New Camera? Sounds like a perfect excuse... (Sept 2011) (Completed...Rushed the end)

Love the new installment. Enjoy the settings instructions too :thumbsup2. Even in Tv mode I can't get my f stop that low, 3.5 with my 18-55mm lens is as low as I can go. Night shots are really the thorn in my side :headache:, so I love hints on how to get them to come out.

Not sure how far from Municipal Park you are, but you can get some amazing shots there, and Fairhope Pier has gorgeous sunsets if you can get across the bay!!

Great POTC pics! Great one of that guy with the hairy leg! It's funny that the Imagineers would think to put hair on his leg, such attention to detail, which I guess is what a lot of us love about Disney in the first place :lovestruc

Reading along! I just skimmed the first page looking at photos, I'll go back and read later today..but wanted to say that even the dark sky photos brightened my day, as we are expecting SNOW today!:scared1:

Love the new update and pics! The two things I love most about going to WDW are taking pictures and eating, any great food pics coming up? :rotfl:

I just picked up another p&s camera for my March trip, initial testing of it, I am very pleased. I just hope I do not regret not going back to a camera with interchangeable lenses digital SLR had not come out back when I was into photography years ago so I had to master how to do everything manually.
I was considering one of the Olympus Pen cameras but bought the olympus p&s with 20x zoom since I want the convience of a small light camera.

I will just look at your pics and drool over them for now. I hope it works out for you to head up to Boston and NH. Sounds like a lovely holiday. Sitting here waiting on the NorEaster that is coming to visit us today, where I live we can expect 6-10+ inches :scared1:

Love the new installment. Enjoy the settings instructions too :thumbsup2. Even in Tv mode I can't get my f stop that low, 3.5 with my 18-55mm lens is as low as I can go. Night shots are really the thorn in my side :headache:, so I love hints on how to get them to come out.

Not sure how far from Municipal Park you are, but you can get some amazing shots there, and Fairhope Pier has gorgeous sunsets if you can get across the bay!!

What camera do you have? Sounds like the lens is the same as my kit lens, which is 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6. The 50mm f/1.8 for Canon is around $100, which is very cheap for camera stuff and is a great little lens. Playing with ultra-low depth of field is fun with it too (as is seen later on in the trip). The only pricey lens I picked up so far is that Sigma 8-16mm, the 55-250 was < $200, and the aforementioned 50 was <$100, and the kit, well, that came with the body :p.

I've been down here for almost 3 years, and I still don't know where anything is, outside of the Schillinger, Airport, University area. Hopefully I'll be redoing all that grown up stuff again, like getting my license and a car eventually (within a couple months), so that'll let me explore a bit.

Great POTC pics! Great one of that guy with the hairy leg! It's funny that the Imagineers would think to put hair on his leg, such attention to detail, which I guess is what a lot of us love about Disney in the first place :lovestruc
It's the attention to detail that I love about Disney. Just the little things that no one really notices are there, but make a huge difference :).

Reading along! I just skimmed the first page looking at photos, I'll go back and read later today..but wanted to say that even the dark sky photos brightened my day, as we are expecting SNOW today!:scared1:
I miss the snow, sometimes. It's nice to look at, but the fact it has to be cold kinda brings the desire down. Hopefully I'll have a nice little visit in December/Jan (although, tickets have gone up by $100 since last I looked... I hate our stupid little airport).

Love the new update and pics! The two things I love most about going to WDW are taking pictures and eating, any great food pics coming up? :rotfl:

I just picked up another p&s camera for my March trip, initial testing of it, I am very pleased. I just hope I do not regret not going back to a camera with interchangeable lenses digital SLR had not come out back when I was into photography years ago so I had to master how to do everything manually.
I was considering one of the Olympus Pen cameras but bought the olympus p&s with 20x zoom since I want the convience of a small light camera.

I will just look at your pics and drool over them for now. I hope it works out for you to head up to Boston and NH. Sounds like a lovely holiday. Sitting here waiting on the NorEaster that is coming to visit us today, where I live we can expect 6-10+ inches :scared1:
Thanks! I did take a few (ok, it's a relative few, out of 1400 pictures, a "few" can be upwards of 50+ :p) pictures of the food, and some of them came out pretty good.

I do hear you on the convenience though, even just going through bag check with my camera bag was a bit annoying, especially since the camera pocket opens on the side, so I had to carry it differently until I could re-close it. I did get quite a few comments though (good ones) on the stuff from the bag check people. I did miss the just walking through the no bag line that I did last year though. The functionality of this camera vs the Canon PowerShot I used last year made it well worth it.

And everyone's talking about snow today! My Facebook is lighting up with snow talk too (most of my family and friends are from up that way, all over New England, and a few in upstate NY and western PA). From the looks of the snowfall forecast, my old hometown area (Derry/Manchester, NH) is going to get nailed with 8-12!

It's cold down here this morning as well. it's not even supposed to hit 70! :p

--

In other news, I'm thinking of heading out to the Gulf State Fair this afternoon/evening to take pictures. It's pretty much right up the road from me so a quick cab ride and $8 and I'll be there. I haven't fully decided yet, but it may be a good time. I haven't even taken a single shot since I got home from Disney!

If I do, I'll be sure to post some of the good ones (assuming there are any good ones :p) here for your enjoyment.

It's a Magic Kingdom Morning
(continued...)​

After leaving the Splash Mountain area, we headed toward another, older mountain. This one full of big thunder and has a railroad twisting through it.

We quickly boarded our train, and I held out my camera to make sure that I could take pictures. This would be a test to see just how well I could hold the camera while cruising up and down and all around. This mountainous train ride would be a test of another, much larger one.

As a note, I have no idea who these people were in front of me, yet they'll be prevalent in all these pictures. If they have a problem with it, oh well.

All photos in this series were taken with the Sigma 8-16mm at 8mm. I set it up Av mode (Aperture Priority) with an Aperture of f/11 and fired away.

I did notice that the light water spray at the start messed up some of the pictures (none really seen here) in that it added light spots to the lens which caught the sunlight. If you're shooting on the ride, you may want to wait until AFTER that part to have the camera pointing out. It really ruined quite a few of the photos on here, especially the ones where I tried to catch some flare.

Focus was also difficult, and I ended up trying to focus on the engine of the train, not always to fruition as it's not that steady a ride. I think these came out decent though.

And we're still going...

Tunnel!

And we're coming to a stop...

Whew, that IS the wildest ride in the wilderness! This was my first ever "rollercoaster" back on either our 1991 trip, or the trip before that. I was ~11 or so and a super ride chicken. I loved it! I have since been on a few more intense ones, but this is one that has a special place in my heart.

After we conquered the mountain, I took a blue square break. Keeping the 8-16 on the camera, I popped off a couple shots...
Composition is one thing that I need to learn to take time on. Framing BTMRR with the trees from the path behind it was my attempt at this, as is capturing the path leaded up to the exit (or, leading from the exit).

We now walked down the boardwalk of Frontierland over to Liberty Square. It was time to visit a mansion. Not just any mansion though.

We took the detour through the new queue and it was pretty neat. There was no line though, so not much picture taking time (and Mom was moving on ahead just walking through).

We were soon stopped at the door waiting to get in, and I was able to get some graveside images.

After this series, I figured the doors would open soon, so I swapped back over to the 50mm (an aperture of f/4.0 is NOT good for indoor dark stuff). And we were almost immediately let inside to the first room, where we didn't wait much at all until we moved into the stretching room.

(Ignore this...
Last Photo: pg5 #107)

Great updates, Allan. I don't blame you...I wouldn't go on Splash Mountain with all that expensive equipment either. You got some amazing shots, as always.

What camera do you have? Sounds like the lens is the same as my kit lens, which is 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6. The 50mm f/1.8 for Canon is around $100, which is very cheap for camera stuff and is a great little lens. Playing with ultra-low depth of field is fun with it too (as is seen later on in the trip). The only pricey lens I picked up so far is that Sigma 8-16mm, the 55-250 was < $200, and the aforementioned 50 was <$100, and the kit, well, that came with the body :p.

I've been down here for almost 3 years, and I still don't know where anything is, outside of the Schillinger, Airport, University area. Hopefully I'll be redoing all that grown up stuff again, like getting my license and a car eventually (within a couple months), so that'll let me explore a bit.

I have a Canon Rebel. The 18-55mm is the lens that came with the camera. I bought a Sigma 70-300mm and I love it. I can't remember what I paid for my Sigma :confused:. I love playing with the depth of field; I think that is what makes pictures look amazing. I have been watching some instructional videos and hopefully I will learn more.

Well, welcome to Mobile :goodvibes. If you know University Blvd then you can get to the park easily. You just go north on University to Ziegler, turn right onto Ziegler and the park(also called Langan Park) is on the right about 1/4 to 1/2 mile after you take the right hand turn. There are walking paths with little wooden bridges, ducks galore, flowers, a lake, and it is within walking distance to the Mobile Botanical Gardens and the Mobile Museum of Art. It is hard not having a car around here because our mass transit system isn't the greatest, especially if you live outside the city limits.

Love your latest update too. The blur of the mountain and the sharpness of the train is great :thumbsup2. Looks like you were panning, but for the life of me I don't know how you could pan while actually being part of the moving object.......lol.
This shot!

Great BTMR pics, I have always loved that ride! I love the HM too. I haven't seen the new queue yet, when we went last time we went through the regular line because it was so much shorter (and seemed easier to navigate with the 2 scooters we had)

Great updates, Allan. I don't blame you...I wouldn't go on Splash Mountain with all that expensive equipment either. You got some amazing shots, as always.
Thanks Kathy. I really want to ride it one of these days, but my tendency to not want to get wet really gets in the way. Maybe I should go on an early Feb trip or something, when it's open, but the extra cannons are off...

I have a Canon Rebel. The 18-55mm is the lens that came with the camera. I bought a Sigma 70-300mm and I love it. I can't remember what I paid for my Sigma :confused:. I love playing with the depth of field; I think that is what makes pictures look amazing. I have been watching some instructional videos and hopefully I will learn more.

Well, welcome to Mobile :goodvibes. If you know University Blvd then you can get to the park easily. You just go north on University to Ziegler, turn right onto Ziegler and the park(also called Langan Park) is on the right about 1/4 to 1/2 mile after you take the right hand turn. There are walking paths with little wooden bridges, ducks galore, flowers, a lake, and it is within walking distance to the Mobile Botanical Gardens and the Mobile Museum of Art. It is hard not having a car around here because our mass transit system isn't the greatest, especially if you live outside the city limits.

Love your latest update too. The blur of the mountain and the sharpness of the train is great :thumbsup2. Looks like you were panning, but for the life of me I don't know how you could pan while actually being part of the moving object.......lol.
This shot!
So the camera is just like mine then, either same model or different, shouldn't matter much. That 50mm f/1.8 is nice and cheap and works great on dark rides. Though, if I had the extra money, I would have spring for the 1.4, or even the Sigma 35 f/1.4 (or 30, something like that) for that extra bit of aperture. Oh well, maybe next time.

The 70-300 is something I'd like to pick up too, I actually found myself using my long lens more than the other 3 lenses on the trip, and not just in AK. So a better quality long zoom is most certainly in the plans. I did do a lot of subject isolation shots, flowers and other stuff as that's my comfort zone (and where I think I excel at). I was a bit surprised though, as I had it pounded into my head that a long lens was really only useful at AK (where it most certainly is). It took half the trip to wrap my head around going long instead of wide. I suppose, if I wasn't traveling alone and wanted shots of my traveling party, that may also make a bit of a difference though.

One of those isolated subject shots from the last day. I'm super proud of this one, even though much of it was luck. The focus and DOF is spot on and very little post work had to be done. It is one of them that I shot at 250mm.

So that's what that park is called. I work at the USA Tech & Research park, so our building is across the street that takes you to the art museum. So, I'm basically right there :p. In fact, we drive by it when we go to Five Guys or Hibachi Express for lunch (this is the why I know what I know about my Mobile Geography). Yellow cab isn't too bad at getting around though, and they know me quite well so usually are good about picking me up quickly :p. I do live right at Airport and Foreman (I <3 that Circle K, I'm in there every day :p), so it's not that far out of my neighborhood.

As far as the BTMRR, it's actually very simple. Since the ride is moving (quickly at times), I just set the aperture and ISO (ISO around 100 for these), let the meter pick my shutter speed (shot it at f/11 to insure slightly slower times) and shot away. The exposures themselves range from 1/25 (the one you reposted) all the way up to about 1/160. The slower times it's a bit more tricky to hold the camera steady, but out of the few I got down there, a couple came out good. Obviously, the longer the exposure, the better the effect. I did the same on Everest as you'll see later on. I really like how they turned out, as they really convey the sense of motion rather than just a static shot.

Great BTMR pics, I have always loved that ride! I love the HM too. I haven't seen the new queue yet, when we went last time we went through the regular line because it was so much shorter (and seemed easier to navigate with the 2 scooters we had)
Thanks :). It was one of the self-made goals I set for myself, which I immediately forgot to even reference the entire time I was down there. I remembered some, others, not so much (I did hit the photo count ones though :p, but day 2 I had shot over 600!)

The HM line is cute, but it's not really that exciting. If it's slow, it's worth a quick run through, but I'd much rather take the shorter route if the line's longer.

---

In other news, I didn't get out to the fair. I fell asleep yesterday after lunch and woke up around 6pm (to be fair, it wasn't right after lunch, it was around 2pm and I wanted to head out by 3-4pm). And today, I just didn't bother :(. Oh well, maybe next year. I think I will hit up that park on Saturday morning though, I really gotta get out shooting some more.

I should be able to toss another update tomorrow. If I don't fall asleep after work (and considering it's 1:30am right now... that's a pretty big if..)

So the camera is just like mine then, either same model or different, shouldn't matter much. That 50mm f/1.8 is nice and cheap and works great on dark rides. Though, if I had the extra money, I would have spring for the 1.4, or even the Sigma 35 f/1.4 (or 30, something like that) for that extra bit of aperture. Oh well, maybe next time.

The 70-300 is something I'd like to pick up too, I actually found myself using my long lens more than the other 3 lenses on the trip, and not just in AK. So a better quality long zoom is most certainly in the plans. I did do a lot of subject isolation shots, flowers and other stuff as that's my comfort zone (and where I think I excel at). I was a bit surprised though, as I had it pounded into my head that a long lens was really only useful at AK (where it most certainly is). It took half the trip to wrap my head around going long instead of wide. I suppose, if I wasn't traveling alone and wanted shots of my traveling party, that may also make a bit of a difference though.

One of those isolated subject shots from the last day. I'm super proud of this one, even though much of it was luck. The focus and DOF is spot on and very little post work had to be done. It is one of them that I shot at 250mm.

So that's what that park is called. I work at the USA Tech & Research park, so our building is across the street that takes you to the art museum. So, I'm basically right there :p. In fact, we drive by it when we go to Five Guys or Hibachi Express for lunch (this is the why I know what I know about my Mobile Geography). Yellow cab isn't too bad at getting around though, and they know me quite well so usually are good about picking me up quickly :p. I do live right at Airport and Foreman (I <3 that Circle K, I'm in there every day :p), so it's not that far out of my neighborhood.

As far as the BTMRR, it's actually very simple. Since the ride is moving (quickly at times), I just set the aperture and ISO (ISO around 100 for these), let the meter pick my shutter speed (shot it at f/11 to insure slightly slower times) and shot away. The exposures themselves range from 1/25 (the one you reposted) all the way up to about 1/160. The slower times it's a bit more tricky to hold the camera steady, but out of the few I got down there, a couple came out good. Obviously, the longer the exposure, the better the effect. I did the same on Everest as you'll see later on. I really like how they turned out, as they really convey the sense of motion rather than just a static shot.

I am going to have to look at the Abe's of Maine sight for that 50mm lens. I have ordered all of my stuff from them and so far they have been excellent.

I know the apartments you are talking about, I lived there years ago. Really is a good location; not to far out, but not right in the middle of super heavy traffic either. Providence Hospital has their flower show once a year and it is really pretty.

I will have to try some shots next time I am on BTM. I am not a big roller coaster fan, but I LOVE BTM and ride it as often as I can each trip. I made a video on TT last year, but it turned out way too shaky. I can see why you like that picture so much, it is a great picture. You can see the details with a lot of clarity. My zoom lens is my favorite by far. I use it to take most of my pictures as I like my subject to be larger than life........lol.

Great pictures on BTMMR! They turned out wonderful. I am inspired and I will try to take some day time pictures on the ride in December. I know they won't turn out like that, but a girl can try. Right?

Your statue picture is also excellent!

And up this TR goes! Thanks to OhMari for bringing it back to the land of the living TRs!

On that note, I'm not quite ready to toss an update, mainly because the update I have planned is all typed up and ready to go... at home. So, I will update it tonight!

I am going through all the photos from this trip and redoing them via Lightroom as well as culling many more. What was once a 1400 picture TR will likely drop below 1000 (hopefully, I've only gone through about 200 of them...) This will be a long, slow process as I am too lazy and get too distracted to sit there for too long :p

At any rate, just moving this TR along and announcing that it will continue to the conclusion that has already happened! (I even wrote up an entire outline of it! So if I get real lazy, I'll just post that :p)

WeLcome Back!
Thanks! It's good to be back.

It's Allan and he's back! Good to see you again!
Thanks Lisa! Great to see you too. Hope all is going well in your neck of the woods :).

---

I don't know why I always disappear over the holidays. It's not the holidays itself either, as I don't do much (though, I DID go to NJ, Boston, Vermont, and NH this year over them :)). One of these days, that won't happen....

...or I'll at least finish the TR first :p.

---

The trip report sub-chapter I'm about to post was mostly written before I randomly disappeared. Then I came back and started finishing it up. The voice changes a bit midway through, but it works. This will also be the last post before any reworked photos come in.

It's Still a Magic Kingdom Morning?

As we entered the mansion, we were presented with the former (and current) resident. Mr. Gracey was kind enough to display his favorite portraits, though not all was what it seemed. Apparently the room got bigger... or the pictures did, or it was all a trick!

We soon hopped aboard the Doom Buggies and were off on a tour of the "house". I had my camera out with the nifty 50 as explained earlier, and tried to get pictures. Unfortunately, due to an unfortunate combination of my poor eyesight and it being a bit too dark for the sensor to focus, not many came out (and I didn't even attempt that many). I did get a few though...

There's a common theme here. They are all the more brightly lit objects. That isn't coincidence... essentially that is all I could get focus on, and even these won't hold up blown up much (if any) higher than you see here.

After the mansion tour, we headed off for some good ol' Americana. I can't remember if we did this last year or not, but I know I didn't do it with Beth & Emily. I'm thinking we did last year, but honestly, I don't remember. I know I didn't take pictures like I did this time. Unfortunately, once again my inexperience shot me down. I did get 2 that I was able to save...

Both of these needed heavy processing to get them to this point. They were WAY blown out. My metering was pretty far off and I could only recover so much. For anyone thinking about shooting here, either utilize spot metering, or at least heavily bracket down a stop or two. The larger dark areas off to the sides of the lit subject throw off any wider metering by a lot.

Disclaimer: Here starts writing that I'm doing now, everything previous to this was before I randomly disappeared. Tone and such may change! I'm also going to be a bit pickier about the photos I show, as I've learned a bit since this trip. I also may miss a thing or two, since it's much harder to remember the details after so long. Maybe I should have taken notes :(

So, after we hung out with the presidents of both past and present, I needed a break and I took one. The obligatory end-of-September crane was out in force hanging Christmas lights...

Yeah, I had tosssed the Sigma 8-16mm back on at this point.​

After that was taken care of, it was time for a little boat ride. Now, Mom questioned me about taking pictures on here, stating that I've seen this enough and probably didn't need any photos. What does she know? (Well, other than a lot...but I mean on this particular subject. Protip: a photographer NEVER has enough photos of anything!)

Sing along with me now...
The UWA (Ultra Wide Angle... the Sigma 8-16mm lens. I shortened it to UWA to save typing and reading. Of course, this explination makes it longer to type and read, so maybe just keeping it as the Sigma 8-16mm would have sufficed.) Ahem... The UWA was still on the camera, so I took some queue shots. Why not?

We finally got on our boat. The line wasn't really long, but I can't remember how long it actually took, 5-10 minutes probably. Of course, since I'm trying to remember from about 7 months ago, it's tricky (It's tricky to rock a rhyme, to rock a rhyme that's right on time, it's tricky...). And after that, we're going to take a short break. I promise it'll be less than 6 months before my next installment... especially since I'm going to continue to write.

...After I reprocess and select the remaining shots... Of which there are roughly 1292 to sort through :( (As a note, from here on out, not quite from above on out, I am being much more selective. Sorry. I'm pretty sure I promised to show my bads... but as a rule, I no longer show my bads, only my good ones... but I'll at least knock it a step down to "Acceptable" for you who have waited so long!)

Oh yeah, and you can stop singing, since we haven't started yet.

However, by the time I post this. I will have likely already done it. So it's not like YOU have to wait longer! (as a note... I am not done with them all yet (though I've finished up though day 3 and some select groups after that) ... which means it is going to make you wait :p maybe)

Welcome back; we've missed you.

Great update and wonderful photos of the Mansion and Hall of Presidents.

I may not see any further updates until the weekend (off to Dubuque, Iowa, tomorrow to see our son and future daughter-in-law.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter