New Contemporary DVC Concept Art!

I thought CR always looked like an airport terminal...and if i hadn't grown up going to it, I don't know if I would like it today...

It has sentimental value for me more than anything, and who can say no to 70s Utopian Revival?

The contemporary resort uses a contemporary design style to blend in with Tomorrowland. Any time spent watching HGTV will clue you in to dozens of shows showing how to make your livingspace more contemporary.

Like most of WDW, it's been neglected. Still the core archetectural features ooze contemporary style.

The existing Contemporary Resort is contemporary to the period when it was designed (late 1960s) and built (1970-71). The building is genuinely dramatic, and it comes across as "imagineered" -- not simply a hotel that you'd see elsewhere. How may other hotels have a monorail going through a massive interior space, and a giant mural by Mary Blair?

By now the Contemporary doesn't look so contemporary any more. That's an opportunity to emphasize the hotel's Mid-Century Modern roots through Mid-Century Modern furniture, fabrics, art, and other design. Essentially, Contemporary Resort should now be a period hotel, with that period being the period when it was designed.

Unfortunately, the addition looks boring. Where's the imagineering? Where's the sense of being in another place and time? The designers clearly didn't want the building to clash with the existing Contemporary Resort, but why does it have to be so bland?

I would like to think we're all looking at pictures of a design that has been discarded in favor of something better -- perhaps a "Space Age" hotel that reflects the period a decade or so before the existing Contemporary Resort. Something like that would still blend with the existing Contemporary Resort, but could provide a real Disney experience.

Unfortunately, the renderings match the plans that were filed with government agencies, so I'm afraid that the boring C-shaped building will become a reality.

So now let me ask you this since you said they demolished the North Garden Wing to expand the Resort, but it might not be for a DVC building or Contemporary Suites (which they already have on the 14th floor and in some South Garden Wing rooms) what else could they be planning to build there?

What I said was it might not be DVC.

I expect that it will be either DVC or suites, or a combination of both. But its also possible it could include some standard rooms as well.

I'm not saying it won't be a DVC. I'm just saying we don't know for sure yet.

However the way you described the condo/apartment complex, is what they are suppost to be.
No, DVC villas are not supposed to remind people of condo/apartment complexes that are in virtually every major city in the country.

Weather this is an official photo that is something we will either choose to believe or not believe... So with the rumours out there it can only be a DVC building.

In the future if any of us hear from Cast Members about future renovations to any Walt Disney World Resort Hotels, let's not post anything about them until WDW makes an official announcment. This way we will all know 100% what is going on & then we can say what we think of the renovations. A good example is all these rumors going around about moving the Concourse Steakhouse, Outer Rim & the Food & Fun Center changing places in the Contemporary

are we now allowed to discuss this rumour, or do you still want everyone to hold off? ;)

Glad to see that this thread was moved 'rumours and news' as that is all that it is at the moment - an unsubstantiated rumour.

For those of you who are excited, dream away, and I'm pleased that you are enjoying the dream. :)

are we now allowed to discuss this rumour, or do you still want everyone to hold off? ;)

Glad to see that this thread was moved 'rumours and news' as that is all that it is at the moment - an unsubstantiated rumour.

For those of you who are excited, dream away, and I'm pleased that you are enjoying the dream. :)
The 2nd quote you got from me was something I said last year and then I realized it was a mistake. So please don't hold that against me.

don't worry I won't ;) just bumped into accidentally - we all grow and learn, especially when we are so young :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter