New Blog: Starbucks to Replace the Main Street Bakery at Magic Kingdom

Discussion in 'Disney Restaurants' started by *NikkiBell*, Nov 9, 2012.

1. donemt

donemt Earning My Ears

THey are closing the Fountain View at Epcot and putting in a Starbucks there too!!

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. thumbalyna

thumbalyna DIS Veteran

They did the McDonald's a few years back it was in animal kingdom.

4. Victoria3

Victoria3 DIS Veteran

I'm so excited that they finally annouced dates/locations just wish they were opening sooner. :thumbsup2

5. hygienejean

hygienejean Diser since 2002!

This is extremely disappointing news. Very sad that the unique MSB will be replaced by an everyday Starbucks.... :(

6. mollygirl13

mollygirl13 DIS Veteran

You have no idea just how sad my husband and I are to hear this news. :sad2:

Now a little bit of the outside world is creeping it way into my fantasy world and I don't like it one bit. :sad:

7. thumbalyna

thumbalyna DIS Veteran

Agreed 100%

8. t_daniels

t_daniels <font color=deeppink>They'll NEVER be replaced<br>

Exactly. This is a good opportunity to really support the Joffreys carts. Maybe if WDW sees more money going to them....?

9. emacosta1

emacosta1 Earning My Ears

As long as I can get my 3 inch thick rice krispies and yummy pastries to take back for a.midnight snack I wont go postal on the cute little starbucks girl lol

10. liquidsky88

liquidsky88 There's a mouse in the house!

Why in the world would Disney replace an iconic bakery with a commercial coffee shop? It destroys the magic you get walking down Main Street. My wife and I have always made this our first stop every year we go. I get selling Starbucks coffee in the bakery, but changing the name too? What's Disney have in store for us next, Cosmic Ray's Starlight Cafe changes to Applebees?:confused3

11. vacationer1954

vacationer1954 DIS Veteran

The info I read this morning from folks who have seen what they did at Disneyland is that they're not really replacing an iconic bakery with a commercial coffee shop. All they're doing is rehabbing the bakery as they would have otherwise, and when it reopens it'll serve better coffee.

12. frozone

frozone Mouseketeer

Same here! :cheer2:

13. dillydilly

dillydilly Mouseketeer

Agree! Vote with your dollars---I do on a daily basis. It was really hard to do at first, actually. I kept wanting to just give in and settle for what was convenient and available at the time. I'll keep walking instead of stopping at the Main Street Bakery. It think it will be popular as well, unfortunately.

14. goofyintoronto

goofyintoronto I really wanted to like it, but I didnt.

15. Kennywife

Kennywife Sometimes miracles take a little time

I don't have any problem with S Bucks in general. In fact, I love S Bucks and am a regular customer. However, it doesn't match the theme of Main Street. I don't care if others say there is corporate branding already. Mainly what I've seen is Edy's, Coke, and Smuckers. All of which remind me of iconic images of Americana. S Bucks doesn't. It reminds me of technology, Seattle grunge music, and people writing on their laptops drinking coffee. Is that in the least bit nostalgic? No, it's not and it doesn't match Main Street. This area should not be modernized. It should stay classic and retro.

Now the Epcot location is fine because Epcot is more about modernization. S Bucks fits the theme. That's my beef.

16. twinklebug

twinklebug Next Life: Imagineer

The responses on the Disney blog are for the most part negative. I responded myself, kept it very civil, but the moderator on the disneyblog opted not to post my response - I suspect the negatives are so overwhelming they've stopped posting most of them. I really hope the Disney folk are listening.

I do feel the Main Street Bakery badly needed a refurbishment. The seating was a mess and there was too much unused open space near the circular cooler that could have been put to better use. It also needs a draw to keep the money flowing all day long and adding some decent coffee drinks there makes a lot of sense.

What I worry about is that it will become a homogenized bakery location like all the other spots. My family is very very picky about where we eat outside of the villa. The Bakery is one of the few eating spots we can all agree on. I have my fingers crossed they don't ruin it.

As for the Fountianview - I fear the worst, but hope for the best. Again, it is one of the few spots my kids will sit and enjoy the location with me.

17. freshmanjs

freshmanjs DIS Veteran

i'm surprised to read this. if you are very picky about food, surely you must recognize that the baked goods at MSB are subpar and the coffee is terrible.

18. AlohaAnnie

AlohaAnnie DIS Veteran

I am excited! I can't wait to see the finished product. :cheer2:

19. happy2012

happy2012 ♫ ♪There's a great big beautiful tomorrow Shinin'

My 13 year old niece said Walt is rolling over in his grave. My sister is disappointed saying everything on MS is turn of the century & that is gonna take away the magic. DH & I are gonna be sad when we can't get our ice cream cookie sandwich. This news is HORRIBLE!!!!! Why can't MSB just SERVE starbucks coffee & call it a day!!!??? This is worse than the McDonald's fry wagon they used to have.

Now I can get Starbucks @ Cedar Point in OH,an Target store,Right next to the Sunoco gas station up the road & on Main Street @ MK.:scared::scared::scared::scared::scared:

Nightmare!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kona is 100x better anyway.

20. happy2012

happy2012 ♫ ♪There's a great big beautiful tomorrow Shinin'

& P.S. I'd be all for Starbucks @WDW but absolutely NOT on MS @ MK!!! NO! NO! NO!!

21. maggiemoos

maggiemoos Mouseketeer

As a Starbucks fan and a coffee fan in general :worship: I have mixed feelings about this. When I was there in July, I took Starbucks Iced Coffee and just mixed it in my water bottle every morning, in order to have a morning jolt of caffeine. That worked for me. Plus the idea of hot coffee in hot weather makes me nauseous. Leave Starbucks brand stuff for the airport, when we have to return to the real world. It will be interesting to see how this all works out.