• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

New Express Transportation: $19/day or $29/week-SERVICE ENDING AUGUST 23RD 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm really interested in this. I have been less inclined to park hop because of the hassle of transportation. I understand there has been many "up-sell" things announced recently but I don't understand the outrage. I don't remember people being this upset about dessert parties, dining packages for show viewings, tours, character dining, etc. It's all optional and not required for a fun vacation.

So buses after all...they got to come from somewhere. :scratchin
Yes.
Although during a peak like Christmas week, you start seeing some old, "rounder" busses being used, and the also bring in some Mears busses.

Most of the year there are busses doing nothing waiting in park lots most of the day.

By starting this at 10am, they avoid any park opening peaks. Closing might be more of an issue, but they might be able to pull in some MDE busses?

Personally this bothers me much less than the Wild Africa Trek. That "premium" experience ruined the visuals in an attraction!

I'm really interested in this. I have been less inclined to park hop because of the hassle of transportation. I understand there has been many "up-sell" things announced recently but I don't understand the outrage. I don't remember people being this upset about dessert parties, dining packages for show viewings, tours, character dining, etc. It's all optional and not required for a fun vacation.
I completely agree. We park hop frequently and the transportation and security can be very time consuming...to the point where I haven't been taking a bag even though I could use it. Time is money and for 24.00 for the week if this can save, even a little bit, of time it's worth a try. And I'm glad it's optional and they didn't decide to tack on 24.00 automatically to the park hopper ticket.

I talked about this on the rumors thread, but this seems like an incredibly low price point for those with long trips. I have a feeling they are going to get a lot of takers. So I wonder how it will work out if the buses come every half hour but there are enough people for more than that. It does make me a little scared they'll take resources from the pool of buses for resorts. But I suppose we'll see.

I talked about this on the rumors thread, but this seems like an incredibly low price point for those with long trips. I have a feeling they are going to get a lot of takers. So I wonder how it will work out if the buses come every half hour but there are enough people for more than that. It does make me a little scared they'll take resources from the pool of buses for resorts. But I suppose we'll see.

Or they run it through the holidays. Pull it back. Bring it back with spring break crowds at a higher price point.

Agreed.

But I will say, if as a local, I plan on visiting two days in a row, I shouldn't have to pay extra for not staying on site. I think they should work it like they do a DAS and set it to have an expiration like 14 days or whatever.
As a local, most likely (much keeps transits guests) you would have your own vehicle in the parking lot and tend not to use this service.
Then they discovered they could make more money if they charged for hopping, and the no-expire option.
Way back in 2004 or 2005 when the tickets went to á la carte, base tic know gets actually did go down.

Makes me think...what's really driving this?
One or both of theses may be true..because at this price point , it surely is not a money making venture with all the overhead of the buses and CM's.
1- With the increased and possibly with more intense security at front gates, this will reduce the bottleneck at the front gates.
2- If they are seeing a drop off of park hopper add on sales or they want to increase the PH option sales with this perk..I can see them offering Ticket+hopper+express transportation as an option.

Here are some screen shots of the recent Transportation Survey they sent guests asking about "pay transportation" ...

Screen+Shot+2016-08-18+at+8.46.05+PM.jpg

Screen+Shot+2016-08-18+at+8.47.03+PM.jpg

Screen+Shot+2016-08-18+at+8.52.47+PM.jpg

Screen+Shot+2016-08-18+at+8.53.29+PM.jpg

This is not something I would consider much for my solo trips, as the few times I park hop solo it's not a big deal going through security again. But when I have friends and family along who aren't as "efficient" when going through security and wanting to maximize the time spent doing their favorite attractions, it might become more of a benefit to me.

It does harken back to the "good old days" when there was a separate transportation ticket, and a separate admission ticket, and a separate ride ticket. . .

That's too bad. Particularly with how guests typically tour EP - start in FW, end in WS - it would certainly save on a LOT of walking if they could get a bus back in WS. Is there a place to park a bus back there?
yes, they have large spaces all around. For example for Candlelight Processional the bus that brings the choir kids parks close to Italy

Are you staying longer than 7 days?
Annual Passholders may purchase the single-day service for $15 or the multi-day service for $24 (valid for seven consecutive days from day of sale).

I feel better about this now.
Hope the lines for the buses aren't long so that you have to line up way in advance - we'll see...

I read the first five pages of this thread and the last (p.13).
If it's $24 to add on, I think it's fantastic, and it makes buying PHs in the first place a lot more appealing to me. A big part of why didn't plan to get PHs for our next trip was the time it takes to travel between parks.

Exactly. Here's how this strikes a DLR veteran: When planning our trip to WDW, we get told 1) that PHs are not vital like at DLR because the parks are so "far apart" that PHing can be a time-sucking exercise, and 2) Oh, even if you only go to one park per day, you should expect to waste two hours of each day of your vacation in transit. I leave next week for our trip, and this sounds like a way to lessen my #1 anxiety about trying to navigate WDW after having DLR experiences: losing my Type A mind with time lost to transit. I would think it makes PHs more attractive as PHing itself takes up less time. I wish I could book it NOW instead of waiting until we get to a park.

Makes me think...what's really driving this?
One or both of theses may be true..because at this price point , it surely is not a money making venture with all the overhead of the buses and CM's.
1- With the increased and possibly with more intense security at front gates, this will reduce the bottleneck at the front gates.
2- If they are seeing a drop off of park hopper add on sales or they want to increase the PH option sales with this perk..I can see them offering Ticket+hopper+express transportation as an option.

My family would (will!) pay $120 for five of these passes for our ten-day visit, so $12/day from us collectively, or $2.40 per person, for a short-distance, few-stop bus service. I think it could totally make money. We will not use it every day of our trip, maybe just five of the days, tops, especially as we did not know about this service when I made ADRs and such. (Srsly, all I can think is how different my plans would be. We are doing Free Dining, so we didn't have a choice about getting PH tickets.) So, really $4.80 per use for a bus route with what? Four stops? Eight? Think of what you pay for a city bus.
I see this as trying to capture some of the money Uber is getting for people who want faster transportation options within the resort and make PHs more attractive. But as a PP pointed out, they could try to make internal transportation better for everyone, but of course not.
And, yes, I do foresee this option being something you can add on to a PH ticket when booking.

anything about scooters/wheelchairs? These have to be returned when you leave the park. can you leave them at the bus stop and get a new one at the new park? And does anyone know where the pickup slots are? I.E. how far do you have to walk? if anyone knows and chance of a screenshot showing where? :)

I really like this and would have signed up in a heartbeat for my upcoming 2 week Christmas/New Years trip. But, I already have my days planned out with ADR's, FP's and early entry. (On days where I switch parks I have a long gap between parks as I plan to spend time at our resort). If this is available on my next trip in August I will use park to park transportation as a variable in planning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter