Need to show drivers license for a return?????

kandb

DIS Veteran
Anyone work in the retail industry? I live in NJ and went with my daughter to return a shirt I bought her at a popular store. I bought it for her less then a week ago with her store gift card she got for Christmas. We had the receipt and it was for this one item. All we were doing is returning and putting the credit back on her gift card. I left my pocketbook in the car and was shocked when the saleswoman said I had to show my license. Why? I had the receipt as proof of purchase and my daughters was with me and we had her gift card (the gift card had nothing to do with why I needed to show my license). I went and got my drivers license and she put the license into the machine to scan it. What is the purpose of this? I had proof I paid for it and there was no reason for me having to show my license. It really bothered me but we were in a rush so I didn't want to fight it.

Anyone work in the retail industry? I live in NJ and went with my daughter to return a shirt I bought her at a popular store. I bought it for her less then a week ago with her store gift card she got for Christmas. We had the receipt and it was for this one item. All we were doing is returning and putting the credit back on her gift card. I left my pocketbook in the car and was shocked when the saleswoman said I had to show my license. Why? I had the receipt as proof of purchase and my daughters was with me and we had her gift card (the gift card had nothing to do with why I needed to show my license). I went and got my drivers license and she put the license into the machine to scan it. What is the purpose of this? I had proof I paid for it and there was no reason for me having to show my license. It really bothered me but we were in a rush so I didn't want to fight it.

This is pretty common practice nowadays for many retailers. It is aimed at deterring fraudulent returns. Even with the receipt, you would be amazed at some of the insane practices that some people use to defraud retailers, such as returning counterfeit merchandise, returning items that have been used or damaged (not always easy to tell right away for some items) or returning items using barcodes or tags from another, more expensive item.

By taking a license scan, they can more easily pursue cases of fraud and identify repeat offenders.

where I work, you only have to show a license if you have no receipt. that seems strange but I guess that might just be their policy for whatever reason. Maybe someone else who works in another retail store will know,

This is pretty common practice nowadays for many retailers. It is aimed at deterring fraudulent returns. Even with the receipt, you would be amazed at some of the insane practices that some people use to defraud retailers, such as returning counterfeit merchandise, returning items that have been used or damaged (not always easy to tell right away for some items) or returning items using barcodes or tags from another, more expensive item.

By taking a license scan, they can more easily pursue cases of fraud and identify repeat offenders.

That's a very good point in the tag switching. We have a lot of problems with that where I work.

I got very annoyed with this on my last trip to Orlando (outlets up at International Drive). After I had swiped my card I realised that one of the discounts hadn't been run up properly. The shop assistant said it was easier to just finish the payment and then do refund and repurchase. I thought it would have been easier to cancel the transaction (I hadn't signed or clicked OK or whatever yet) but figured I'd just go with whatever she knew how to do. Then they made me show my license for the return transaction. I complained to the manager and asked what info they needed and what they do with the info and eventually just handed it over but I made it clear that I wasn't impressed given that I was standing there and doing what they asked me rather than choosing to return something. I understand for larger items likely to be subject to theft or fraud or whatever it might be needed but not for a tshirt.

I got very annoyed with this on my last trip to Orlando (outlets up at International Drive). After I had swiped my card I realised that one of the discounts hadn't been run up properly. The shop assistant said it was easier to just finish the payment and then do refund and repurchase. I thought it would have been easier to cancel the transaction (I hadn't signed or clicked OK or whatever yet) but figured I'd just go with whatever she knew how to do. Then they made me show my license for the return transaction. I complained to the manager and asked what info they needed and what they do with the info and eventually just handed it over but I made it clear that I wasn't impressed given that I was standing there and doing what they asked me rather than choosing to return something. I understand for larger items likely to be subject to theft or fraud or whatever it might be needed but not for a tshirt.

That's ridiculous. Doesn't seem like the cashier knew what she was doing.

OK, I guess less people will commit fraudulent actions if they have to show their drivers license, even tho I am sure some people get fraudulent licenses as well.

I bought a Dyson V8 (600 vacuum) at a discount store recently. Got home to put it together right away. It was a different vacuum inside! The person who bought and returned it did it in a very obvious way to not be caught, even down to wrapping tape around the stick to make it the color the version pictured was. I couldn't believe it. I was afraid they were going to think I'd switched the vacuum. I did have to show my ID and they recorded (by hand) info into a lot for the return. I really wonder if they thought I did it!

Agree it is a fraud deterrent. Where I work you only need the licence if you do not have a receipt however as far as returns you would be amazed at what people do. Use coupons to get the item for free and then return it, put rocks in a box, take out part of the item and return it, switch tags and multiple other things

Some stores you are only allowed so many returns per month to avoid fraud since there are people who shoplift daily then return the goods for store credit or cash if allowed.

I just returned several shirts that my sister bought for my daughter. I didn't return for cash, but store credit because I'm sure my daughter will find something else she likes (the shirts my sister got where too big). I had all the receipts (from NJ) and I returned them in GA....no questions asked. Did not ask for any ID.

I can see why the OP is a little annoyed, but this doesn't bother me. I figure, checks like this keep prices down for the 99% of us that are honest. Retail fraud is big business, I don't blame the retailers for fighting back.

This happened to me in Babies R Us. I did have the receipt. I was very surprised but it didn't bother me, I had my wallet out anyway.

I bought a Dyson V8 (600 vacuum) at a discount store recently. Got home to put it together right away. It was a different vacuum inside! The person who bought and returned it did it in a very obvious way to not be caught, even down to wrapping tape around the stick to make it the color the version pictured was. I couldn't believe it. I was afraid they were going to think I'd switched the vacuum. I did have to show my ID and they recorded (by hand) info into a lot for the return. I really wonder if they thought I did it!

Similar thing happened to me recently, except I'm pretty sure I know who made the switcheroo. :(
I was at a baby shower and the hostess was showing off her brand new kitchenaid stand mixer and also trying to sell her much older, much inferior mixer. She talked up the new mixer so much I asked where she got hers and went to buy that one the very next day. Thankfully I peeked inside the box before purchasing, because I thought it might have been opened, although it wasn't super obvious. Imagine my surprise when I saw the exact model and color of old mixer the gal had been trying to sell the night before in the box from the exact model of new mixer she had. I guess I can't say 100% it was her since I didn't actually see who brought it back, but what are the odds? I was so disappointed.

I could share some doozie stories about ridiculous returns, and it's been years since I worked retail, I bet it's even worse now.

Similar thing happened to me recently, except I'm pretty sure I know who made the switcheroo. :(
I was at a baby shower and the hostess was showing off her brand new kitchenaid stand mixer and also trying to sell her much older, much inferior mixer. She talked up the new mixer so much I asked where she got hers and went to buy that one the very next day. Thankfully I peeked inside the box before purchasing, because I thought it might have been opened, although it wasn't super obvious. Imagine my surprise when I saw the exact model and color of old mixer the gal had been trying to sell the night before in the box from the exact model of new mixer she had. I guess I can't say 100% it was her since I didn't actually see who brought it back, but what are the odds? I was so disappointed.

I could share some doozie stories about ridiculous returns, and it's been years since I worked retail, I bet it's even worse now.
Did you point out the switch to the people at the store?

It's pretty common around here to have to show your license to do a return or even a pick up. I was at the jewelry store since I'd lost one of the diamonds from my wedding ring.

A person came in to pick up her dropped off item that was repaired. She had the repair slip but not her ID - they wouldn't even pull the item out of the back without her ID. She got annoyed but went to her car to get it.
I was glad they insisted because otherwise anyone could pick up your item if you lost the repair slip and some stranger found it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter