New DL Australia Rumor, what do you think?

IMHO, won't happen.
They said before when they were out here looking at land in Western Sydney, they just wouldnt get the crowd levels that they they get in the US, Asia, Europe.
If they do, imagine it will be sooooooo expensive.

Interesting.

But this is the Wanda group, so it is unlikely that they will be building a Disney theme park. Google them and see. They have been in the news most of this year as setting up theme parks to compete with Disney. Especially in Shanghai.

As much as I would LOVE to see a Disney theme park or even just a Disney resort in Australia, we just don't have the concentrated population or level of tourism for Disney to justify the expense.

Even if we once had the requisite number of tourists to support a Disney theme park or resort on the Gold Coast, new competition from Shanghai Disney has probably quashed any chance of that happening. A lot of tourists from Asia aren't going to travel to Australia to visit a Disneyland if they have one in their backyard in Tokyo, Shanghai or Hong Kong.

I'm with the others that this is not the theme park thats going to come (if any new ones do get built)

Disney is really focused on the emerging Asian market and is investing allot more than original planed into these projects.

but do keep in mind that Disneyland WAS coming to the Gold Coast...but Disney pulled out last minute and built Hong Kong Disney instead.
Land was bought, plans were drawn, everything was a go...then leadership change and Disney corporate wanted to focus on other markets.

Disney also wont build a theme park without having creative control / a large percentage of ownership. They learned their lesson with Oriental Land Trading Company and Tokyo Disney.
At the time Disney did not want to invest their own capital into the Tokyo project (simply the company at the time was struggling) But Tokyo has become the most successful Disney Park. And Disney has said on record not investing the capital to get a larger share of ownership...was a massive mistake.
don't recall the exact figures off the top of my heads...but if they made that investment...it would have turned into billions in profit for the company.

The population in Australia does not excite Disney what so ever. The visitor numbers at Disney parks are high. Australia just could never keep up

here is an article from the Gold Coast Bulletin a few weeks back...that shows Disneyland was coming to the Gold Coast....

http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au...t-place-on-earth/story-fnj94hgr-1227513359485

I agree that it's very unlikely. For all of the reasons mentioned above. I was also sceptical when I read who it was that had supposedly bought land.

If they can't even make the Disney Store work in Australia, we've got no hope of a Disneyland!

I'm with the others that this is not the theme park thats going to come (if any new ones do get built)

Disney is really focused on the emerging Asian market and is investing allot more than original planed into these projects.

but do keep in mind that Disneyland WAS coming to the Gold Coast...but Disney pulled out last minute and built Hong Kong Disney instead.
Land was bought, plans were drawn, everything was a go...then leadership change and Disney corporate wanted to focus on other markets.

Disney also wont build a theme park without having creative control / a large percentage of ownership. They learned their lesson with Oriental Land Trading Company and Tokyo Disney.
At the time Disney did not want to invest their own capital into the Tokyo project (simply the company at the time was struggling) But Tokyo has become the most successful Disney Park. And Disney has said on record not investing the capital to get a larger share of ownership...was a massive mistake.
don't recall the exact figures off the top of my heads...but if they made that investment...it would have turned into billions in profit for the company.

The population in Australia does not excite Disney what so ever. The visitor numbers at Disney parks are high. Australia just could never keep up

here is an article from the Gold Coast Bulletin a few weeks back...that shows Disneyland was coming to the Gold Coast....

http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au...t-place-on-earth/story-fnj94hgr-1227513359485

I think he is lying about in that article and a bit crazy. From listening to jim hill's podcast they said yes to the japan deal so they could get money for epcot to be build. Also at the same time they were going to be building WESTCOT. I doubt there were ever plans for it

I would sooooo love it to be true but I don't buy it :( I do hope it's a decent theme park though, dreamworld and movie world are crap. I would love to have a theme park I enjoy close by. I think a legoland would do very well in Australia even though I don't want a legoland for me, I'd like something more exciting.

I'd love it, but it won't happen. Not enough population, and not enough tourism.

What COULD happen though, is DCL cruising out of Australia. That seems like a more feasible goal than a whole park, at least in the short to medium term. That would do for me. Maybe when they launch new ships, they could refurb and send out one of the older ships, the Magic or Wonder.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter