new blog: Supreme Court Ends Attempt to Force Segway Use at Walt Disney World

Discussion in 'disABILITIES!' started by WebmasterLeah, Apr 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WebmasterLeah

WebmasterLeah Administrator Administrator Moderator

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. kevschickee

kevschickee DIS Veteran

I don't understand why someone has to use a Segway. Why not a wheel chair or ecv?

4. StitchesGr8Fan

StitchesGr8Fan DIS Veteran

I guess some disabilities make it hard to stay in a sitting position. At least that is one of the claims in an early lawsuit.

5. kevschickee

kevschickee DIS Veteran

We live in such a sue happy country it's awful.

6. wiigirl

wiigirl DIS Veteran

I guess a segway increases mobility.

7. SteveMouse

SteveMouse DIS Veteran

There are some disabilities,like fibrodysplasia ossification progressiva (www.ifopa.org) that can immobilize a person in other than a seated position. A regular wheelchair won't work for those folks, and sanding wheelchairs can run into the tens of thousands of dollars.

8. kevschickee

kevschickee DIS Veteran

But to expect a private company to change their safety measures is a bit much. I have seen segways being handled by people that aren't so careful and it isn't a situation I want to be in again. Look at one of the creators he accidentally went off a cliff into water on one. I can't blame disney for not wanting them there.

9. StitchesGr8Fan

StitchesGr8Fan DIS Veteran

I remember one of the arguments was that ECV's were just as dangerous as as Segway, they can run in to people. That is true. However, if you take your hand or foot off the throttle, an ECV stops moving. A Segway is constantly in motion. You stop it by distributing your weight just so in order to keep it from going forward and backward. If you watch someone on a Segway when they are not moving, you will see the Segway move back and forth just a bit and the muscles in the legs of the drivers flexing as they adjust their weight to keep it still. It is much easier for a standard Segway to get away from you, as I learned on the Segway tour. You even have to be careful stepping off the Segway because it will bolt forward when you shift your weight to one leg to put the other on the ground.

One of the people who wanted to bring a Segway in to the park had a customized Segway. I don't believe he had control of his legs so his Segway had a hand throttle. He was also strapped in to it, in a standing position. I want to say it had a 3rd wheel behind him to support him and keep the Segway upright since he couldn't use his legs for balance. He said it was uncomfortable and unsafe for him to be sitting all day in an ECV or wheelchair due to his condition.

10. KPeveler

KPeveler Moderator Moderator

One if the claims in the initial lawsuit said it was "demeaning" to have to use a wheelchair. Needless to say the full time wheelchair users here were less than sympathetic after hearing this.

Also much of the argument was about "preferred" devices whether they were approved medical devices or not. Bill Sears pointed out he preferred his Toyota Camry to his chair so he would "prefer' to drive that down main street usa.

Little argument was made about medical necessity and I think that was their downfall. Disney DOES allow standing devices in the parks but I bbelieve they must have 4 wheels on the ground. Saw one last week in DL myself. Now I want them.

11. FortForever

FortForever Disney since Day 1

Oh my gosh, this made me :rotfl2:

12. kevschickee

kevschickee DIS Veteran

Let's ask Jimi Heseleden what he thinks of the segway.

13. Carnator

Carnator Mouseketeer

Rather drive his car down main street!!!

Been a rough week.. I needed a good laugh.

14. KPeveler

KPeveler Moderator Moderator

Since this ended with a laugh, this is a good place to end the thread. There have been endless debates on this topic for years, and they never end well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.