New Alcohol Policy - How is it playing out at Embarkation?

Not sure what kind of info you want. We didn't try to smuggle liquor on board so I can't comment about that. But they were looking.

We did a wine tasting excursion in Ensenada and had 3 bottles coming back onboard. We did have to check the 3rd bottle. I got a receipt and grabbed it when we got off this morning.

Not sure what kind of info you want. We didn't try to smuggle liquor on board so I can't comment about that. But they were looking.

We did a wine tasting excursion in Ensenada and had 3 bottles coming back onboard. We did have to check the 3rd bottle. I got a receipt and grabbed it when we got off this morning.
That's a bit of the information that most are looking for: what happens if you bring more than your allotment in a port of call. So it seems that they are doing as most other cruise lines and holding it for pick up on embarkation.

So you were permitted to bring on wine at a port other than on embarkation day? People on the Magic have been reporting that they weren't allowed to bring any wine or beer on at ports.

I got a receipt and grabbed it when we got off this morning.

So you don't get it until the morning of disembarkation? You don't get it the night before in order to pack it? Do you get it before or after you pick up suitcases in the port? That's a pain - we'll have to pull aside at the airport or after suitcase pickup and open up suitcases to pack it. We don't bring on alcohol to drink on board but sometimes we pick something up either before or during the cruise to bring home.

Yes. We were absolutely allowed to bring alcohol on from port. We weren't the only ones bringing stuff home from Mexico.

I didn't ask about getting it early as we were driving home and wanted it in our carry on. The receipt seemed pretty clear, though, last morning was pick up.

Keep in mind, they let me keep 2 bottles of wine. It was only the third they checked. If you only have 2 to bring home it won't be an issue.

I am confused. You said "we" did a wine tasting - shouldn't each of you be allowed 2 bottles of wine? So three bottles should have been fine for 2 people
Could you help us understand

Sorry, forgot to add you get it on the ship in the lobby.

My family got in line to get off, I went to grab it and got back in with them. Took maybe 2 minutes.

I am confused. You said "we" did a wine tasting - shouldn't each of you be allowed 2 bottles of wine? So three bottles should have been fine for 2 people
Could you help us understand

I believe it's per stateroom. 2 total for the room, not per person.

I really didn't find it terribly painful or annoying.

I believe it's per stateroom. 2 total for the room, not per person.

I really didn't find it terribly painful or annoying.
It's 2 bottles of wine OR champagne (7540ml) OR 6 beers (12 oz) per person over age 21.

From the DCL website:
Effective for cruises embarking on or after September 30, 2015, Disney Cruise Line Guests 21 years and older may bring a maximum of 2 bottles of unopened wine or champagne (no larger than 750 ml) or 6 beers (no larger than 12 ounces) on board at the beginning of the voyage and at each port-of-call.
https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/...aring-for-your-cruise/alcohol-onboard-policy/

Did just you scan back onboard the ship with all 3 bottles?

Last edited:
have the drink prices onboard gone up? drinks of the day still around $6? martini in the lounge 10 - 12?

It's 2 bottles of wine OR champagne (7540ml) OR 6 beers (12 oz) per person over age 21.

Did just you scan back onboard the ship with all 3 bottles?

No, they asked us to check one.

At the port in Ensenada, we walked through security where they x-rayed our bags. The port security guy noted the wine and pointed me in the direction of 2 Disney CM sitting at a table. They looked at our 3 bottles and said we had to check one so I did. Picked one and got a paper receipt for it.

I guess I could have argued with them. My husband was standing there with me so it was obvious there were 2 of us. But, honestly it didn't bother me at all. I had zero intention of drinking it onboard so it didn't bother me any where they put it. I do the early morning coffee, Shutters run on the last morning so this was just one extra stop.

have the drink prices onboard gone up? drinks of the day still around $6? martini in the lounge 10 - 12?

Not that I noticed at all. We don't normally do the drink of the day. Mojitos and Mai Tais by the pool and some drinks in the Outlook Cafe and I think they cost us about the same as last year.

They didn't seem to be pushing any packages or anything like that. Now that I think about it, I don't think they even mentioned the wine package at dinner.

No, they asked us to check one.

At the port in Ensenada, we walked through security where they x-rayed our bags. The port security guy noted the wine and pointed me in the direction of 2 Disney CM sitting at a table. They looked at our 3 bottles and said we had to check one so I did. Picked one and got a paper receipt for it.

I guess I could have argued with them. My husband was standing there with me so it was obvious there were 2 of us. But, honestly it didn't bother me at all. I had zero intention of drinking it onboard so it didn't bother me any where they put it. I do the early morning coffee, Shutters run on the last morning so this was just one extra stop.
It appears the actual implementation of this policy still has a few bugs. As noted, the passengers on the Magic since the policy started were told they couldn't bring anything back onboard from ports of call.
:confused3

Last edited:
I'm really hoping they get this all figured out before we sail on the magic for Thanksgiving:( the policy seems pretty cut and dry, I don't understand why there's so much confusion!!!

I'm really hoping they get this all figured out before we sail on the magic for Thanksgiving:( the policy seems pretty cut and dry, I don't understand why there's so much confusion!!!
Probably because while the new policy is "in line with other major cruise lines", it's a bit unique in that it allows 2 bottles per person, and also allows the same in ports of call. Most other cruiselines only allow one per person OR 2 per stateroom, on embarkation day only.

Weren't the 3 bottles in one bag? I can see where the CMs would think 1 person had 3 bottles.

Someone on FB posted a pic of a huge table with alcohol on it at debarment. I asked what it was about and the person said they were making people check hard liquor bought at port and this set up was where people picked it up on the way off. There were numerous people posting questions and from what I read it was only hard liquor. People were allowed the wine and beer.

ETA I think I spoke too soon. I went back to FB and some additional comments have been added with people saying wine and beer was definitely being checked at port. They give you a ticket and you pick it up on your way off.

Last edited:
Someone on FB posted a pic of a huge table with alcohol on it at debarment. I asked what it was about and the person said they were making people check hard liquor bought at port and this set up was where people picked it up on the way off. There were numerous people posting questions and from what I read it was only hard liquor. People were allowed the wine and beer.

The new policy is no hard liquor is allowed. 2 bottles of wine OR 6 beer per adult are allowed at embarkation and at each port. Or supposedly that is the new policy. It seems there are some hiccups as they get used to enforcing the new policy.

Weren't the 3 bottles in one bag? I can see where the CMs would think 1 person had 3 bottles.
Most people are VERY concrete thinkers. I can totally see cast members seeing three bottles of wine and asking two adults to put away one. Extrapolating that 2 adults with 3 bottles of wine is within the policy requires a bit of abstraction. These leaps of logic should be pretty easy, but I suspect a company like Disney doesn't encourage much critical or creative thinking. I'm sure it will get better.

The new policy is no hard liquor is allowed. 2 bottles of wine OR 6 beer per adult are allowed at embarkation and at each port. Or supposedly that is the new policy. It seems there are some hiccups as they get used to enforcing the new policy.
I know. They don't throw your liquor in the garbage though. They check it and you can pick it up when you leave.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter