NEW...DOLPHIN/SWAN..."questions and answers"...tips and hints!

Status
Not open for further replies.
We. too. are lucky that our 2 DS want to come with us. Last August our #1 son just finished his freshman year in college and there was no way he would not go! We waited until the last of August because he was taking 2 courses during the summer.

Now for this August - it becomes a little more tricky for our family that's why I can't really plan yet. College son is thinking of doing the Marines OCS during his summer breaks from college. His goal is to enter the Marine Corps after graduating from college. Younger DS (jr in HS) is very active in extra-curricular activities and they start in late August and as a senior he doesn't want to miss any part of it like he did last August.

Our best time to travel is summer since all of us except DH are on school year schedules.

Oh well -- I am still hoping and we'll know better by the spring and then my phone call to the Dolphin will be the first step! :)

Has anyone ever booked the Dolphin through Dreams Unlimited (the regular website said there was no avail., but DreamRes was able to get me a room)?

I am a SPG gold member and I am worrying that I will not be as readily recognized as if I booked directly with the hotel.

Also, I booked a standard view, but really would love the resort view. Any suggestions on whether or not I should just break down and pay for the view? I was hoping to get an upgrade. Do they still do that often there? I'm going the begin. of Feb. so I was hoping that would be a slow time...but the UNavail. of rooms on the site made me nervous.

What's the latest on the resort fee too? Are people still having trouble getting that taken off of their bill? Even for SPG gold?

I'M EXCITED. I'm leaving so soon!!! (last minute trip before my baby comes in June)....YEAH!!

While we were in SF, we visited Stanford. It's the ONLY school DD has actually considered on the West Coast. All her other choices are primarily in the East (mainly Mass.), seven sisters, I.L., and others. I was THRILLED with Stanford, (what a Campus!). It's about 3 1/2 hours from our home, and she could drive down on the weekends, we could attend special events, (not to mention the Cards Football games!), etc.

As we perused the campus together, I mentioned WDW, and the fact she would probably not want to go due to her studies, friends, etc. She looked at me in amazement, and said, "mom...WDW is the most special place we visit together, each year since I was 3...I would not miss it for the world." I could have cried right then and there, if not for digging my thumbnail into my finger (LOL)! I had no idea she TRULY sees herself traveling there with us AFTER H.S.! Truly did my heart good. So, I fully understand the importance of "changing the plans to accomodate your children", especially while they are in college. While her college friends will be trapsing across Europe, working as missionaries in the Southern Continent, and working as interns in Washington...we'll be LIVING IT UP at the Happiest Place on Earth! LOL. :p

jmkst58....Congratulations on the upcoming birth of your baby in June! :) Dreams U. is a great agency, and you should be fine at check-in. If you have your heart set on a better view, CL, etc.--then sometimes it's best to arrange and pay for these things in advance. BUT, if you will be happy either way, and wish to ask for these things at the desk (my option), I would wait and hope for the best. Gold SPG is pretty darn good...and they usually recognize it above the standard level of SPG status. I also would not worry about the resort fee. Request this be waived upon arrival, if you still see it on your folio when you prepare to c/o, call and ask for it to be removed. Make sure to tell them (upon c/i) you were under the impression it could be "waived", as this is still my impression too. It seems impossible (nearly illegal) to force someone to pay for services they do not desire! ;) Good Luck...Relax and enjoy!!

Thanks so much df99....you have been such a help to my planning. Your posts are a wealth of information and assistance. SOOOOOOO appreciated.

I do think I'll wait to see if I can get the upgrade at c/i. Good advice. I guess I could always pay the difference at c/i if I so desired?? LOVED the advice about the resort fee too.

THANKS!!! I feel better.

Great story about DD.....would love to hear the same from my own someday. Another reason that I'm taking this trip is to distract myself from the LONGGGGG wait till June..... :-)

We were at the Dolphin Dec28-Jan1 and we booked our reservation through Dreams Unlimited. We asked DU to note our SPG # on our ressie and they did - when we checked in, the Dolphin already had our number. We also received our Starwood points for that stay! Have no fear - Dreams Unlimited was great!:D

We have booked a Junior Suite at the Dolphin for our February trip. I must have missed it if this was answered elsewhere in tihs thread, but as an SPG Gold member I am wondering if we can also request an upgrade to Club Level with a Jr. Suite (either before arrival or at check in time?) or can I use Starpoints for the upgrade if a complimentary one is not available?
Thanks for any advice anyone might have.
Ted

Jmkst58...Enjoy the wonderful time you are having now...carrying and nurturing this precious bundle. ;) She'll be here before you know it! As the Plutopeople wrote...Dreams U is fab, and will note your SPG# if you specify. Please, call them when you have a moment and have this noted in your ressie. And yes, you may ALWAYS upgrade using pts./cash at the time of c/i...if necessary. :) (Thanks for the kind words, happy you find my posts informative and helpful.);)

TedO...you may ALWAYS request a complimentary upgrade to CL at the time of check-in, or pay with points/cash if one is not available. This is very simple to accomplish. Merely inquire if you could please have CL benefits with your Jr. Suite, as you are a GOLD SPG member. If the associate balks, etc., just offer to use points, etc. for the privs. Usually, CL benefits are associated with suites. Before obtaining Plat. status, we were always given CL with the suite ressies (w/o asking), Just FYI. ;)

Thanks for the quick response DF! I will definitely ask for an upgrade to CL at check-in, I just wasn't sure if I could request it beforehand or not, but I would also be happy to use points for a CL upgrade too!
Thanks,
Ted

will "make a notation" or "waitlist" you for a complimentary upgrade to CL. Politely ask this be "noted" on your ressies, and if it's not available upon c/i, you then can use pts./pay cash...etc.!

Resorts operate under a VERY competitive market. They are accustomed to "pleasing" the patron. I have traveled to the far corners of the earth...and stayed in places ranging from palaces (actual titles) to bungalows. I have rarely been disappointed by the level of service, or the attempts made to amend any inept/inferior aspect of my stay in these properties. After all, the folks operating these places are just "human", like you and I...trying to carve-out an earnest living. ;)

jmkst58
we are booked thru dreams for the exact reasons you are and no problems. Our april ressie shows up on starwoods website as well.

Thanks disnurse.....boy these properties sure are hard to get lately........or is this a normal occurance? Strange......

You're welcome jmkst58
I think booking these resorts online at a discount never works. i could get 5 of my 8 nights on the phone but why worry about getting the other three or trying to call every few days when dreamsun. had all 8 nights at one shot.

OK troops does anyone know anything about renovations at the dolphin??? Only 90 days or so to go!!!!!

Disnurse...the discounts are always hard to locate through the resort directly (especially for several days in a row during busy times), most everyone is successful with DU!

The Dolphin has been renovating (always what I hear...), but I'm unsure of the truth behind this! Anyone know for sure? TROYFUS...was your JR. STE on CL "renovated" with the new beds, etc.? I'm 5 1/2 months away from my journey to the land of MAGIC!! ;)

I know this has been asked and answered before, but where can I find out about large conventions at the S/D at the times I'll be going? Last year over Easter there was a large Amway South America convention. It really only effected us 1 night at the Grotto pool, I wasn't really that inconvienced, I loved listening to the entertainment. Just wanted to be prepared for this Easter though.

No. :(
Our Jr. Suite was not renovated. That's ok though. Since I have not experienced the new Heavenly beds yet, I did not feel as though I was missing out. We spent so little time sleeping in them anyway.
;) You know.....the rides.........at the parks!

You may call the Dolphin directly and ask to be connected to the Convention planning department. They definitely should be able to inform you of the conventions planned during your stay (if any), mom23guys2. We also have enjoyed the conventions while we are at the Dolphin, especially the DODGE parties! They ROCK the pool area for hours. There are AlWAYS lots of pool floats left over, and we all play for days with these! :p The Beach club had some great conventions last summer as well, and we walked the halls during our LONG evening walks, chatting with some of the participants. One guy offered us a "new carseat" (boxed, etc.), as it was a giveaway which was "leftover" (I declined, as DD would not enjoy this @ 15 anos!). ;) It was a VERY generous offer, and it was an Eddie Bauer model too! We partook of the food goodies, and also a nice box of candies! Conventions are AWESOME! LOL.

Troyfus...thanks for the update. Now, when the suites are renovated...it will make your next stay all the more SPECIAL! I understand the infrequent BED time, as we also seem to spend more time OUT & ABOUT than in the suite/bed. I get excited just looking out the window...knowing there's a WHOLE WORLD of FUN just outside the doors, and I HOLD THE PASS to ADVENTURE! :)

We are going to WDW for the first time Dec. 20-24/03 with DH,DW, and 2 DD (13, 16). My Canadian Government rate at $129 makes the Swan or Doplhin possible, in spite of our beleagured dollar. I must admit, those Heavenly Beds look nice! I have read through this entire thread (yes, all 47 pages), and am happy that I am an SPG member, and will certainly do something about getting Gold status. The many posts here are very helpful, especially DF99.

However, a couple of questions:

1. Is it best to call S/D directly or SPG to make the ressie?
2. If you make the ressie thru the hotel, will it show up on the SPG site?
3. With SPG, do you get an automatic upgrade? If so, from Standard to what?
4. If I get SPG gold, is that another upgrade?
5. Any other tips for a WDW rookie?

Many thanks to those who can help.

I have family in Lunenburg, Co., Nova Scotia! Oh, Canada! is one of my favorite Anthem's (I also LOVE the Canada Pavillion). So glad you are able to take advantage of the Gov't rate at the S/D resorts. Here are the answers to your questions:

*For the Gov't rate, it's best to call the resort directly. They have more availability with regards to these discounts (OR, if they do Not...please call Dreams unlimited).

*It should. If it does not...please call SPG and give them the reservation number. They should be able to incorporate this into the system, and it should be reflected on their site.

*SPG Platinum gets an "automatic" upgrade to the best deluxe room/jr.suite available. The entry level SPG is not guaranteed an upgrade, but may be given one upon request at check-in (based upon avail).

*SPG GOLD is always a better way to obtain upgrades. It all depends on many factors, including the resort guest occupancy, front desk associate, your personal method of requesting, etc. Many GOLD members have reportedly been given upgrades ranging from deluxe rooms with balconies and preferred theme park views to Club level privs. It's more "chance" than anything. Although, if you make your intentions well-known ahead of your arrival (through the form on the Dolphin/Swan site), your chances for obtaining these upgrades increase dramatically. ;)

*By "Rookie", do you mean you have "Never been to WDW before"? :) Wow...the tips we could give a TRUE ROOKIE would probably be overwhelming, and JAM the boards! LOL. :p Hope these answers help you with your plans. TTFN....DF99;)

Thanks for the info DF99. I called today and booked the Swan at $129 for four nights - still can't believe the rate. I thought DTD Best Western at $99 including breakfast was good.

We live in Ontario, and are as far south as you can go and still be in Canada. In fact we go north to go to Detroit. Most people do not believe me until I show them the map. Many great places in Nova Scotia, but my favourite is Cape Breton area.

That's right, we are WDW "virgins"!! Even my parents have been there three times. So any advice on this borad, or directions to sites for other rookie info would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Hi Dreamflight99. I really loved that ride (Dreamflight). It is to bad they closed it.
I have a question:
[SPG Platinum gets an "automatic" upgrade to the best deluxe room/jr.suite available]
Have you ever received a complimentary upgrade to a two bedroom executive suite?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter