Nervous about construction....

Texas Barbie

Mouseketeer
We have reserved a condo at VWL for the second week of September, and just found out about the construction plans. I am concerned that this will ruin the atmosphere. Anyone have any thoughts on whether we should postpone, or just change resorts? Thanks!

That early in the construction process I wouldn't worry too much about it. You may see fencing starting or equipment coming in, but I would bet the effect would be fairly minimal. A year later it might be a different story, but time will tell. Relax and enjoy your trip planning for a great resort. That has been a wonderful time of year to be in WDW the last few years, and I'd be super excited to have those dates booked this year.

I don't know when the construction is supposed to start, so I'm not sure how early in the process your trip is. I was at VWL the first week in December, when the pool/splash pad construction was finishing up. It was supposed to be finished by the end of November, but wasn't. Candidly, I would not knowingly stay at a resort again that was under construction. I found that the construction equipment, fencing, and workers everywhere were really intrusive, and I'm not a high maintenance guest. I would seriously think about a resort change if I were in your circumstances.

I bet at first they'll just be doing a lot of surveying and staking things out, putting up fences, etc, it probably takes time before they'll bring in any heavy equipment.

Texas Barbie, I'm having the same thoughts. We were actually booked at WL for December but decided we'd give BC a try this year, given the impending construction. Now I'll be the first to admit, this may have been "alarmist" of me, particularly given that we were at the main lodge and not the villas. It's quite possible (even probable) that the construction would not have disrupted us at all, but to me, eliminating the worry was worth the switch. I didn't want to spend the rest of the time between now and our trip thinking and worrying about it. Plus, we've always wanted to try BC.

I'd suggest that if you're concerned enough that you'd be second-guessing your decision, maybe save the VWL for another trip and stay somewhere else you've dreamed of trying or already love! Or, give it a go! It's like my husband said to me- we'd still be in Disney, how bad could it be? :flower1:

This is just me because I over obsess, but I would change if I could. The stress of thinking about it esp until September would be buzzkill for my planning. If your heart is set on staying there though, roll the dice. Your
Texas Barbie, I'm having the same thoughts. We were actually booked at WL for December but decided we'd give BC a try this year, given the impending construction. Now I'll be the first to admit, this may have been "alarmist" of me, particularly given that we were at the main lodge and not the villas. It's quite possible (even probable) that the construction would not have disrupted us at all, but to me, eliminating the worry was worth the switch. I didn't want to spend the rest of the time between now and our trip thinking and worrying about it. Plus, we've always wanted to try BC.

I'd suggest that if you're concerned enough that you'd be second-guessing your decision, maybe save the VWL for another trip and stay somewhere else you've dreamed of trying or already love! Or, give it a go! It's like my husband said to me- we'd still be in Disney, how bad could it be? :flower1:

This. Exactly. We originally booked at WL but after hearing the rumor that there may be construction, we opted to move over to CR. Probably would've been nothing to worry about, but we didnt want our worries to buzzkill our excitement, and CR is our home away from home. Enjoy wherever you stay! =)

:scratchin;)Thank you to all who replied. I think I will quietly investigate alternatives, I know the construction at the Poly drove a lot of people crazy, and the main thing we were looking for at VWL was peace and quiet so our 2 toddlers could nap during the day. It would probably depend to some extent exactly where our room was in relation to the construction. Wonder if there might be any FD rooms left.....

It's a crapshoot I would not want to take.

We stayed at BWI last year after the construction was "completed". Ummm...nope! Woke up to men having a meeting just outside our door. When we left the room it was a mess in the hallway. Baseboards all over and sawdust peppered the carpet.

I agree with PP, the stress of not knowing isn't worth it. I'd still go, but change resorts.

Know exactly how you feel. We're booked for our 1st stay at WL over Thanksgiving - but we're changing resorts too due to the construction. We don't want to be worried between now & then what to expect. We'll save WL for a future trip- when all of the construction is done. Just trying to decide where to stay instead. Whatever you decide, I'm sure you'll have a great trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter