New boarding time stuff...?

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by moonvxn, Sep 25, 2012.

1. moonvxn

moonvxn Mouseketeer

Hi all- :wave2:
    we haven't cruised since Jan 2011 on the Magic. We just booked super last minute (Sunday) and we leave on Sat. we saw this new embarkation stuff with check-in times. What is that about? :confused3 Ours says for 2:30!!?? Do we really have to wait that long to go to the port??? What if we get there a little bit before that? We normally spend the night before at a hotel but this time (I know huge no no but being so last minute we are doing what we can) we are just flying down that morning. What does that mean? Do we have to hang around outside until we can go in? Enlighten me please!

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. PrincessShmoo

PrincessShmoo DIS Veteran

When you complete your online checkin (it looks like it was done at the time of booking, in you case) you select a Port Arrival Time. This policy was started with the advent of the larger ships. It helps keep the numbers inside the terminal lower, therefore keeping the fire marshall happy.

I see you're on the Magic. The PAT was instituted for Port Canaveral, so I'm not sure how it works at Galveston. Most of the other ports (Seattle, Los Angeles, NY) that had the smaller (Magic & Wonder) ships the PAT wasn't quite as critical. I would plan on arriving about 12:30-1:00. That's usually when there is no line to enter the terminal at PC. At checkin you receive an actual boarding number that they will announce for boarding.

:cutie:

4. lbgraves

lbgraves Little Cinderella's Mommy

Since you are flying in will you be using DCL transfers? If so, that makes the PAT a moot point and you are able to check in whenever the DCL transfer gets to the port.

5. moonvxn

moonvxn Mouseketeer

Hi Lisa!!!! No, we won't be using dcl transfers. We're doing a one way rental. Is the boarding so crazy for the Fantasy? It kind of freaked me out that it was such a late time...

We're so late in booking....certainly won't be the same as our cruise in jan of 2011 ;) with no FE etc but we had to get the heck out of here!!! the last few weeks have been HORRIBLE. Best thing to do??? TAKE A DISNEY CRUISE!!!!:rotfl2:

:goodvibes
    Chesha

6. kcashner

kcashner DIS Veteran

No, boarding is not "that" crazy...at least not on our cruise. Bottom line, the terminal is not big enough to allow for the necessary CMs and 4000 guests to be in compliance with the fire regulations. Thus, they cannot have everyone hit the terminal at 11:00.

SO, you now choose a "boarding time" which is really a "terminal arrival time." If you arrive before your scheduled time, you MAY be asked to wait a few minutes before being allowed into the terminal. I have never heard of anyone being kept waiting more than 15-20 minutes. If you arrive after boarding starts (11:45 or a bit before), you will be allowed into the terminal when you arrive. They no longer have an issue with overcrowding as people are moving rapidly onto the ship (and out of the terminal.) When the large numbers of people holding low boarding pass numbers are on board, DCL will announce "open boarding," meaning that you can get on now as soon as you are checked in, regardless of your boarding pass number. This usually happens around 12:30-1:00. Prior to that time, you have to wait until your boarding pass number is called.

Best time to arrive--12:30. You will enter the terminal and the lines will be minimal. Open boarding will be called shortly after you check in. If you wait till 1:30, the bus traffic from WDW will start to arrive....not as nice. If I has a port arrival time of 2:30, I'd show up at 12:30!

7. bobbie0253

bobbie0253 Mouseketeer

Thank you for asking this...and for the responses. We haven't sailed Disney in a few years and I was confused also :)

8. moonvxn

moonvxn Mouseketeer

:goodvibes Looks like we're sailing with you!! :cool1: