Need tips on seasons

Nemo32

DIS Veteran
Hi I'm new to the DIS but have been to WDW 3x before. I'm planning a trip for this year with a friend and can't decide if January or March is a better time to go. I worry January may be too cold and March may be too crowded, even though I'd get there 2 weeks before Easter.

Anyone with experience with these times of the year who could lead me in the right direction?

Thanks! :)

We were there this past March (the first week) and the crowds weren't too bad (we arrived early). The weather was beautiful. Some days it was a bit warm for me (not humid, just a hot sun), but I'm not a fan of the heat so most people would probably be fine. My boys swam in the resort pool.

I know that when planning the trip, we checked crowd numbers and we felt that the first week would be ok because it was before most people arrived for spring breaks and such.

I think if you go 2 weeks before Easter you'd probably be ok.

With that said, we're planning a trip for January 2008. I'd love to go back the same week in March, but we were homeschooling before and school schedules didn't matter. This year both of our older boys are going to public school and we don't want to take them out for a whole week. So we've chosen a week in January when they'll have Martin Luther off as well as 2 days at the end of that week. I'm looking forward to it. I think the weather will be cool (Fall is my favorite time of year and I think the weather will be similar to that) and the crowds low (except for MLK). I'd much rather walk around with a sweater on and not get tired from walking in the heat. From what I've looked at, the average temp. in January is 60-70 (the high of course). I know people have said it can be colder or hotter, but those are the averages. I checked out the temps for those dates and the last two years and it looked good. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

If you have any questions about the beginning of March, let me know!

What is more important to you? Weather or crowds?

March you may hit some higher crowd levels but the weather will be nice.

January is empty, BUT there's a big gamble with the weather. I've gone three times in January. One of the times I was there for two weeks. The first week was a conference at the Dolphin & it was warm enough to swim & tan. Then I moved to Poly for a week vacation & it was COLD! I mean buy a new coat at DTD cold. Like buy gloves & a scarf cold. I'm from NY & on one of the days it was actually colder in WDW than home in NY! People call it "unseasonably cold" but I feel that's not true. I've been to WDW a total of 4 weeks over the past couple of years & every week but one was COLD. Now, the crowds, or lack there of, were great in Jan. If low crowds are your number 1 priority, than I say pack accordingly & go in Jan, you'll have a great time if you have in your head that there's a good chance of it being extremely cold.

I've been in January and March. Hands down I pick January. It can get quite chilly so just be ready for it. The thing about Florida is it can be really cold in the morning, but once that Florida sun comes out it really warms up fast. (Trust me I live in South Florida) So just be prepared for the morning and the evening. The crowds in Jan. are great compared to March.:rolleyes1

Thanks for the advice. We don't like cold weather too much, so I may take the chance with crowds in March, being I've been to WDW with lots of crowds before. Maybe it'll be easier to weave in and out of people only being two of us? We'll see.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter