New AK Ride In The Works

Hi Barron, I finally got the picture to load from the first link (the second link said I was not authorized)

COOL!!!!!!!

Another Mountain!!!!

-----------------------------

BTW, Blutos Barge is not the Dudley Do Right ride, But I do like that ride for other reasons; it is a hybrid Coaster, and I like them, not to mention I grew up watching Dudley on Saturday Mornings...

I was never a big Popey fan, but I love the theming for Bluto's ride. I heard a rumor that it, Dragons, and a few others were concepts that came with "Displaced" imagineers... Any Thoughts Mr. Scoop?

:bounce:

For some reason the design of the mountain is not my favorite, but it looks to be quite a ride. I assume the external sections of the ride are going to be a whole lot better themed than shown here.

I'm really curious what we will be treated to inside the mountain. This seems to be the key to whether this is a much grander Matterhornesque attraction, or something extra special.

Maybe it is the black and white picture, but the ride layout made me think about the concept art for the coaster that was onetime going into the toon section of MGM sans the mountain.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
let me just say that I hope it's build too, and we don't get a Western River!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What have got against they best attraction(s) ever conceived, even if it wasn’t built!?!?!

Read what he said again, LB. :) Testtrack doesn't want Forbidden Mountain to become the next Western River, ie. a great attraction that doesn't ever see the light of day. He was agreeing with you :)

YIKES!!

Thanks Hope!! You see what can happen when you read too fast!! I misplaced the comma (or even a word or two) in my mind and came away with a totally different meaning!!

Sorry Mr. Track!! I misunderstood!!

Originally posted by DVC-Landbaron
What have got against they best attraction(s) ever conceived, even if it wasn’t built!?!?!

I have nothing against it, I just this ride dosn't end up having tons of hopla and then dosn't get built. And your forgiven, we all do it. ;)

As for the ride itself, go to JimHillMedia.com and look for the story in his archives.

You know. There is a picture on intercot where the mountain has been digitally dropped onto the banks of the river at the AK. There is something about this mountain that doesn't work. It looks like an iceburg!!! I am sure it will be big and impressiv ebut I think it looks like it will be hard to make it look realistic. It reminds me of the mountains they use to build around coasters in the early part of the century. Maybe if the whole mountain isn't painted white it would work. I know these are preliminary and the mountain may have been altered from this model but I am still hesitant about it...aside from it being a coaster that I will probably ride only once.

You know. There is a picture on intercot where the mountain has been digitally dropped onto the banks of the river at the AK. There is something about this mountain that doesn't work. It looks like an iceburg!!! I am sure it will be big and impressiv ebut I think it looks like it will be hard to make it look realistic. It reminds me of the mountains they use to build around coasters in the early part of the century. Maybe if the whole mountain isn't painted white it would work. I know these are preliminary and the mountain may have been altered from this model but I am still hesitant about it...aside from it being a coaster that I will probably ride only once.

A short story description:

"The ride starts outdoors in an abandoned tea plantation where the villagers have all been frightened away by the yeti from the mountain. The trains will be similar to BTMRR. Trains enter the mountain, and travelers are harassed by the yeti. At one point the trains will run backwards. They are looking to open the ride in the summer of 2005. We are hearing construction sounds behind the Jungle Trek."

Just some thoughts on the investment structure differences between UO & WDW. UO's infrastructure cost is much less than that of WDW. They have fewer hotel rooms to fill and fewer road dollars and bus gas dollars to recoup. Theirs is a simpler model. If they can keep the three hotels full and draw enough guests to keep their attendance fairly high, they just might be making decent money on their investment.

UO's model reminds me of something - WDW when it first opened!

They will make decent money on their investment. It used to be that once someone arrived at WDW for a vacation they stayed there. Now more and more UO is included in the trip which takes money and attendance away from the "world".

The trains will be similar to BTMRR.

I hope this is not true!

UO knew there was a huge market base being "neglected" by Disney, and that's the thrill-lovers market.

Absolutely

AK has potential. It could bring in the numbers if there was more to offer. A mountain ride is a worthy first step.

UO's model reminds me of something - WDW when it first opened!
Sort of, but not really. Think about the vast amount of land, the creation of bodies of water, the cost of putting in your own utilities, the roadways, etc. So, even early on, WDW had major infrastructure.

OK, so Universal made the mistake of not buying enough land just like Walt did when he built Disneyland. But I tell you what, in my opinion Disneyland is the best American theme park and the Universal parks are super too. Seeing the outside world is unfortunate but does not make any of these parks bad places. I guess that it all depends on what a person is looking for in a vacation. I want a good park!

We just returned from Florida and spent a few days at Universal for the first time ever. We saw super theming, VERY nice employees and enjoyed good food. We saw Twister, Earthquake and Terminator more than once and there is no way that Buzz compares to MIB! Of course, this is all subjective. :) The worst part was my 4th grader asking if we HAD to leave Universal to go to WDW and telling me on the way back that he preferred Universal. Is he atypical? I wonder. :(

However, it is great news to hear about this new ride. That is if it's truly built and not budget-slashed to a spinner of some kind. The Baron is a good driver but I could use a scenery change by finally moving to Car No. 2.

Oh by the way, someone commented that Disney did not built visible outdoor coasters. Did someone forget about a little ride called California Screaming?

Early on in this thread, A comment was made that we needed more Thrill rides, because Rides like Pirates never had lines (and thus weren't popular and thus new ones of that type should not be built.)

This is incorrect. Pirates of the Caribbean is still the most popular attraction at Disneyland in Ca. (according to CM who do the daily figures) I don't know that it is in Florida, but I think its safe to assume its still up there.

The reason Pirates has very short lines is that it is an extremely efficent ride to load. Each Boat holds 22 people. Two boats come in at the same time. It takes what 20 seconds to load a boat and send it out with good CMs and able bodied guests. That makes a potential of what 132 people every minute? or 7920 an hour.

That's phenominal capcity.

Now those were just some guesses based on experence although the 22 people per boat is completely accurate.

This ride looks and sounds like a fancy combination of Big thunder Mountain and The Matterhorn (which includes a yeti already)

The inclusion of Yeti would be a delve into Beastly Kingdom wouldn't it.

Oh and Matterhorn looks great and its largly snowcovered.

That mockup probably lacked detail. it looked like a basic uncolored cardboard one.

You see what can happen when you read too fast!! I misplaced the comma (or even a word or two) in my mind and came away with a totally different meaning
Psst..........................Baron.........................you ALWAYS read too fast :tongue:. Now if you'd just cool the engines* a bit you might actually make some sense...............Finally!!! :eek: :crazy: ;).

* can anybody name the band?

Unlike Disneyland, Universal didn't have the choice of buying more land (although you could say the same about Disneyland). Most land was already bought, developed, being developed, or way to expensive compared to WDW.

The Baron is a good driver but I could use a scenery change by finally moving to Car No. 2.
I have a flawless driving record! Anyway, there are plenty of seats - since the majority of posters are in #1 or #3. I'll reserve shotgun for you.

OH!! MY!! What happened to that Plain’o Girl’o mine!!??

So, this is the end? Is that all there is? Humph!! And after I gave you the best years of my life!!! ;)
The Baron is a good driver but I could use a scenery change by finally moving to Car No. 2.
Ah! Your head is being filled with nothing but spin! Sure he looks dapper! Sure he has command of the situation. And sure he whispers sweet nothings into your ear! But I assure you THAT is exactly what they are! NOTHINGS! In other words, “It ain’t built yet!”

The worst part was my 4th grader asking if we HAD to leave Universal to go to WDW and telling me on the way back that he preferred Universal. Is he atypical? I wonder.
No! He is certainly NOT atypical. It is one of the main reasons I’m in car #3!! (Where you should be!! ;) )

Oh by the way, someone commented that Disney did not built visible outdoor coasters. Did someone forget about a little ride called California Screaming?
Is that a Disney ride? Oh! Of course it is! I can see the not-so-hidden Mickey! But other than that it could have been anyone’s ride! Another reason for my car choice!!!

Originally posted by DVC-Landbaron
No! He is certainly NOT atypical. It is one of the main reasons I’m in car #3!! (Where you should be!! ;) )

You're in car 3 because of someone's preference? People prefer to be neo-Nazi, but that dosn't make them right or cuase the whole world to come crashing down. Just becaue someone dosn't like the pixie dust dosn't mean you have to have a hissy fit and say Disney should build more dark rides, since that's what everyone really wants, and build more monorials, since everyone wants to ride those too.

You're in car 3 because of someone's preference? People prefer to be neo-Nazi, but that dosn't make them right or cuase the whole world to come crashing down. Just becaue someone dosn't like the pixie dust dosn't mean you have to have a hissy fit and say Disney should build more dark rides, since that's what everyone really wants, and build more monorials, since everyone wants to ride those too.
I know on of the reasons I'm where I am because I see more and more customers giving Universal a chance, and a good chunk of those get a decent taste from the place and keep going there.

When these customers start to wean themselves off of the "Disney only" vacation, that hurts your WDW vacation due to budget cuts, slower expansions, etc. Sound familiar?

And to sum it all up, this all brings me into the car I'm in because it didn't have to be this way. By Disney deciding that they no longer have to strive for excellence, by settling for what the other guy is doing, they encourage their customer base to see what the other guy is doing.

Pity.

P.S. I'd be royally pissed if I was a DVC owner who purchased in years ago when the place was expanding and there was no talk of these budget cuts. Makes your real estate interest lose it's value....

can see the not-so-hidden Mickey! But other than that it could have been anyone’s ride!

My good Landbaron, Nobody else could have built California Screaming. It is approximatly average as far as expensive fully exposed rollercoasters go and Most other coaster purchasing companies have the common sense to build something at the edge of Technology. So not only did Di$ney fail to make a Disney ride. They failed to make even a 6 Flaggs ride. DCA would have been 100% more appealing to me if they removed that thing and turned it back into parking.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter