didn't like, but I thought it was really strange. Like you said, though, everybody has different tastes.

I'm always skeptical about chicken in Disney but I must say, the peri peri chicken at Jiko was the most tender, flavorful I've ever had... anywhere!

I was disappointed to see the shrimp curry dish gone from Jiko's menu. It was my favorite food at any Disney restaurants.

But... I've never had anything at Jiko I didn't like. :)

Some of the new dishes sound very good. I'm betting they are delicious!

In a moment of weakness, I was able to convince picky eaters DW and (adult) DD to go to Jiko for me (the foodie).

Even as we were seated and examining the menus DW remarked "Are you sure I agreed to come here?" Fast forward to the end of the story: We all loved it.
We shared a cheese plate as an app, and they both had the filet that they raved about. Right this minute I don't recall what I ordered, but it was delicious.
The service was excellent, and it was a nice meal for adults in an atmosphere on the low-key side (for a WDW eatery). I'm sure we'll be returning on future trips. :earsboy:

I went in September. I enjoyed the meal but was a little disappointed that the coconut bread pudding and one last cup desserts were off the menu.
We are going again in January as part of the Wanyama Safari

MLinDisney said:
I went in September. I enjoyed the meal but was a little disappointed that the coconut bread pudding and one last cup desserts were off the menu.
We are going again in January as part of the Wanyama Safari

Keep in mind that menu is limited and served family style

Keep in mind that menu is limited and served family style

I guess it could be considered limited in that it's a prix fixe. It's a bountiful spread. Appetizers, sides, main dishes, desserts, you don't go away hungry. The main dish course includes a serving of chicken, fish, and beef for everyone at the table. The dessert course is served plated, but there are 3 or 4 tasting portions of desserts to enjoy. You get to try far more dishes than you probably would on a typical visit to the restaurant.

We just ate there Saturday evening. It was our second visit. DH had been raving about the steak and the coffee ever since our first visit, so we went back.

Our experience with the service was terrible (in direct contrast to the amazing service we had on our first visit). I think it was because it was a very crowded night there, and our waiter had a large table that was involved in some sort of F&W event. That's really no excuse, but I think we'd still go back because we feel the service was just an off night.

As far as the food...DH ordered the Taste of Africa, and I ordered the Jiko Salad. Both were excellent. The salad was very different than any salad I'd ever had, and I liked it. It had fruit in it, and a small side of a tart lemon yogurt.

For the main courses, I had the Lamb Loin (not on the menus I've seen online), and DH had the Filet Mignon. Both were cooked the way we wanted, although the waiter told DH that there is no such thing as a steak cooked somewhere between medium and medium-well, and we had just had dinner at Yachtsman where they told us they could do exactly that. The entrees were very good, and made the service issues more tolerable.

For dessert, we shared the Chocolate and Tea plate, which had a homemade Kit-Kat, green tea ice cream, and Vanilla Roobios cake. The cake was great, the kit-kat was so-so, and the green tea ice cream was good if you like Moroccan Mint green tea.

We also shared a pressed pot of coffee, but it didn't seem as tasty as last time.

Overall, not as great of an experience as our previous one, but still really good food and we'd still go back again someday.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!