New J.K. Rowling Book

Discussion in 'Community Board' started by Soldier's*Sweeties, Sep 26, 2012.

1. PollyannaMom

PollyannaMom I was a click-clack champ!!

I didn't realize my library was allowing holds based on pre-order, and waited until release day to go in and place one. I'm 207th in the list. :(

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Nette

Nette DIS Veteran

Agreed. I can't even get through the free kindle sample. I'm totally bummed.

I really suggest anyone who is going to pony up the $17 for the eBook should read the free sample first.

4. JamesMom

JamesMom DIS Veteran

At least it is available as an e-book. It wasn't that long ago that Rowling denounced e books in favor of dead tree exclusively. That being said, I purchased my hardcover on release day for $21 and have yet to start.

5. NotUrsula

NotUrsula DIS Veteran

I have always had some issues with Rowling's writing, except for in Philosopher's Stone. Her success is both a blessing and a curse, because it made her publisher more willing to go easy on the editing. The thing is, Rowling really needs ruthless editing, because she goes off on meandering tangents at the drop of a hat.

The first HP book was well-edited, but each subsequent one became less so -- I nearly gave up on OOP during that interminable game of musical doors in the Dept. of Mysteries.

I haven't picked up CV yet, but given the subject matter I can easily see that it might have the same sorts of issues.

6. Imzadi

Imzadi Saved by an angel in a trenchcoat

OOTP was my least favorite book too. I also thought The Deathly Hallows could have used about 100 pages of editing while in the forest.

Still no Casual Vacancy in eBook at my library. With 137 hardcovers, you'd have thought they'd have bought ONE eBook format. :confused3

7. pittypat

pittypat Mouseketeer

Finished the book yesterday. It's okay, not great. It held my interest enough to want to finish it, but I had a hard time keeping the characters straight. It was also a bit of a downer. The ended was abrupt and felt unfinished. The language was a faaaar departure from Harry Potter. Would I re-read it? Not a chance.

8. Desiree

Desiree <font color=purple>BL II - Purple Team<br><font co

I finished it yesterday. I liked it but I didn't love it and yes, the ending was like watching a train wreck but you just couldn't stop reading. It did hold my interest though. I'm just not sure that this is a book would be one that I could recommend to people.

9. shortbun

shortbun <font color=green>Peacenik<br><font color=purple><

Starting it today. My husband bought it at the grocery for $16 yesterday. I have a Kindle but I like holding a book sometimes.
    Figured her first non-Potter was a good one to own.

10. lovesmurfs

lovesmurfs DIS Veteran

I'm still working through it slowly. Just not one that's holding my interest, and I'm not sure I'll pre-order her next one. Just doesn't seem as well written as the HP series...disappointing so far.

11. MrsJackSparrow4Life

MrsJackSparrow4Life DIS Veteran

I looked today and it has gone down to $14.99 for the Kindle version (don't know about other ebook formats but I would assume they were the same). While better than $17.99 it is still too pricey for my tastes. I think $10.99 would be my max but even then I think I am annoyed enough with the publishers over this one, that I probably will wait for it to come to overdrive.

12. PollyannaMom

PollyannaMom I was a click-clack champ!!

I am no longer 207th on the hold list! DS (I'm sure with DH) bought it for me for my birthday. :goodvibes

I've just started, but I think I like it so far. I could kind of do without the insight into all the teenage boy's thoughts (not exactly what I'm used to from her children's books) but I can see a good storyline being set up.

13. GaRain

GaRain DIS Veteran

I think I want to read this, but may wait til paperback/cheaper edition.

14. ilovemk76

ilovemk76 DIS Veteran

I doubt I will read it. It was 40% off at Target yesterday.

15. Handbag Lady

Handbag Lady Disneyland Bride 2000

I finally finished my chore of reading this book a few days ago. I did get somewhat interested around 82% of the way in so I did get through the end faster than the rest of the book.

I think someone else's description of cautionary tale fits it best.

I wouldn't read it again, but at least it finished. :lmao: I honestly think that if the introduction of characters was handled a little bit smoother, it would have made for a better read.

16. RunningGirl

RunningGirl DIS Veteran

I really did not like this book. Honestly, I kept waiting for it to get better, and if another author had written it, I might have given up on it. I will not be rushing out to get her next book. Compared to HP, the characters were so one-dimensional and the story was just weak.

17. Soldier's*Sweeties

Soldier's*Sweeties DIS Veteran

I think I'm going to pass this one up.

Thanks for the opinions guys!

18. lovesmurfs

lovesmurfs DIS Veteran

ITA. It's almost as though it's a totally different writer. While the topic isn't something I'd pick off the shelf, I expected a well-written, well-assembled story. Half-way through, I'm still looking for it. I'll finish, but I'll certainly think twice before buying another. :sad1: