Need to vent... My heart is breaking

OP here with an update and some responses...

DH works for a small/shmedium company... no HR personnell to complain to and the boss owns the company as a sole proprietor... if he has crappy business practices, I can only hope that those left working for him won't be blindsided by his short comings (won't be DH, cause he's out of there ASAP and not just because of this issue)

I would certainly be calling my state's labor board and asking them if the company can legally cancel your husbands vacation like this. I really don't know if it is illegal for them to do so, but it might be.

Terribly unprofessional I know, but I would have taken my kids up there and had them ask his boss "You won't let my daddy take us to see Mickey?"

OK, I probably would not have done that, and from the sounds of it, the Scrooge would not have been affected by it anyway. Here's hoping someone gets visited by a few ghosts on Christmas Even and he mends his selfish greedy ways!

I would certainly be calling my state's labor board and asking them if the company can legally cancel your husbands vacation like this. I really don't know if it is illegal for them to do so, but it might be.

Companies can do pretty much what they want to these days. There have been some very large companies that have even been allowed to take away their employee's retirements! :eek: That's a much bigger deal after someone has worked so long with that promise, and then have it taken away when you need it. The company my dh retired from has decreased some of our benefits, though not the funds itself.

Ugh! I’m so sorry. I am glad for you in how your children handled the disappointment. That had to be heartwarming.

Not much I can say for that boss of his. If he needs that plane, he should hire it out when he isn’t using it for extra money so he won’t feel he has to treat his employees like crap. That, “if you won’t, someone else will” line is really below the belt, but unfortunately it works in a lot of places. That isn’t how you build up, that’s how you tear down, treating people like robots that can be switched in and out. And that isn’t even true. Bringing in someone new would likely put them further behind than letting this man (or others in similar situations) take their vacations. Shameful.

OP, I hope you have an even better trip later! You & your husband raised some fantastic kids. Maybe you could go during Flower & Garden......I find Epcot in full bloom to be a great vacation. Usually, even in February, some of the topiaries are up. Last year we got to see Phineas & Ferb & Cars! Pixie dust your way!

You have wonderful and understanding children!

I think the boss needs to give dh February off in writing so that it really happens.

So, now let me share "the rest of the story..."

In the first post of my pretrip I talked about all the reasons we were taking this trip. We were traveling down with my DBrother and his family and secretly hoping that my parents could join us... See, my SIL is young, mid thirties and they have two girls 3 and 5. My SIL is celebrating a 2 years of being cancer free! My father has been battling the ugly C for nearly two years.

He is currently undergoing a new chemo and flying to Disney on a germy airplane and then staying in a germy hotel in the midst of chemo is just not wise.

So, yesterday, I cried and cried as I cancelled one reservation after the next and tried to reschedule everything. My father is such an ispiration to me. He took me to breakfast yesterday and said "everything happens for a reason". It's a motto he lives by and it gives him peace to know that he may not understand everything that happens but God does...

Today, God gave me (what I beleive) to be the reason for all our disappointment. My father went to the doctors this morning. He got some really really really wonderful news. This chemo is kicking cancer's a$$! His last treatment will likely be in the first week in January. He feels better than he has all year and that is really saying something when you are bald from chemo. My parents are already making plans to join us in February!!!!

Vacationing with my family is easy. No one places real demands on anyone else. We can each spend our time on own with our children in the parks. But, we will be spending some magical moments together. This wasn't possible next week... but it's possible now..

(oh yeah, DH is still disgusted with his boss but... now we have reason to really look forward to February)

mouseketeer_mom said:

In the first post of my pretrip I talked about all the reasons we were taking this trip. We were traveling down with my DBrother and his family and secretly hoping that my parents could join us... See, my SIL is young, mid thirties and they have two girls 3 and 5. My SIL is celebrating a 2 years of being cancer free! My father has been battling the ugly C for nearly two years.

He is currently undergoing a new chemo and flying to Disney on a germy airplane and then staying in a germy hotel in the midst of chemo is just not wise.

So, yesterday, I cried and cried as I cancelled one reservation after the next and tried to reschedule everything. My father is such an ispiration to me. He took me to breakfast yesterday and said "everything happens for a reason". It's a motto he lives by and it gives him peace to know that he may not understand everything that happens but God does...

Today, God gave me (what I beleive) to be the reason for all our disappointment. My father went to the doctors this morning. He got some really really really wonderful news. This chemo is kicking cancer's a$$! His last treatment will likely be in the first week in January. He feels better than he has all year and that is really saying something when you are bald from chemo. My parents are already making plans to join us in February!!!!

Vacationing with my family is easy. No one places real demands on anyone else. We can each spend our time on own with our children in the parks. But, we will be spending some magical moments together. This wasn't possible next week... but it's possible now..

(oh yeah, DH is still disgusted with his boss but... now we have reason to really look forward to February)

So glad this is having a happy resolution! What great news about your dad!

and look! A new ticker! not the single digits I was hoping for but hey, a ticker is a ticker... We ARE going to Disney!

That's a God thing! Brought tears to my eyes that you have a happy resolution to a frustrating situation!

My father went to the doctors this morning. He got some really really really wonderful news. This chemo is kicking cancer's a$$! His last treatment will likely be in the first week in January. He feels better than he has all year and that is really saying something when you are bald from chemo. My parents are already making plans to join us in February!!!!
Awesome! Now that's what I'm talking about when it comes to a blessing! :cheer2:

Money is always a big part of it for me, so I'm happy to hear you won't lose anything that way.

I totally agree that this bad thing is now a happy thing since your dad can go too!

I firmly believe that all things happen for a reason and if you remember "To everything there is a season, and a time for every purpose under Heaven", it might make the disappointment of not spending Christmas at Disney a little easier to accept. Its wonderful that now you will be able to spend time in the Happiest Place on Earth with your parents and kids!

I'm sorry but I would quit and go on my vacation. I could not work for a company that treated me that way. What does your husband do? It is something he could do somewhere else? Maybe somewhere that treats their employees better?

Good Lord, are you like 7?

How is this helpful in any way?

OP, I am so happy this worked out for the best. God had a plan for you. Reminds me that the saying when a door shuts, a window opens. I hope you have an even BETTER trip in February! DD news deserves a special celebration.....maybe a special dinner, family shirts, something! Better start planning!

and look! A new ticker! not the single digits I was hoping for but hey, a ticker is a ticker... We ARE going to Disney!

mouseketeer_mom, I just have to say...what an inspiration you are! You have such a great attitude and you are handling this with such grace and positivity, it's amazing. I hope you have a truly magical trip, and I hope your husband finds an employer who values him soon.

I am sorry about your husbands jerk of a boss but happy to hear about your father!! That is awesome! I will be down that same week and time is just flying.

I am so happy or you that everything is working out. I am also one who believes that everything happens for a reason and I am thrilled to hear that you daddy is doing better. :thumbsup2 awesome news!!

Your story reminds me of us. We were supposed to leave tomorrow for our Disney trip but we cancelled several months ago in hopes to move it to spring break or this summer. Just today my daughter was accepted into the spring Disney collage program!:dance3: how funny is that!?! :rotfl2: When she goes, I will be planning several trips to Disney!:cool1:

. . . DH works for a small company (less than 25 employees) so there is no employee handbook or written guidelines for vacation time. I feel like we have no recourse . . . His boss simply said that the company had deadlines to meet and in this economy, if they didn't meet them, someone else would. End of conversation.

1) I have been
. . . CEO of a multi-national company
. . . Managing Director of a small domestic company
. . . General Manager of small and medium international companies
2) There are certain laws that must be followed.
. . . yes, the boss can rescind vacations
. . . yes, in most cases, the boss can force overtime
. . . no, the boss cannot deny compensation for above for hourly folks
. . . no, the boss cannot deny compensation for vacations for salaried folks
3) The "earned vacation" is just that, EARNED.
4) It must be paid, or the company can be sued.
5) There is only one exception.
. . . if employees voluntarily do not use their vacation, they can lose it

NOTE: Since the OP's husband works for a SMALL company, it might not be
wise to sue for lost vacation time. This could result in job loss - of course
they would find another reason. So, I am not advocating a suit, just saying
that under law, there should be some kind of compensation for earned time.

1) 2) There are certain laws that must be followed.
. . . yes, the boss can rescind vacations
. . . yes, in most cases, the boss can force overtime
. . . no, the boss cannot deny compensation for above for hourly folks
. . . no, the boss cannot deny compensation for vacations for salaried folks
3) The "earned vacation" is just that, EARNED.
4) It must be paid, or the company can be sued.
5) There is only one exception.
. . . if employees voluntarily do not use their vacation, they can lose it

NOTE: Since the OP's husband works for a SMALL company, it might not be
wise to sue for lost vacation time. This could result in job loss - of course
they would find another reason. So, I am not advocating a suit, just saying
that under law, there should be some kind of compensation for earned time.

I really appreciate this information!!! I had those very questions. DH is a salaried employee and last year he used only 4 of his vacation days. He was supposed to also be off during the week between Christmas and New Years but that was eliminated by the company with no compensation. DH was fine with it as he (ironically) really tries to be a team player. He was supposed to have that week off this coming holiday season as well but obviously, he will not.

The week between Christmas and New Years is a company wide vacation week but he has to use his time earned in order to be paid for that week.

Even though the company has no formal written way for salaried employees to request leave, they do for hourly employees. Funny story: Yesterday DH requested a "vacation request" form. His boss (the one directly over him, not the aforementioned jerk of an owner) said, "why would you want one, you don't need it". Ummmm, yeah he did because our trip in February will happen. Attached to the request was a printed page outlining our financial loses from having to reschedule and what those will be if the trip is cancelled again. DH is keeping very close records of hours worked etc. If this happens again, we will likely sue for the expense of recheduling/cancelling our trip and the loss of vacation time.

We only lost the difference between going from value season to regular season, the difference between preferred and premium because that was all the was available in February, and the one way plane ticket for my daughter.

RustyScupper: If you have any other words of advice as to how to protect ourselves in the event that this should happen again, I'm all ears!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter