Nemesis Challenge: MY Side of the Epic Half Marathon Showdown. *Updated 2/13 Page 5*

Ahhh another thread to lurk on. Checking in. I will try to keep up.
You can say hi every once in a while... :rotfl2:

I'm also behind on my Disboards activity.
I finished the Goofy and had a good experience. Life fell apart right before the race with my mom passing away unexpectedly over Christmas and then I got sick the week leading up to the race. Not fun.
I walked the half marathon and finished just under 3:04 (14:01 min/mile) and then finished the full just under 5:52 (13:25 min/mile). I was satisfied with my full marathon time. I would have liked 5:30 but with the heat and humidity and a sinus infection, I was pretty happy to finish strong.
I don't know the details of your race results either so I'm eagerly following both you and Tim!

Amanda
So sorry to hear about your mom.

Congrats on the runs!!!! Maybe Barry will try to talk me into doing the Goofy someday. :rolleyes2

Two pictures that someone didn't make it into the update.

IMG_0894.jpg

I fear for the day this kid goes to college.
IMG_0893.jpg

Late but here

Sorry I missed you.
Great job on the run and I look forward to hearing your side. ;)

what's a few more days out of school for the kids in exchange for Bambi getting Casey's Corn Dog Nuggets and a Dole Whip on her birthday?
For putting up with you, she deserves anything she wants for her Birthday. :lmao:

Unfortunately, they only sold Pepsi
I'm sorry, that statement makes absolutely no sense.:confused3 ;)

The flight was pretty uneventful. Ryder slept just about the entire time, except when he was browsing SkyMall for the latest cool stuff.
Did he buy anything? :confused3 :scared1:

Which wasn't the easiest, considering it was 80° and humid and I was still wearing my Wisconsin winter clothes.
Layers, Barry, layers...

Here's Evan's chili dog and my BBQ Slaw dog. It was OK, but the bun sucked. Next time: stick to the corn dog nuggets.
It isn't so much the fact that the bun sucks, but there's just so much of it...

Chip off the old block, there.
Poor Bambi...

Unfortunately, something else started while on the boat ride - fireworks. The park was open until 9 that night, and I assumed Wishes would be at 9. Turns out, they ran MSEP at 7 and 9 and Wishes at 8. Crud. That was Bambi's 3rd birthday wish - Corn Dog Nuggets, Dole Whips and Wishes.
Way to go, Barry! Nice job! :rolleyes1

Next time, sweetie, I promise.
I guess this means you'll be flying to Orlando on Jan 9 again next year to see Wishes. :woohoo:

I fear for the day this kid goes to college.
IMG_0893.jpg
:eek: He's going to win some bets... :rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:

In total agreement about the Casey's hot dog buns. Not good at all. Ask my wife, too, as she was the unfortunate recipient of pickle relish on her clothes due to my hot dog losing its structural integrity. Not good times in the Anderson family on that one...

I'm excited to read your version of events! I pretty much read the entire PTR yesterday (the DIS Dads are a pretty entertaining bunch), but didn't want to just be a lurker on TR threads. I'll read Tim's as well to compare/contrast, I'm sure there will be a necessary variation of truthiness across the two!

Congrats to both of you on finishing. What an accomplishment!

The Half Marathon was on January 12, 2013. Sure, we could have flown down on Thursday the 10th or even Friday the 11th and made it all work.

Editing work I sense in here... :yoda:

Unfortunately, they only sold Pepsi, but a quick stop next door at Auntie Annie's Pretzels saved us with some Diet Cokes. :thumbsup2

Diet? :crazy2:

The flight was pretty uneventful. Ryder slept just about the entire time, except when he was browsing SkyMall for the latest cool stuff.

He looks like a guy who could use a remote-controlled tie rack.

Evan, showing off his strength by holding up a Christmas Tree. The kid loves his vegetables, and it shows.

You're not fooling me. I saw the pizza he was wolfing down. That's the true source of strength. That, and gamma rays.

We wandered up Main Street, just taking in the atmosphere.

43927920006.jpg

Nice one! :thumbsup2

Which, with those cute little puppy dog eyes Ryder makes, quickly turned into his first Dole Whip.

And so begins the addiction.

Right after Tinker Bell was Periwinkle, who is evidently Tinker Bell's sister or something.

:confused3

Madison has seen the movie and I got the "Madison Notes" version, which is basically the entire thing, but in some completely random order with a bunch of commentary mixed it.

Sounds like you paid as much attention as I do.

The Jungle Cruise. Chip off the old block, there. First time we rode it at night. Interesting experience.

Could you see anything?

Unfortunately, something else started while on the boat ride - fireworks. The park was open until 9 that night, and I assumed Wishes would be at 9. Turns out, they ran MSEP at 7 and 9 and Wishes at 8. Crud. That was Bambi's 3rd birthday wish - Corn Dog Nuggets, Dole Whips and Wishes. Next time, sweetie, I promise.

Great, now you have to come back and try again. Darn it all!

what's a few more days out of school for the kids in exchange for Bambi getting Casey's Corn Dog Nuggets and a Dole Whip on her birthday? Exactly. So we booked the flight for the 9th.

Always spoil the boss.
It’s simply in your best interest.

The security line was pretty long but move quick enough that we made it to the gate before our plane did.

So long as it does show up later on.
Otherwise your arms are gonn’a get real tired.

Unfortunately, they only sold Pepsi,

That would be a serious problem for my family

but a quick stop next door at Auntie Annie's Pretzels saved us with some Diet Cokes. :thumbsup2

That would solve the problem.

How would we survive a flight without a copy of Sky Mall?
:lmao:

In no time we were hopping on a bus to Magic Kingdom.

:woohoo:

But it was dinner time, and we had Casey's on our mind. No, it's not exactly gourmet, but it's what we like. So there. Here's Evan's chili dog and my BBQ Slaw dog. It was OK, but the bun sucked. Next time: stick to the corn dog nuggets.

smiley-writing.gif

The fries were a big hit with the toothless crowd, however.

Just a vehicle for the consumption of condiments

After finishing up dinner, we made a bee line over to Aloha Isle for a Birthday Dole Whip.

Certainly better then a Birthday whipping

Madison has seen the movie and I got the "Madison Notes" version, which is basically the entire thing, but in some completely random order with a bunch of commentary mixed it.

Sounds like a David Lynch movie plot.

Evan was less than pleased to have to stand around while Madison mixed and mingled with the fairies…

From the pictures I’d say that Ryder wasn’t all that impressed either.

…so we let him pick the next attraction. His choice? The Jungle Cruise.

Let the ancient one-liners and puns begin… :thumbsup2

It’s quite different at night as well.

Ryder was here…

kilroy.jpg

Actually all caught up now.

The picture of Ryder peeking over the stroller is just too cute.

Evan and the pizza reminds me of DS. :scared1: Eats me out of house and home now.

Madison is so cute witht he fairies. I am surprised that as much as evan liked Jasmine, he isnot much for the fairies. ;)

YAY that Bambi had her birthday in MK. :cool1:

The Half Marathon was on January 12, 2013. Sure, we could have flown down on Thursday the 10th or even Friday the 11th and made it all work. But with Bambi's birthday being January 9th, what's a few more days out of school for the kids in exchange for Bambi getting Casey's Corn Dog Nuggets and a Dole Whip on her birthday? Exactly. So we booked the flight for the 9th.

Madison and Evan did go to school for a couple of hours while we finished up the last minute packing. We picked them up around 10 and made it to the airport by 10:30ish. The security line was pretty long but move quick enough that we made it to the gate before our plane did.

DSCF0715.JPG

Cute picture of anticipation.

There is a nice little pizza joint down Concourse C in Milwaukee, so we grabbed a couple of them for lunch. Unfortunately, they only sold Pepsi, but a quick stop next door at Auntie Annie's Pretzels saved us with some Diet Cokes. :thumbsup2

The one and ONLY thing I dislike about Disney is that they serve COKE products. I'm a Pepsi girl all the way.

IMG_0896.jpg

That woman in the other seat looks like she is praying that Ryder doesn't start screaming or something. :lmao::lmao::lmao:

Madison and Evan watched some movies on my laptop and phone and played with the toys they packed.

IMG_0898.jpg

Gotta love technology.

We met Bambi's parents at baggage claim and packed all of our stuff into and on top of their van. Which wasn't the easiest, considering it was 80° and humid and I was still wearing my Wisconsin winter clothes.

In no time we were arriving at Old Key West dropping all of our stuff into the room. A quick picture of the kids' balloons (compliments of the front desk) and a towel flower. So pretty!

IMG_0900.jpg

So....what did you think of OKW? Was it your first stay there?

In no time we were hopping on a bus to Magic Kingdom.

IMG_4596.JPG

WOO HOO!!!!!

To our surprise, the Magic Kingdom was still all decked out in it's holiday finest. I would have assumed that it would all have been down by January 9th, but it was nice to see.

A nice surprise.

Evan, showing off his strength by holding up a Christmas Tree. The kid loves his vegetables, and it shows.

IMG_4599.JPG

I knew that kid was strong the minute I met him.

We wandered up Main Street, just taking in the atmosphere.

43927920006.jpg

Nice photopass picture.

But it was dinner time, and we had Casey's on our mind. No, it's not exactly gourmet, but it's what we like. So there. Here's Evan's chili dog and my BBQ Slaw dog. It was OK, but the bun sucked. Next time: stick to the corn dog nuggets.

IMG_4609.JPG

The fries were a big hit with the toothless crowd, however.

IMG_0901.jpg

Not a fan of Casey's...got sick the one time we ate there, but glad Bambi got her birthday dinner.

After finishing up dinner, we made a bee line over to Aloha Isle for a Birthday Dole Whip. (Please excuse the washed out iPhone picture.)

IMG_0902.jpg

A very happy wife!

Which, with those cute little puppy dog eyes Ryder makes, quickly turned into his first Dole Whip.

IMG_4610.JPG

Who can pass up baby puppy dog eyes?

After the Dole Whips, we crossed the path to Tinker Bell's meet & greet.

43927920020.jpg

Right after Tinker Bell was Periwinkle, who is evidently Tinker Bell's sister or something. Madison has seen the movie and I got the "Madison Notes" version, which is basically the entire thing, but in some completely random order with a bunch of commentary mixed it.

43927920026.jpg

43927920038.jpg

Evan was less than pleased to have to stand around while Madison mixed and mingled with the fairies, so we let him pick the next attraction. His choice? The Jungle Cruise. Chip off the old block, there. First time we rode it at night. Interesting experience.

Ryder doesn't look thrilled about the fairies either.

UP NEXT: The Race Expo, Packet Pickup, and a Jammed LA Freeway.

Glad I found this since no one told me you were doing it. :furious:

Jungle Cruise at night is quite different, it is very cool!
It is! They do a good job with the lighting.

That's some calendar you have there in Wisconsin. :rolleyes2
We still use sundials, and when it's cloudy, it's hard to tell what day it is. (And I'd like to point out that I fixed that typo at 9:48 - a full 4 minutes before you posted.)
It's like the weeks count up and the days count down. :lmao:
And the months count sideways!
Friday right? :scratchin
No, I think it was...umm...November?
It's always long when you have kids. I bet if you left them home there would of been no lines. Not sure what your house would of looked like when you got home though. :confused3
Depends on who we left in charge - the kids or the dogs. But yeah, either way - disaster area.

Did he buy the 'grass' cube so the dog could pee in the grass while inside?
Why? He's not even potty trained himself. Why does he care where the dog goes?

Bad planning on your part. I wore shorts to the airport in the 20 degree temps. :hyper:
Probably could have, but jeans take up more space in the suitcase than shorts.

Lucky you got a room right away. :furious:
Yeah, we're pretty awesome like that.

That kid is diesel!!!!!
Just imagine what he could have done to that truck if it had hit him instead!
We've never eaten at Casey's. We aren't the biggest fan of hotdogs. :duck:
Why not? They're made mostly of meat.:confused3

Happy Birthday Bambi!!!!!! :wave2:
:thumbsup2
Why is she drinking my Dole Whip? :confused3
Because you were still hanging out in CT at the time.

Nice job grooming him. :lmao:

....and you didn't know this?
WISHES always used to close the park down. Never bothered to check the Times Guide. :headache:

Still get to see the backside of water?
YES! All lit up and everything. It was inspiring. Not as much as inspiration falls, but still pretty inspiring.

:sad2: You should be ashamed of yourself.
I am. Two minutes in the box and I will feel shame the entire time.

Exactly.

Good move there space ranger.
I isn't dumb. Too much.

So what you're saying is I wasn't being lazy leaving up my lights until Jan 12. Disney did too.
Or April 12 for that matter.

Uh oh. Another master of the puns in the making.
The Apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

Too bad about the Wishes timing. Just need to try again to get the trifecta.
Something to work on for next time. :thumbsup2

Congrats on the runs!!!! Maybe Barry will try to talk me into doing the Goofy someday. :rolleyes2
What are you doing next January? Because I'm running the half. Then having some Dole Whips on Sunday.

The suspense is killing me... :happytv:
Sounds like a good 1st day!!!!

Amanda
Any day that you leave the cold of Wisconsin and arrive in Disney World is a good day.

Late but here

Sorry I missed you.
Great job on the run and I look forward to hearing your side. ;)
Until I write some corny stuff about "Thanks to all of you for reading along", you're not late.

I'm here...be back to catch up

:wave2:

For putting up with you, she deserves anything she wants for her Birthday. :lmao:
I tried doing a Lexus withe a big red bow in the driveway, but she was all like "that's a Christmas present, not a birthday present! Take it back!"

I'm sorry, that statement makes absolutely no sense.:confused3 ;)
Pepsi is the generic equivalent of Coke. And we all know that generic equivalents basically...suck.

Did he buy anything? :confused3 :scared1:
There was a voice activated R2D2 for $200. I almost handed over my credit card for that one...

Layers, Barry, layers...
Yes, but people give me dirty looks when I take off the long johns in the baggage claim area.

It isn't so much the fact that the bun sucks, but there's just so much of it...
Double suckage.

Poor Bambi...
Yeah, pretty much. She only has 2 eyes to roll. Not sure what she's going to when Evan, Ryder and I all start quoting the ride.

Way to go, Barry! Nice job! :rolleyes1
That's that sarcasm stuff again, isn't it?

I guess this means you'll be flying to Orlando on Jan 9 again next year to see Wishes. :woohoo:
We'll probably go down on the 8th, just to make sure. ;)

:eek: He's going to win some bets... :rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:
I just hope there are bets with a payout. When he starts doing that on a dares is when we'll have problems.

He is an animal! Glad I didn't sit next to him at 'Ohana... probably wouldda ate ll the wings without sharing them.
You'd be lucky if he even let them hit your plate before he started grabbing them off of it.

In total agreement about the Casey's hot dog buns. Not good at all. Ask my wife, too, as she was the unfortunate recipient of pickle relish on her clothes due to my hot dog losing its structural integrity. Not good times in the Anderson family on that one...
They're like mass produced bread loaves with a slit cut in the top. That's the definition of horrible engineering.

I'm excited to read your version of events! I pretty much read the entire PTR yesterday (the DIS Dads are a pretty entertaining bunch), but didn't want to just be a lurker on TR threads. I'll read Tim's as well to compare/contrast, I'm sure there will be a necessary variation of truthiness across the two!

Congrats to both of you on finishing. What an accomplishment!
All of it? It's like 78 pages! 73 of which are mostly utter nonsense. Wow, that's got to be more impressive that actually training for the half marathon!
Glad to have you here!

Editing work I sense in here... :yoda:
Just correcting the truth. I should be a politician.

Regular is like drinking motor oil.

He looks like a guy who could use a remote-controlled tie rack.
He does have two ties now. Do the motorized racks work with clip-ons?

You're not fooling me. I saw the pizza he was wolfing down. That's the true source of strength. That, and gamma rays.
He's also an orphan from krypton who got bit by a radioactive spider while going through martial arts training with monks.

Nice one! :thumbsup2
Thanks!

And so begins the addiction.
It's cheeper thank crack. :thumbsup2

Sounds like you paid as much attention as I do.
I think she might still be talking. I can't be sure.

Could you see anything?
Yes. She pointed out her favorite plants in the jungle.
That one. And that one. And that one over there.

Great, now you have to come back and try again. Darn it all!
The relentless pursuit of perfection. It's not just for Lexus anymore.

Always spoil the boss.
It’s simply in your best interest.
Happy wife = Happy life. That's the golden rule.

So long as it does show up later on.
Otherwise your arms are gonn’a get real tired.
I'm too old for that. I'd make the kids do the flapping.

That would be a serious problem for my family
Finally, someone who feels my pain.

That would solve the problem.
And all was right with the world again!

How would we survive a flight without a copy of Sky Mall?
You can only make so many origami swans with the barf bags.

Just a vehicle for the consumption of condiments
Now that you mention it, the fry was dipped in the cheese sauce. :thumbsup2

Certainly better then a Birthday whipping
We stopped those after "the incident".

From the pictures I’d say that Ryder wasn’t all that impressed either.
Anything after a Dole Whip is a let down.

Let the ancient one-liners and puns begin… :thumbsup2
It’s quite different at night as well.
Yes, it's mostly dark.

kilroy.jpg
[/CENTER]
That's exactly what I thought when I snapped that picture!

Actually all caught up now.

The picture of Ryder peeking over the stroller is just too cute.
I'm surprised he held that pose long enough for me to take the picture. Usually he does it just long enough for me to dig the camera out, then stops. :headache:

Evan and the pizza reminds me of DS. :scared1: Eats me out of house and home now.
And I'll have two of them. :scared1:

Madison is so cute witht he fairies. I am surprised that as much as evan liked Jasmine, he isnot much for the fairies. ;)
He was grumpy. We had been at the MK for over an hour and hadn't been on a ride yet.
YAY that Bambi had her birthday in MK. :cool1:
:banana::banana:

Cute picture of anticipation.

That woman in the other seat looks like she is praying that Ryder doesn't start screaming or something.
Actually, she was quite chatty through most of the flight about her kids and grandkids, so I don't think she was too worried.

So....what did you think of OKW? Was it your first stay there?
We did one night there about 5 years ago. It's a nice resort. We were all the way to the back so it was a bit of a haul to the Hospitality House, but the resort was really nice.

A nice surprise.
::yes:::santa:
I knew that kid was strong the minute I met him.
He squeezes cans of spinach right into his mouth. True Story.

Not a fan of Casey's...got sick the one time we ate there, but glad Bambi got her birthday dinner.
Yikes! I'll stick with the corn dogs - we've never had problems with them before.

A very happy wife!
That's what I strive for!

Who can pass up baby puppy dog eyes?
Clearly, not us. :thumbsup2

Ryder doesn't look thrilled about the fairies either.
They didn't have Dole Whips. Therefore, they were not fun.

Glad I found this since no one told me you were doing it. :furious:

Ummm, you didn't know? It was posted on the nemesis PTR. :rolleyes1

And on my other TR. I knew you'd find it. I had faith. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter