New DisneyParksBlog on MyMagic+ and FP+

I highly encourage everyone to post their questions/concerns in the comment section of that article so the Disney Brass can actually see all the issues that we have raised here for the past several weeks...

Just curious as I haven't looked. Are they allowing any comments to remain that are anything but glowing?

Just curious as I haven't looked. Are they allowing any comments to remain that are anything but glowing?

I'm assuming not. All the comments so far are about how awesome the new program is going to be, with others wondering how it will affect those with AP's.

I'm sure negative comments won't be allowed.

Obviously any parent would try their best, but kids are very capable of pulling off magic tricks. At least with a KTTW card you slipped it in your bag and didn't need it anymore.

We frequent a Great Wolf Lodge near our home and they have a similar wristband system. We've been going since my son was 2 and have never had a problem. Haven't heard any complaints from others either. It's really nice to have your money, your key, and your admission bundled to a wristband. Very convenient.

If they could bundle your pass into your wristband at check-in and include the discount automatically when applicable - wouldn't that be great?

If they could bundle your pass into your wristband at check-in and include the discount automatically when applicable - wouldn't that be great?

Don't hold your breath on that one.

For those that aren't aware (I wasn't at first), the writer of that blog post, Tom Staggs, is the chairman of Disney Parks and Resorts.

With the old fp system, we got very good at taking it slowly and making it work to fit our needs. We could visit an area of a park, do what we wanted to and grab a fp for a family favorite. We could come back whenever we wanted to to use that fp. No criss crossing the park necessary. We did jump out of bed early to enjoy the relatively quiet morning hours. We also often leave the parks in the early evening to enjoy the pool and usually schedule a resort day. With the free dining promotions and the old flexible fp system, this was one of the most relaxing vacations I take. I am sad to see the changes.

Couldn't agree more!!!!! :thumbsup2

At the moment I don't like it. :( I have been to the world once and we have a trip planned for July with some friends. We had a hard enough time figuring out where we were going to eat dinner 6 months from now. I really don't want to have to plan what rides I am going to go on 6 months from now.

Meh, I'm going to hold off until people actually start using it before passing judgement. Right now, my biggest concern is the tan line that I'll get on my wrist.

And for the record, we only go once every 2-3 years, and I still consider our infrequent trips very relaxing. If an attraction has a shorter wait time, we ride/see it. If not, we move on. We enjoy what we do experience, and don't stress about what we don't get to experience. Makes for a much more enjoyable trip. But that may not fit everybody's idea of a successful Disney trip, either.

Did u see in the article that there will be collectible magic bands with accessories and charms! I saw some of the collectible bands pics but now they r talking about bling!

You be a parent and take measures to ensure the bracelet is not lost.

Wow! That was insensitive! I have 7 kids and trying to keep an eye on all their bracelets would be daunting! Also, when u had a bracelet on one child was it removable? The ones at great wolf lodge work well because they are not removable! But the ones at Disney will be...

I think I will treat them like the Kttw cards....I will carry all the little ones in my backpack....one thing I wish they would offer is a nonremovable one for little kids that way if they get lost CMs can get info on how to contact parents! And kids do get lost from good parents! :hug: so there could be some positives from this system....

Based on the technology they could tell an approximate area of a lost child....the sensor says they went past the castle but not yet by pooh or its a small world etc....could be a positive....the article does say we would have some control over what info Disney has a access to

I am being way to optimistic, or perhaps I am niave, but in reading the NYT aticle I gathered that the old system with paper based tickets would still be in place. Maybe the ticket media changes from paper to a wristband, but the idea that you show up one day buy a ticket and walk in the park, then there will still be FP's available to you in the same manner they are available today. If so then I could very easily believe that as a wristband user who has preplanned you 3 FP's that you would still be able to acquire more during the day, they would just have to fit into the schedule of you pre acquired ones. ie you preplan FP's for three rides first thing in the morning (although why I don't know because they are more valuble later in the day, but hey it's just an example) as soon as the ride time for you last FP is reached, let's say 11:00 am, then you become effectively the same as everyone else who bought a ticket that day and are eligible under the same rules as today to get a FP. On the other hand if you schedule you 3 preplanned ones to sart at say 6:00 pm then the ride time for your last FP gotten the old way have to be prior to 6:00pm. So all you are getting in the new system is a way to preplan three rides a day and then do the rest of the day the same way you do it today.

I will not get caught up in bashing the new system till we see it in all it's glory. The article says the implementation of the system is costing a lot and the only way the Board approved it was because they justified it would increase revenues via increased attendence and increased guest spending. The real kicker is that you are now wearing on you wrist you park admission, room key and credit card. Loss of such will prompt immediate action to stop the finder from using it. Lost kids are easier to find because all a CM has to do is scan the band and it will identify their location and name. Parents looking for kids will get immediate feedback on the childs location.

Regardless good bad or indifferent, it is coming.

If these bands are anything like the cruise bands they would have a hard time getting them off and no one would be losing them. At $50 a pop they would be returned at the end of the trip.

I highly encourage everyone to post their questions/concerns in the comment section of that article so the Disney Brass can actually see all the issues that we have raised here for the past several weeks...

I posted a comment saying I wasn't looking forward to the new system and why and it looks like it was never approved for posting or else they are really slow approving comments.

I posted a lot of this information a while ago and was told by many members of this forum I was a liar..

Just sayin..

This is the FAQ distributed to CMs:

MyMagic+ explained

Making How Guests Experience Disney Parks Even Better: MyMagic+ Walt Disney Parks and Resorts is taking another step forward to evolve how guests experience Disney Parks and is using technology to make it easier than ever before for guests to make the most of their Walt Disney World visit. Many of these efforts fall under the umbrella of MyMagic+, which has the ability to connect nearly all aspects of the guest experience and make it better for everyone, at no additional charge.

" A new website and mobile app called My Disney Experience provides a one-*-stop shop for all things Walt Disney World throughout every phase of a guests vacation. It will enable guests to:
" Get more information on all Walt Disney World Resort has to offer, from resort hotels and attractions to dining and merchandise. " Design the overall experience they want, planning as much or as little as they wish. " Make dining and other reservations and FastPass+ selections. " Connect with family and friends to coordinate plans and share photos.

" Disney FastPass+ service.
Guests will be able to select FastPass+ attractions and entertainment experiences through My Disney Experience before they leave home and make changes on the go.
" For the first time, guests will be able to reserve firework and parade viewing areas, shows, Disney Character Greetings and more, in addition to their favorite attractions.
" For guests who dont know where to start, Disney will recommend FastPicks  a set of three FastPass+ selections that serve as a starting point  and give guests the option to customize their selections.
" Disney FastPass+ service is included with Theme Park admission.

" MagicBand.
Worn on the wrist, the colorful MagicBand is an all-*-in-*-one device that effortlessly connects all the vacation choices guests make online with My Disney Experience.
" Guests can use their MagicBand to enter their Disney Resort hotel room, buy food and merchandise, and enter Walt Disney World theme parks and water parks. Plus, the MagicBand provides FastPass+ access to all the experiences selected and serves as the connection to Disneys PhotoPass .
" The MagicBand is initially available to select Walt Disney World Resort hotel guests and guests who purchase other specific products. Other guests will be able to use their standard ticket to access the benefits of MyMagic+, such as making FastPass+ selections on My Disney Experience.

MyMagic+ FAQ

1. What does 'MyMagic+' provide?
- 'MyMagic+' comprises of 3 main components: My Disney Experience website and smartphone app, FASTPASS+, and MagicBand RFID bracelet. The MagicBand replaces traditional tickets with a bracelet that is worn on the wrist. MagicBand combines all tickets, allowing room entry, park entry, FASTPASS+ attraction entry, PHOTOPASS, and room charging.

2. When will 'MyMagic+' be available?
- The system is in limited testing now, and Disney has said that it should be available to all Walt Disney World guests later in 2013.

3. How much does 'MyMagic+' cost?
- The system will be available at no additional cost. The basic MagicBand RFID bracelet can be upgraded to a customized band, such as a Princess band, for an additional fee. This is only a cosmetic change however, and does not impact the actual experience.

4. Will you have to use 'MyMagic+'?
- No. The system is opt in, and is not required. However, if you do not use 'MyMagic+' you will not be able to use FASTPASS+.

5. Will Annual Passholders be able to use 'MyMagic+'?
Yes, Disney has said that they will be contacting Annual Passholders to provide them with a MagicBand to take part in the program.

6. Will guests have to use a smartphone to use FASTPASS+?
No. Guests will be able to use kiosks inside the parks to choose FASTPASS+ experiences as well as using smartphones or websites.

7. Is the MagicBand bracelet secure?
Yes, just like a normal park ticket, the bracelet just contains a unique ID code. This code identifies guests in the Disney database. No information is stored on the bracelet.

If these bands are anything like the cruise bands they would have a hard time getting them off and no one would be losing them. At $50 a pop they would be returned at the end of the trip.

I'm pretty sure they would not be returned. Why customize and spend $$ on special edition ones if they are merely to be returned?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter