new blog: Guest Assistance Cards Vs. FastPass+

I do understand what you are saying and no I do not think you are stupid :cutie:

It would be illegal to require any kind of 'proof' of disability. The GAC is not DME or a prescription; physicians cannot write for it, nor would I suspect they be very eager to.

I suspect we will continue to have to rely on the kindness and common sense of strangers. And I truly believe that those who abuse the system are a very small minority.

It is ILLEGAL to ask for a proof of disability for providing equal accommodations to a person with a disability. Period, end of story.

No, not the end of story. There must be some reason why it was made that way, and if abuse of this is happening, then the law can be changed. ADA was made to prevent discrimination due to a disability. There have been various changes in ADA legislation, so the story has not ended. Just think of the Segway situation!

If the abuse is by the minority, then why do so many people complain about it? I have never had a problem when standing in line. I have never seen anyone I thought was abusing the system, but I go to the parks a lot and people on occassion ask me about it, but since I don't use a GAC, I don't know how it works.

I also see a lot of people complain about overseas tour groups, and I have never had a problem with them either.

I have only ever witnessed a few particular people (definitely from America) making trouble for themselves, and they have always been stopped by security.

I feel like either people are blowing the situation out of porportion, or the problem is being ignored by people who could actually do something about the situation.

No, not the end of story. There must be some reason why it was made that way, and if abuse of this is happening, then the law can be changed. ADA was made to prevent discrimination due to a disability. There have been various changes in ADA legislation, so the story has not ended. Just think of the Segway situation!

Federal law is not going to change over the abuse of GAC cards. :p

What is the Segway situation? That's a story I haven't heard!

If the abuse is by the minority, then why do so many people complain about it? I have never had a problem when standing in line. I have never seen anyone I thought was abusing the system, but I go to the parks a lot and people on occassion ask me about it, but since I don't use a GAC, I don't know how it works.

I also see a lot of people complain about overseas tour groups, and I have never had a problem with them either.

I have only ever witnessed a few particular people (definitely from America) making trouble for themselves, and they have always been stopped by security.

I feel like either people are blowing the situation out of porportion, or it's being the problem is being ignored by people who could actually do something about the situation.

I think it's human nature. When something unpleasant happens or we perceive in some way that we are being mistreated, that's what sticks in our craw. I might drive the same 10 miles of highway to work on autopilot every morning, but the trip I'll remember is the one where that yahoo cut me off! Yeah! That guy! DANGEROUS ROAD! I take my life in my hands every morning! Unreal!

See what I mean? :P

There was a class action suit against Disney because folks weren't allowed to use Segways or other two-wheeled motorized vehicles as mobility aids. Disney said it was not safe to allow Segways to be used as mobility aids. It went back and forth through appeals several times.

In the end the Department of Justice sided with Disney:
http://www.wdwinfo.com/news/General...als_Court_Upholds_Disney_s_Ban_on_Segways.htm

There was a class action suit against Disney because folks weren't allowed to use Segways or other two-wheeled motorized vehicles as mobility aids. Disney said it was not safe to allow Segways to be used as mobility aids. It went back and forth through appeals several times.

In the end the Department of Justice sided with Disney:
http://www.wdwinfo.com/news/General...als_Court_Upholds_Disney_s_Ban_on_Segways.htm

Oh wow. Yeah, I can definitely see Disney's POV on that. Segways can be precarious for a typically abled person, let alone a person with perhaps mobility or balance issues. Can you imagine getting stuck in one of the rope dropes trying to stay upright on a Segway :crowded:

This would not work because people have reported that they or family members went to the doctor and got a note when they had no disability. Unfortunately, there are dishonest physicians out there!!!! Also, why should I have to pay another copay to see my doctor when I want to go to WDW--I have a team of doctors and they get enough of my money as it is. And NO they wouldn't just write a letter without my coming in to see them.

I saw it. I really wish people (in this case disunplugged, not you) wouldn't bring up topics when nothings actually been published about how the subject at hand is going to work. They're stirring up controversy just for the sake of doing it. The whole discussion is going to become one huge bash against those of use who need GACs rather than any kind of real discussion on the changes to come or even how they really work today.

It's articles like this that make it hard on those of us who truly need the GAC.

Thinking about it more and more, I would ask that the article be pulled down or at bare minimum reworded to not make people think that the GACs provide faster access, they don't and those of us that need them know that.

I agree with the quoted users that the tone and message of this blog is negative and should at least be modified. I know the mods of this forum don't control the blog but who can we contact about our concerns? I read the blog before I read this thread, but felt those concerns before finding this thread (and was relieved to know I wasn't the only one). Although I am sure GAC abuse does occur (and I am on the side that would have no problem presenting evidence of a disability even though the ADA currently prohibits that) I am not sure that abuse is as "rampant" as implied in the blog. At the very least the DisUnplugged people should allow a rebuttal blog from someone who does use a GAC to set the record straight. Otherwise, I think this blog just feeds into that population that thinks everyone who uses a GAC is a cheater.

I am going to combine this with an existing thread about the blog that brought this discussion up.
The background and further information is in that thread.

But, just a few things -
In many states, special security prescription pads are only use for schedule 2 and 3 drugs. With the use of electronic health records, many written prescriptions are going away. Not all security prescription pads are exactly the same, so CMs would not necessarily be able to recognize them.

A GAC is not something that a doctor can order - WDW or any other facility or organization has no requirement to follow the doctor's order. I have seen doctors orders people have had their doctor write - most said thing like "my patient can't wait in lines. Please expidate entry without waiting."

As piper mentioned, much of the actual abuse occurs when people actually got a note from their doctor when they did not have a disability - and the doctor knew they did not have one (not just where someone looks and says, "I think this person is abusing.")

In the early days of this board, many people were bringing doctors letters or prescriptions, which they were charged for. The patient had to pick up the charge because insurance won't - it would actually be insurance fraud to bill insurance for just writing a letter or prescription for something that doesn't require one. (Or for a visit that is not medically necessary).

Most GACs are actually for things like avoiding stairs, front row seating in shows, using a stroller as a wheelchair - not what people think is happening.

It would be discriminatory to require a GAC or a doctors letter to bring a wheelchair or othe mobility device in lines. The ADA does say that people cannot be required to provide proof of disability for things like that.

Many DIS posters believe that anyone using a wheelchair or ECV goes to the front of lines. This is not true at all - most attractions are accessible by using the regular line and waiting with all the other guests.

I agree with the quoted users that the tone and message of this blog is negative and should at least be modified. I know the mods of this forum don't control the blog but who can we contact about our concerns? I read the blog before I read this thread, but felt those concerns before finding this thread (and was relieved to know I wasn't the only one). Although I am sure GAC abuse does occur (and I am on the side that would have no problem presenting evidence of a disability even though the ADA currently prohibits that) I am not sure that abuse is as "rampant" as implied in the blog. At the very least the DisUnplugged people should allow a rebuttal blog from someone who does use a GAC to set the record straight. Otherwise, I think this blog just feeds into that population that thinks everyone who uses a GAC is a cheater.
Several people have posted on the comments area of that blog indicating their objections to information in it. The author responded to some of the comments and indicated he was not planning on making any revisions.
My suggestion would be to post comments to the blog if you want to add information.

There is indeed a reason for this. Disneyland used to require proof. Well, an older last was unaware of this. This was back in the days of SAPs, well before the current GAC system. She didn't have problems with walking, but did have some issues maneuvering the loop backs in the queues. She went on Indiana Jones (note this was also before FP). She fell down, it was a very busy day and people literally walked on her. Causing her to have to go to the hospital. I have heard mixed reports as to what happened from there from she went into Critical care to she passed always. But regardless, the courts ordered Disney to sop requiring proof.

The thory at the time was that the SAPs provided a benefit not available to others, so proof could be required. Like I said, the courts deemed that it was equal access.

This is why proof cannot be required. Some other theme parks have tried to continue to require proof, with similar results. So it is now clearly
Spelled out in the law.

Several people have posted on the comments area of that blog indicating their objections to information in it. The author responded to some of the comments and indicated he was not planning on making any revisions.
My suggestion would be to post comments to the blog if you want to add information.

I did leave a couple posts.

Did the author ever clarifiy exactly what battle he was trying to start?

Federal law may not change, but the GAC may change. Disney does not need to offer the GAC, and if it can come up with another way to provide a chance for equal access it can get rid of the GAC if it wants to.

As far as I can find, there is no part of the ADA that states that if someone can't wait in a line then they have to be given immediate or expedited access. Actually, Sec 12182(b)(1)(A)(ii) addresses the exact opposite. It can be deemed illegal to offer a service to the disabled that is not offered to the general public.

This may belong in a different thread (?)

There has been a lot of fuss over GAC abuse, and I know that people who really need it are suffering the most from the abuse. I had an idea that all theme parks could utilize to help cut down on abusers, but it may be a stupid idea, so no one yell at me if it was an idiotic idea. Just politely tell me.

I saw this as a reason why castmembers can't ask for proof of a disability:

"According to the Americans with Disabilities Act, legally Disney cannot ask anyone what their disability is. Even if they were able to though, CM’s are not doctors or medical personnel and couldn’t be expected to know or evaluate conditions that guests might have, nor should they. If they asked and a guest told them they had Lupus, (for example) and the CM never heard of it, would they then have to then explain what that is and how it effects them? And how much would it really help matters? If someone is going to abuse a GAC card, if they need to make up something to tell a CM they would."

I understand castmembers not being physcians, but they could recognize special paper that only a physician would have. I know when you need a schedule 2 or 3 drug, the prescription must be on special paper. If the use of this paper or something similiar could be extended to being used for proof needing a GAC, then all the castmember would need to do is verify the paper, not the disability. I know some doctors might abuse the system, but I would think very few would if abuse of it would get them in trouble, like the abuse of prescribing such drugs incorrectly would get them in trouble.

I think they are sometimes called Security Prescription Pads. It would be he same as a castmember recognizing a fake bill, which anyone with a bit of instruction can do.

The doctor could write a note saying the needed a GAC on the paper, and the paper being legitimate would be the verification.

I think it might cut down on people abusing the system, if everyone had to go and ask their doctor for the special note, but I would think or hope that anyone with a real need for one wouldn't mind doing so, if that meant that people abusing the system couldn't anymore.

The only thing is I don't know if security prescription pads are allowed to be used in this way, and I imagine if they are not, getting the medical community to agree to allowing it might be impossible.

Then what about us coming from different country's as we not have same forms and be hard for cm to recognise from dozens of different country's that come.what is legitimate and what is not

I feel like either people are blowing the situation out of porportion, or the problem is being ignored by people who could actually do something about the situation.
I think abuse can be a perception. I use a powered wheelchair in the parks due to mobility issues. You may see me out of that PWC at times as I do need to walk some to avoid getting stiff. I may be out with my grandson walking and later be back in my PWC.
I also have a hearing loss but my speech is excellent as are my speech reading skills. I can easily speak 1 to 1 with a person but when there is background noise like music in a show I miss a lot of the language so I use and interpreter.
Some people seeing me might think I am an abuser but there is no way I could walk through the parks all day not could I understand a show without captioning or an interpreter.
Many people complain because they perceive abuse even when a person has a legitimate reason for a GAC. And then there are the abusers however few.

It seems anytime anyone does anything nice there will always be people who find a way to take advantage of it. Its a shame but there's no stopping it. All I know is Disney has done an AMAZING job making magical vacations possible for my family with two special needs children. The GACs have met our needs beautifully and CMs have bent over backwards to make our experience go smoothly. I thank Disney from the bottom of my heart for that and I pray that nothing changes before or next trip.

It seems anytime anyone does anything nice there will always be people who find a way to take advantage of it. Its a shame but there's no stopping it. All I know is Disney has done an AMAZING job making magical vacations possible for my family with two special needs children. The GACs have met our needs beautifully and CMs have bent over backwards to make our experience go smoothly. I thank Disney from the bottom of my heart for that and I pray that nothing changes before or next trip.

I couldn't agree with you more. I know my autistic son is very afraid of the dark. Thanks to our pass we are allowed to skip some sections of rides and we also are able to sit near an exit at a show so if we have to leave we won't disrupt others. I am so grateful for the GAC. Otherwise we wouldn't be able to enjoy Disney as much as we do.. :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter